Cold weather cruising. Montreal and New England

Ravenscroft

Contemplating our first cold weather cruise.

Getting time off work has made it difficult to plan holidays this year, but we can both arrange time off to take the Quest Atlantic Harbors cruise this year. The problem is that it departs Montreal on the 21st October.

The cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale so we will add on a couple of days in Florida to hopefully enjoy some warm weather there.

My question is, can this itinerary still be enjoyed, given that it's likely to be too late to see the Fall colours and it's even likelier to be cold? We've only taken warm weather cruises so far and I'm not sure how much I'd miss sitting out on our balcony, dining outside and so on.

It would have been easier if you could have included the ports but I just did research and looked it up.

This is a terrific itinerary and yes you will miss the leaves turning but one never knows precisely when they will turn as it is different each year. And yes, it will be cooler in some of the ports.

With that said it's a wonderful cruise and there is so much to see and do on all of these ports.

And you just have to layer clothing.

I would book this cruise in a heartbeat knowing that there will be much to see in each port.

And the good news is that you end in Florida at a perfect time of the year. Expect beautiful weather in Florida.

Keith

Thank you Keith, and yes you're quite right it would have helped if I'd listed the ports. Oversight on my part!

They are :

Montreal

Quebec City

Cap-aux-Meules

Sydney,Novia Scotia

Bar Harbour, Maine

Salem, Mass

New York City

Charleston, SC

Fort Lauderdale

Edited by Ravenscroft

We have twice taken a Canada New England cruise, the last being in 2014 on Regent. It's rated as our best cruise so far. We sailed from Montreal 22nd October. Yes we had cold weather, but it did not affect us in any way. We so enjoyed it all, and as we arrived in South Carolina the temperature was improving, and by Florida it was very warm. Mind you we live in the North East of Scotland and are used to cold weather, but we really enjoyed the cruise. Thankfully we had a good luggage allowance for the 2 different types of clothing required.;). Hope you enjoy, Jean.

I asked the same question last year prior to deciding to do Montreal-Boston on the Quest and was told the same as others have said, do it. We are so glad we did, it was a fabulous cruise.

We went in Sept and were expecting cold weather but it was much warmer than expected. (Where I'm from it has been 30-35C for the past couple of months.) By the end of Oct it will be colder but I do not think it will matter, it is a fabulous region to visit which I am sure you will enjoy.

Some of the ports you have listed are different to ours so I can't comment on those. When we got to Boston I was not wanting to get off and would have loved to be heading to Florida as your cruise will be.

Thank you Keith, and yes you're quite right it would have helped if I'd listed the ports. Oversight on my part!

They are :

Montreal

Quebec City

Cap-aux-Meules

Sydney,Novia Scotia

Bar Harbour, Maine

Salem, Mass

New York City

Charleston, SC

Fort Lauderdale

Salem around Halloween should have some interesting local and touristy flair.

I asked the same question last year prior to deciding to do Montreal-Boston on the Quest and was told the same as others have said, do it. We are so glad we did, it was a fabulous cruise.

ab21au

which excursions would you recommend to take based on your trip?

We will be on the Quest going the other direction in October. Looking at the excursions on-line we found that the choice is huge and we appreciate any help!

Wow, Wish you could wait until a Northern New Englander chimed in. We live in the middle of NH and by the end of Oct. the weather is definitely an issue. We have had snow as early as 10/27 and remember Montreal is 300m north and the St. Lawrence goes north from Montreal.

Second problem; the peak foliage in our region is Columbus day weekend, if you are interested in color you are probably too late.

I agree this is a fabulous itinerary and DW and I are going to do it at some point especially for the Canadian part, but, we will do it one month earlier.

Hi Keith.

Wow, Wish you could wait until a Northern New Englander chimed in. We live in the middle of NH and by the end of Oct. the weather is definitely an issue. We have had snow as early as 10/27 and remember Montreal is 300m north and the St. Lawrence goes north from Montreal.

Second problem; the peak foliage in our region is Columbus day weekend, if you are interested in color you are probably too late.

I agree this is a fabulous itinerary and DW and I are going to do it at some point especially for the Canadian part, but, we will do it one month earlier.

Hi Keith.

Hi newlondon, thanks for your reply and it's good to hear from a New Englander.

I'm absolutely not expecting to see any colour so I'm ok with that.

As for the weather, yup I hear you!

It's still the tail end of hurricane season for the part of the cruise down to Florida.:eek: Not to mention the possibility of snow and winter storms up north!

It's going to be an adventure, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be "too much" of an adventure.

I now live in Toronto, but I was very fortunate to be born and raised in Prince Edward Island. I am slightly biased but it it truly one of the most beautiful places...and I have traveled throughout the world.

Re weather in later Oct, I would say it is not ideal but could be lovely. Remember there is an big difference between NH and the Maritimes. In the fall the water is warm and provides a warming effect (opposite is true in spring). I have also found that compared to 15 or 20 years ago, the weather ( as much of the world) is warmer in the fall than when it once was. For example, when I was a child, the leaves were down by Canadian Thanksgiving, now it would be 3 weeks later or more ( end of Oct or early Nov). The thing to remember is that fall in eastern Canada can be variable. One day lovely warm sunshine and then the next cold and rainy. It would not put me off doing an Oct cruise.

On a side note, I don't understand why Seabpurn doesn't add more cruises for this itinerary earlier in the season, from summer to end of fall season.

DO book~~I truly enjoyed this cruise, sailing it twice. Loved all the ports.

Take a few sweaters and a warm jacket ~~

Happing sails

Martita B.

Thank you Martita!

I'll take the usual clothes that I'd wear at home at that time of year, which will include a warm jacket and work with layers as I would at home.

Plus some warm weather clothing for Florida.

Packing should be interesting but same as Jean pointed out earlier, we will have a generous baggage allowance.