Dining Alone

deise17311

Greetings all - I am embarking on my first solo cruise and have some questions about dining:

1. I wanted a table for 2 alone in the dining room but they waitlisted me (even though I booked well in advance) so I switched to anytime - what is the best time early to go for a single person to get a table for 2? 5:30?

2. I have never joined tables - how does this work - do you wait for table to fill before ordering? Should I try this or would be people not enjoy a single person (even though I am young (40) and good looking :)!)?

3. If I eat at the buffet to avoid the crowds I'm thinking 5:30 when they open? Having traveled through around 7 it always seems packed

4. If I go to the specialty restaurants I suppose again earlier is easier to make reservations for a table for one (would do this ahead of time)

Thanks all for your insight -

1)That would be a good time. Also see the Maître D. He could probably get you early seating if you see him quickly once on board.

2)They'll probably ask "Do you mind sharing?" We got that a lot when doing breakfast. Being a gay couple we prefer to dine at a table for 2. Prevents possibly unfriendly tablemates(yes, it happens once in a while)

3)On Regal they started opening about 5PM.

4)Yes. Sometimes I'd probably request a table for 2, but don't tell them it's really for 1. That way you can get your table for 2.

Thank you to the OP for bringing this topic to discussion. The joys of solo cruising are many and rewarding. It's great to know I'm not the only one who sometimes enjoys a quiet table for one at dinner in the MDR. Usually I come to the dining room after 7 in the evening (more sunset aft pool time, dressing for dinner, & a drink in Crooners or the Wheelhouse before din din). I never have to wait for either a table alone or to be seated with others.

My observations are that a table of six is ideal for sharing. Anything larger and conversations tend to become divided on both sides of the table. I cruise mostly on Princess, Holland America, & Celebrity. On Princess when I'm at a MDR table alone I am always treated like royalty. On Holland America MDR service is markedly more attentive when I'm seated with others. Sometimes the mix of table mates is awesome and occasionally not such a fluid social mix. On my Zuiderdam cruise last month I dined with the kindest & most interesting fellow cruisers every night.

Enjoy yourself and the "art" of solo cruising !

Thanks all for your help and advice - my first cruise alone in 4 days! I'm going to try a bit of everything for dining -

Be sure and come back here and let us know how your solo cruise experience, and possibly solo dining went.

Edited by Treven

I'm in my early 40's and although I often sail with friends, my favourite cruising experience was my solo cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012).

I made friends (Roll Call was great), and I had no obligations to anyone but myself.

It's a very freeing feeling!

I dined in the Buffet most nights, but did join some new friends at their table a couple of times.

My 2017 cruise is a solo cruise right now. My friends know that they are welcome to join me, but that I'm okay if they don't.

Don't tell them, but I'm hoping none can make it ;)

Edited by callmedeb

Now that the OP has sailed, I'm going to hijack their thread a little bit.

On all of my past cruises, I have always done Anytime dining. I'm going to be going on my first solo cruise next January and, since everything else in my life got shaken upside down, I figured I'd give traditional dining a try. On the Cruise Personaliser, I'm confirmed for the 1730hrs Traditional seating at a table for 2.

Now for my daft question: Is it pretty much guaranteed that I'll be at this table by myself or is there a chance that Princess will assign that open seat to another solo cruiser? At the risk of coming across as an anti-social jerk, I *really* want to dine alone on this cruise.

Now that the OP has sailed, I'm going to hijack their thread a little bit.

On all of my past cruises, I have always done Anytime dining. I'm going to be going on my first solo cruise next January and, since everything else in my life got shaken upside down, I figured I'd give traditional dining a try. On the Cruise Personaliser, I'm confirmed for the 1730hrs Traditional seating at a table for 2.

Now for my daft question: Is it pretty much guaranteed that I'll be at this table by myself or is there a chance that Princess will assign that open seat to another solo cruiser? At the risk of coming across as an anti-social jerk, I *really* want to dine alone on this cruise.

Yes to the bolded above. When you ask for a table for one, they will not bring another cruiser to your table.

I figured I'd give traditional dining a try. On the Cruise Personaliser, I'm confirmed for the 1730hrs Traditional seating at a table for 2.

No.

You are confirmed for the 17:30 Traditional seating with a request (not confirmed) for a table for two.

When the table assignments are made (a couple of days before the cruise begins), they will try to fill as many requests as possible.

Since there are a limited number of tables for two, some people who requested them may be disappointed.

Since you cannot request a table for one, you will likely have someone else assigned to your table if you do get assigned a table for two.

No.

You are confirmed for the 17:30 Traditional seating with a request (not confirmed) for a table for two.

When the table assignments are made (a couple of days before the cruise begins), they will try to fill as many requests as possible.

Since there are a limited number of tables for two, some people who requested them may be disappointed.

Since you cannot request a table for one, you will likely have someone else assigned to your table if you do get assigned a table for two.

Oh. That's what I was afraid of. Perhaps I should switch back to Anytime then.

That's the risk.