Med cruise in late April-rough seas?

srqbabe

I have the opportunity to go on the Silver Spirit April 26-May 2 from Barcelona to Rome. Can anyone give me weather details for a cruise during this time? The weather is supposed to be mid/high 50's-mid 60's during this time but how does this translate on board? Clothes etc? The thing I'm most concerned about is whether we will encounter rough seas during this time. Any details would be great. Thanks!

I have the opportunity to go on the Silver Spirit April 26-May 2 from Barcelona to Rome. Can anyone give me weather details for a cruise during this time? The weather is supposed to be mid/high 50's-mid 60's during this time but how does this translate on board? Clothes etc? The thing I'm most concerned about is whether we will encounter rough seas during this time. Any details would be great. Thanks!

It should be warmer than you are expecting as by late April/early May temperatures should be in the low to mid 70s on shore but a little cooler on deck. We live in Southern Spain and the temperature today is 74 degrees - last week it was into the 80s.

You may get a swell but rough seas are generally unusual at that time of year.

On shore Shorts and TShirts should be fine but wear a sweater on deck.

Get your cruise booked - you will enjoy your time in the Med.

Edited by campolady

Thanks all. What do you mean Keith when you say I won't know when I'm at sea? I guess I was thinking of ports and enjoying life on deck. We've only done 1 caribbean cruise in the summer so I'm wrapping my head around cool weather on a cruise (even in the Med I tend to think of warm:)

• 2 months later...

Sunday April 24 we boarded the Epic, headed for Naples. The sea was heavy, starting about an hour out of port, through the first night and lasting until midday Monday. Waves were more than 20 feet. Loose furniture got tossed about. Waves splashed our balcony on deck 11. The next day at the m&g veteran cruisers were saying that they had never had that rough a trip.

The last night was also rough, but not as bad as the first night.

Weather was not what we expected. The temperature on that cruise stayed in the 50's and 60's. We had one warm sunny afternoon, while we were in Cannes. Never got to try the water slides.

Sunday April 24 we boarded the Epic, headed for Naples. The sea was heavy, starting about an hour out of port, through the first night and lasting until midday Monday. Waves were more than 20 feet. Loose furniture got tossed about. Waves splashed our balcony on deck 11. The next day at the m&g veteran cruisers were saying that they had never had that rough a trip.

The last night was also rough, but not as bad as the first night.

Weather was not what we expected. The temperature on that cruise stayed in the 50's and 60's. We had one warm sunny afternoon, while we were in Cannes. Never got to try the water slides.

But we went the previous week and it was lovely. We only had a few drops of rain on Saturday 23rd. Sea was calm all week. In fact the weather in Cannes was much nicer than when we visited in July 2010.

You cannot guarantee weather - but you can assume that good weather is more likely than what this poster experienced.