Coliseum Lines

msrendorg

I have heard that lines to tour the inside of the Coliseum even with skip the line tickets are awful - that it can take 60-90 minutes to get through. Evidently new security measures are taking a lot of time. We are planning to be in Rome on June 22nd. That's a lot of time when you only have one day.

Has anyone seen this problem or heard otherwise?

Following this too... I have read that the entrance from the Roman Forum side has shorter lines. I have 12:20 tickets for underground /3rd ring tour in early May. What time do I need to be there to get in?!? No guidance on ticket except lines are long even for tour ticket holders.

Advice anyone?

Edited by JenZ

Following this too... I have read that the entrance from the Roman Forum side has shorter lines. I have 12:20 tickets for underground /3rd ring tour in early May. What time do I need to be there to get in?!? No guidance on ticket except lines are long even for tour ticket holders.

Advice anyone?

As far as I know, there is only one entrance to the Colosseum, as shown below:

mapservices.jpg

There ARE several different points at which one can purchase a ticket (including the Palatine Hill entrance where the lines are usually shorter). But as far as avoiding the security and lines to actually enter the Colosseum, I think you're pretty much stuck.

Thank-you all for your insights. I already have my admission tickets as well as my tour tickets. I understand there are two lines- one to buy tickets and one for tickets holders to go through the security check. Now I know that there is only one entrance! ( thanks cruisemom42 for that awesome aerial) I am hopeful that early May is not the most crowded but I suspect it will be longer than 10 minutes to get through security- it is a busy May in Rome this year, I understand.

Maybe 30 minutes in advance may be a good guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The long lines are the ones who are buying tickets. If you have a pass or purchased your ticket online or another location then you will have a much shorter line to get inside. Also it's best to go first thing in the morning.

We had a Roma Pass and "passed" right by the long lines waiting to purchase tickets. But I do imagine that the tightened security will make line movement slower for everyone...and the security is necessary and appreciated.

A morning arrival should make for shorter lines and depending upon the time of year could save you from the heat of the afternoons. ~~Judy

Not sure if you're going to be in Rome just for the day in June or if you will be there overnight. But for anyone who will be in Rome of an evening, you can do night tours of the Colosseum during the summer months. We did this two years ago & it was great. It was much cooler, no lines, no crowds & the place looks great lit up at night. I think it started around 8.30pm & went for just under two hours. It was a real highlight of our trip.