Advice Anthem of Sea from NJ Dec 2016

Hi:

Looking for some advice. We (my family of four) has booked Jewel of the Sea for Spring Break April 2017, having been on Adventure for Spring Break April 2015. Looking forward to the Jewel refurbishment, seeing two islands we didnt see in 2015 and for my son and wife to experience the tour my daughter and I did in St. Lucia while she was at the orthopedist with him as he broke his arm the night before rollerblading on deck.

My father in law wants to take away his three kids and their families for his 80th Dec 2016. We all live in NJ/NY, so he was looking to leave from one of the NYC ports. The only one of the 10 cruises during December 2016 that works for the kids school schedules would be Anthem leaving on 12/23 and returning on 1/2/16.

Before anyone has any comments to make about looking a gift horse in the mouth, etc., I know, its an extremely generous gift (he's taken us away before, most notably a cruise from NYC over Thanksgiving week 9 years ago which never made it further south than Norfolk VA and had to return because of a broken pod or something). However, the Anthem is a 10 day cruise with 5 sea days, and days 2-3 and 9-10 will likely be cold weather, thus wiping out the use of the pools, etc., correct.

We like the Jewel and Adventure because there is only one sea day, with five consecutive ports. I am afraid that in cold weather we are going to lose our minds with four cold and one luke warm sea days. I know that Anthem is much bigger and likely has more things to do than either Jewel or Adventure, but do you think this cruise makes any sense?

thanks for any advice.

mixplix

Took the family on a 12 day Xmas/New Years sailing on Explorer a few years back. Kids loved it. Ship was all decked out for the holidays. Cruise director led Xmas carols on the promenade. Santa had gifts for all the kids. New Years eve was a blast with champagne, live broadcast from Times Sq and huge balloon drop at midnight. The first and last days were chilly, but that didn't spoil the fun. And Explorer didn't even have an indoor pool or seaplex complex. Finally, driving to the ship saves you one or two travel days and all the hassle of flying. Go for it.

Hi:

However, the Anthem is a 10 day cruise with 5 sea days, and days 2-3 and 9-10 will likely be cold weather, thus wiping out the use of the pools, etc., correct.

We like the Jewel and Adventure because there is only one sea day, with five consecutive ports. I am afraid that in cold weather we are going to lose our minds with four cold and one luke warm sea days. I know that Anthem is much bigger and likely has more things to do than either Jewel or Adventure, but do you think this cruise makes any sense?

mixplix

I was on the Anthem holiday cruise that departed on Dec 19th, 2015 and returned on Dec 27th, 2015 with close and extended family of multiple generations. It was an itinerary of 2 sea days down, followed by 3 ports in the Bahamas, and 2 sea days return.

It seemed to me that the captain motored down south as quickly as possible after leaving port then slowed down after hitting more pleasant weather, and as a result we were able to wear shorts and t-shirts later in day 2. Similarly on the return run, the last day was full speed ahead after trying to soak up as much sun as possible before heading north. (Norwegian Breakaway does similar itineraries with half the sea days, so the travel is perfectly doable. Royal simply spreads it out for a more relaxed time-frame and additional sun.)

Anthem is a gigantic ship specifically designed to cruise out of colder ports year-round, and as a result there are loads of indoor spaces and venues. There are indeed multiple indoor pools and a fully enclosed Solarium for indoor relaxation, Seaplex is so much fun for kids, (can you say bumper cars?) Music Hall was fun for the adults, and Two70 is a nice space for everyone to relax indoors.

As for the holidays, poinsettias were everywhere on the main decks and on Christmas Santa arrived bearing gifts for the kids, and spending Christmas at sea with my family made memories I will treasure forever. (However, you may end up noticing that starting on Christmas you will see a lot more people wearing Apple Watches.)

Based on your previous cruises this will be a different experience, but it should be spectacular none-the-less.

Thanks for all the advice - you are making me feel better about this! My problem with the sea days is that I am not a fan of fighting for chairs, trying to get the group to be able to sit together, etc. -

it seems like anthem has a lot to do, and maybe I can become a pro at the wave rider?

Thanks for all the advice - you are making me feel better about this! My problem with the sea days is that I am not a fan of fighting for chairs, trying to get the group to be able to sit together, etc. -

it seems like anthem has a lot to do, and maybe I can become a pro at the wave rider?

You let people do whatever they want. Don't make yourself miserable by trying to be the Shepherd-in-Charge.

:)

Looks like we are booked - father in law got a suite for him and balconies for the adults with the kids

in inside rooms across from their parents (I wasn't thrilled with kids being in balcony rooms which weren't connecting which he initially booked) - my kids are 13 and 11 - the rest are older.

Hi:

Looking for some advice. We (my family of four) has booked Jewel of the Sea for Spring Break April 2017, having been on Adventure for Spring Break April 2015. Looking forward to the Jewel refurbishment, seeing two islands we didnt see in 2015 and for my son and wife to experience the tour my daughter and I did in St. Lucia while she was at the orthopedist with him as he broke his arm the night before rollerblading on deck.

My father in law wants to take away his three kids and their families for his 80th Dec 2016. We all live in NJ/NY, so he was looking to leave from one of the NYC ports. The only one of the 10 cruises during December 2016 that works for the kids school schedules would be Anthem leaving on 12/23 and returning on 1/2/16.

Before anyone has any comments to make about looking a gift horse in the mouth, etc., I know, its an extremely generous gift (he's taken us away before, most notably a cruise from NYC over Thanksgiving week 9 years ago which never made it further south than Norfolk VA and had to return because of a broken pod or something). However, the Anthem is a 10 day cruise with 5 sea days, and days 2-3 and 9-10 will likely be cold weather, thus wiping out the use of the pools, etc., correct.

thanks for any advice.

mixplix

Bring lots of warm clothes.