Solstice - South Pacific - Sky Suite – Live Adventure (Trip Report)

chrisaus

Ahh a sea day – I have grown to really love sea days. Even better a sea day on Monday morning – while the rest of the world was up and rushing to work I work up at about 8am and made a bee line for the gym. The past 4 cruises have taught me that if I don’t go to the gym every morning then by the end of the cruise I will be heading home as one fatty pumba. I did a solid 35 mins of cardio then went back to the stateroom to wake my BF and we headed to the buffet for breakfast.

I need to say I really love the buffet on the solstice class as compared to Millennium class. They one central area feels better and easier.

The program was packed for the day – I had never see a day schedule as packed. Trusty orange highlighter in hand we made plans for the day – which promptly went out the window as we explored the vessel. We did a few activities such a craps lessons, bingo, Fiji cooking demonstration interspersed with hot tubs in the rain.

Cooking demonstration with speciality dinning head chef:

IMG_2174_zps5j66aidm.jpg

IMG_2175_zpsr0kchntv.jpg

Glass blowing:

IMG_2181_zps43yif1wh.jpg

Bingo:

IMG_2183_zpswam8a96u.jpg

IMG_2215_zpsnlee0il4.jpg

In the evening we went to the 7pm show – “Broken Strings”. This turned out to be a really good show. Names can be deceiving “Broken Strings” isn’t exactly a name that gets the punters excited. Great voice on the male lead. He is doing a solo show tomorrow at 2pm which I will definitely attend. Having the orchestra and band placed throughout the set was great and the cast gave it all they had.

IMG_2189_zpsrtiutqua.jpg

IMG_2195_zpskofgfl12.jpg

IMG_2196_zps3tpcpury.jpg

We had an officers reception at 8pm in the lobby

IMG_2213_zpssqwgxs2m.jpg

We had dinner in Murano – simply spectacular!

IMG_2218_zpsnt7fp6qf.jpg

IMG_2220_zpswp9ni7bm.jpg

IMG_2225_zpsjduozxbu.jpg

IMG_2228_zps9mrrfxso.jpg

IMG_2232_zps5azgtpy0.jpg

IMG_2237_zpsyyqlfoc7.jpg

We went to the mentalist show after dinner but we were running a little late and it was in the celebrity theatre and it was packed. By the time we arrived they were queing out the door – bad mentalist who did not forsee the crowds for his show and put it in a bigger venue.

Just wondering if you have the beverage package and if the drinks in the molecular bar were included in the premium package, I didn't see m prices on the menu.

We will be sailing next month on the Solstice so thankyou for doing the review, sure helps to count the days ;)

Bev

They were when we sailed on her over Christmas. The molecular bar drinks were $15.50 (gratuity inclusive) and that was the upper limit of the package.

We found that there was one really good bartender there, who was very snappy with service and quite cheerful, and one guy who was surly and grumpy - he was taller than the good bartender but that's all I can remember.

I got off as you got on.... did a great deal of waving from under an umbrella in torrential rain outside the Opera House as you were reversing out. I am soooo sad not to be on board and know you are going to have a blast.

Thanks for your awesome report! enjoy your time in Sydney!

Loving your review of the Sky Suite trip on Solly you are on now. We are booked in an SS (S2) cabin 2126 for a cruise out of Sydney (27 Nov), so keen to learn as much as I can. Some questions if I may,

1. the iPad/iPod docking station does it have the wider old iPhone connector or the newer lightening connector and or can it take both.... Otherwise I will bring my Bluetooth speaker.

2. Are there binoculars in the Sky suite and are they any good or are they cheap and nasty.?

3. Noting the weather on your departure (which I watched via Sydney Harbour web cam) is there an umbrella (golf or otherwise) in the suite?

4. Can you as suite guests dine at Blu? Without any hassle? Mind you Luminae sounds/ looks fantastic.

Hi Mate -

Glad to help - its the older iPod/iphone connector so bring an adapter if you have the new one.

Yes there are little tiny binoculars - look pretty cheap but I'm not to sure.

Yes there is an umbrella - one of this collapsable ones.

I will try Blu and let you know.

Just wondering if you have the beverage package and if the drinks in the molecular bar were included in the premium package, I didn't see m prices on the menu.

We will be sailing next month on the Solstice so thankyou for doing the review, sure helps to count the days ;)

Bev

Hi Bev - We had the classic package included which we upgrade to the premium package on the first day.

Bev

Classic=No

Premium=Yes

Hi Mate -

Glad to help - its the older iPod/iphone connector so bring an adapter if you have the new one.

Yes there are little tiny binoculars - look pretty cheap but I'm not to sure.

Yes there is an umbrella - one of this collapsable ones.

I will try Blu and let you know.

Thanks heaps for your speedy response to my Qs. Interested you thoughts on Blu once you dine there, cheers John

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Another Sea Day – bliss :)

My dear BF had a big night out on the boat and arrived home at about 3am! There was not chance he would be up anytime before 2pm so today was my day to explore and chill by myself.

I started with a gym work out then made a bee line to Luminae for breakfast. Mix up number 1 occurred here where I wan after some granola – that somehow ended up as oats which were covered in yoghurt. Now I am lactose intolerant and a bowl full of yogurt would not have ended up well! My poor waiter ran all over the ship before triumphantly presenting me a bowl of dry oats. At this stage the maître de had come over and the confusion was quickly resolved.

I love the caramel croissant in Luminae

IMG_2239_zpshyizoac1.jpg

So yummy, but so bad for you!

Breakfast - poached eggs, english muffin, bacon and hash

IMG_2240_zps5owdfuw7.jpg

There are large group of Embroiders on board. I am unsure of what the correct term is for a group of them – a flock of embroiders? A herd of embroiders? A murder of embroiders?

IMG_2243_zpsteay1n4y.jpg

Next up I headed to the sky lounge to work on this blog and on the side watched rehearsals for the upcoming flash mob and tango lessons. I got kicked out for a function (yes I know shocking but my knowledge of Embroiders is dreadful) so went to Michaels club.

IMG_2246_zpsslnczfo2.jpg

Had a great chuckle overhearing the grandmothers in the lounge discussing their favorite grand children and why they dislike others!

Edited by chrisaus

Lunch was again solo in Luminae:

Menu:

IMG_2251_zpsjas0yuxb.jpg

Burrata, Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil, Crispy Parmasen

IMG_2247_zps88rq1yom.jpg

Grilled Fillet Cob

IMG_2248_zpsgfeip8fj.jpg

In the afternoon I went to the matinee show staring the lead from the night before. He did great but the songs were really targeted to an older demographic.

I finished my book in the afternoon before we had dinner in Luminae. We were forced to walk the work of shame from Luminae as we turned up in shorts instead of long pants. Luminae was a bit of a disappointment that night with the food just to heavy. The service was top notch as always.

Menu:

IMG_2249_zpsusus4k3y.jpg

Veal Cannelloni

IMG_2262_zpsacltgpyf.jpg

I had the spicy rice

IMG_2263_zpsf1lvpte1.jpg

A quite day today but I needed it. Really getting in to the holiday mode.

We really need to think through what we order in Luminae - its all so indulgent! We could not eat the veal Cannelloni was over indulgent - cream, stock, beef and truffle.

PS – My BF got up at 3pm!

OP;

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review with pictures. I just booked the Sydney to Honolulu Solstice cruise in April 2018. Even though ir's two years away, great stuff like your review and pictures will keep the excitement going till we board.....:):):)

Bob

Very enjoyable report, many thanks.

It does bring a smile seeing the Luminae dishes that I never ordered due to not knowing/understanding what they were. Looks like the fillet Cobb is beef from that pic. I always assumed it was chicken. Menu gobbledygook is terrible in that restaurant and hardly sensible for non native English speaking guests.

I too ordered the veal cannelloni and managed about half of it finding it far too rich for my liking.

Today we were in Lifou and had booked the tour to Amedee island.

The day started early with a 7:15 room service breakfast delivered. It always makes me always feel so lux to get room service. Our fabulous butler set the table on the deck and we indulged in breakfast as we arrived into Noumea.

IMG_2270_zpslfdu4wo6.jpg

IMG_2271_zpsxx2gt2zb.jpg

We made our way to the theatre and soon afterwards exited the Solstice directly onto waiting buses who took us to the boat.

The staff were sounding a but rough – they had a crew party on the top lawn last night and I think there were a few soar heads!

At the point I’ve got to say that this was one of the best organized shore excursions ever (and there was not a celebrity shore staff member in site)

Our main guide was Michael and he was amazing! Perfect.

The boat whisked us to the island in about 40 minutes – arriving at about 9:40. We set up “camp” under and umbrella on the beach.

View from the boat to the island:

GOPR0203_zps8pooqcp0.jpg

Looking back from where we set up to the boat:

GOPR0210_zpsvdhaxwzr.jpg

GOPR0365-0001_zpsr6epparq.jpg

At 10am our group had the glass bottom boat. Unfortunately the weather had worsened and it was now pouring rain. This highlight had to be Michael taking waterproof cameras under the boat and getting videos/pictures for us.

GOPR0227_zpspb7wqxv6.jpg

We then took the big boat out to the reef to see some larger fish.

GOPR0351-0001_zpsqp6lnbah.jpg

On return we had a buffet lunch. Man did they over cater so much left over food. The afternoon was our chance for free time and snorkeling so I did not want to eat a huge meal before hand.

GOPR0370_zpsan4xn3ez.jpg

There were snakes! Not dangerous but its pretty hard not to get a fright when you are walking along and there is a snake – or even a bit scarier when it swims in from of your snorkel when your are snorkelling!

GOPR0214_zpscb0pivmb.jpg

We went snorkeling in the afternoon and it was okay. By no means bad but not spectacular. I think they add in all the other activity’s because they know the snorkeling is not great. We skipped the cultural dancing and sarong demonstration to spend some time on the beach lounges. We did goto the coconut demonstration and enjoyed some fresh coconut. At about 3pm the boat took has back to the main island. Just was we pulled in it began to torrentially downpour so it was a wet run to the bus!

Back onboard we showered and had a hot tub. We had planned to just goto the buffet for dinner but ended up in Luminae. Delicious and saucy as always! Next time we eat there we are going to ask for healthy options.

Dinner Menu:

IMG_2284_zpss8cljotm.jpg

IMG_2286_zpsfal9nb9k.jpg

IMG_2288_zpszybr0138.jpg

IMG_2289_zpscfex9om6.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsfxjkkwq4.jpg

IMG_2291_zpstcqj354f.jpg

After dinner I dropped by guest relations to get a copy of my statement, They day before I had got a copy to find out ½ of our onboard credit was missing. They took my details and said they would email Miami to sort it out and call me the next day. Alas no call or voicemail so I had to follow up - and explain the whole story all over again. I’m hoping it gets sorted soon!

We crashed out in our room and watched the movie spy on the on demand system.

In retrospect was the Amedee island trip worth $250 each – probably not – at $200 I would have been happy. But I do not regret doing it.

Edited by chrisaus

Delicious and saucy as always! Next time we eat there we are going to ask for healthy options.

Aren't the healthier options generally found in Blu? As a suite guest, I thought you could choose to go there? Also check out AquaSpa cafe, some great breakfast and lunch heathy choices there.