Miami airport to Port of Miami question

rdilipk

Hello -- new member here and our first ever 4-day cruise to Bahamas on Norwegian Sky. Apologies if these questions have been beaten to death. Some of these are bound to be silly too, so I hope the good denizens of this forum bear with me.

I made a newbie mistake of booking the flight on the same day of cruise departure. Its slated to sail out of Miami at 5PM and I am supposed to be there at least 2 hours prior. My flight reaches that day @ 10:20AM. So theoretically I am ok.

My question is, what is the best way to get to the Port of Miami? The consensus seems to be a Taxi? I did not realize that if I wanted to take the NCL transfer I had to have made arrangements 4 days prior to departure (among the bewildering array of information out there, I somehow missed this tiny detail).

If I were to take the taxi, where in Port of Miami should I ask the driver to take us? What kind of landmark should I give him? Is there a standard entrance where all of us get dropped? How far is the "check in spot" for the cruise from the drop off point? (I am asking because I am wondering how far I have to drag my luggage).

Just got back last night from cruising out of Miami. You can just grab a taxi. Tell the driver youre taking Norwegian and he will know where to take you. They will drop you off right in front of the terminal so you wont have to drag your luggage very far. Have a great time!

A taxi is the quickest way. It is a flat fee. $27 in November. There was a table set up near the luggage pick up where I purchased the bus transfer with NCL on the spot, but I had to wait around for an hour before getting on the bus. Also it was $16 per person. The taxi driver just needs to know the name of the ship in the event there is more than 1 Norwegian ship in port that day.

Just take the taxi.

$27.00 flat fee plus tip.

As he comes into the port the ships are very easy to see.

Here are a couple of ships.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8B_r8jCCEyE/VI8hNSblcSI/AAAAAAAAn-Y/ZGiZaqzbfh8/s1600/DSC_1676.jpg

And then an NCL ship.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jr0MWwzw6nc/VI9auezRFpI/AAAAAAAAn_s/Y_5-1VV0aBI/s1600/DSC_1692.jpg

Another day and another view.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hw-abMyHTWc/VJRa13XW2yI/AAAAAAAAoQc/wQapGE_nv3U/s1600/DSC_1793.jpg

Keith

A taxi or Uber is fastest. Uber is less than $20 with the car to yourself. Miami also has a Shared-Uber program, where the car picks up strangers who might be going somewhere else? but is cheaper.

Check your NCL sail pass documents. It will list which Terminal to check in. This is where you need to be dropped off. A porter (White hard hat) will be right there at the drop off point. (Probably close to the middle of the drop off shelter.) So very little luggage dragging. For the driver's reference, there are overhead street signs which list off the various ships in port and which traffic lane to stay in. This start once you enter the Port of Miami island.

Then you walk with your carry-on to the check-in building, which is also labeled "Terminal ?"

In February we walked out of the terminal and the line for a taxi was super long. Stood there about 10 minutes and barely moved.

There were also vans that were taking people to the airport if they were not full, $10pp. Drivers were comng over to the taxi line and asking if anyone wanted to take a shuttle to the airport. We did take the shuttle. Easy and a lot faster than the line was moving.

No clue why Miami port was only going so slow on letting the taxis into the port. When we left there was a parking lot full of taxi drivers just sitting. There was one gate that was letting the drivers through. I guess they were checking every credential cause it was moving like molasses.

As of our last cruise in February, Uber was NOT allowed to do pick ups at the Miami airport. Big fines for drivers if they try.

And OP....rarely do we spend the night prior to a cruise in the port city. We usually always fly in day of except if its the middle of winter and higher chance of bad weather here at home.