Which Ship Has The Best Crew

the three Cs

Since the crew sometimes changes out frequently and are assigned to different ships, it is very hard to suggest which ship would have the best crew now or a few months from now.

We had a great crew on the Sun Princess 18 months ago, but after talking with some of them we found out that many would be on other ships within the next few months.

I do feel that the smaller Sun Class vessels seem to have the best crew though.

I agree with Toto and Hornet, they change so often it's hard to say. We had a great table captain on the Regal in 2001 who was also on the Golden last May. The cruise director we had on the Golden was terrible, but it was his last week onboard and the guy who started with the next sailing was supposed to be outstanding (at least, that's what folks on later sailings than ours said). So, it's tough to say who's the best.

Crews do rotate in and out constantly – and their contracts don’t end all at once, so some that were on the ship last week won’t be on the ship next week.

I have found in general the staffs on the smaller ships provide a better quality experience. They can get to know you a bit and understand your preferences easier than those on a larger ship where they are dealing with a greater number of passengers. Seeing 3100 passengers every week puts more wear and tear on a staff member than does seeing 1650.

I think the quality of service of the crew depends heavily on the captain and the passenger services director. Officers in these positions that won't allow poor service will result in a higher level of service (and respect) by the crew.

I['ve read many, many reviews of various Princess ships onthis site although I've cruised only on the Grand. The one consistent report I've seen that has appeared repeatedly supports the comment made upthread

I have found in general the staffs on the smaller ships provide a better quality experience. They can get to know you a bit and understand your preferences easier than those on a larger ship where they are dealing with a greater number of passengers. Seeing 3100 passengers every week puts more wear and tear on a staff member than does seeing 1650.

Reviews I've been readoing of the CB (which I sail on as of Oct 29) , even some of the most positive and glowing reports, have often commented that some of the crew seem a bit overstressed, overworked or harried when the CB is full due to an extra 500 passengers with no increase in crew size. I'm sure everyone's experience is not the same and it's not a universal condition but I'll plan on making my next cruise on one of the Sun class ships and comparing the experiences.

Best overall crew I've experienced was on the Sea Princess several years ago, before her brief stay with P&O.

I've had times when the Captain was great but the CD wasn't, the steward was great but the waiter/waitress wasn't -- it goes on and on and on.

As the others have said, the turnover is so great and everyone's experience so individual, depending on who was their cabin steward, who was their waiter/waitress, etc. that it's like saying, which is the best cloud formation you've seen? The variables are infinite.

Anyone have any experience on the Golden recently? The crew can make or break a cruise for us. I should add that we have never been disappointed with any crew. Just some are better then others.

Sailed the Golden in August, didn't see any acceptional crew while we were sailing, sorry. You never know, there could be new ones by the time you sail.

Sailed the Golden in August, didn't see any acceptional crew while we were sailing, sorry. You never know, there could be new ones by the time you sail.

Thanks toto. Not really looking for exceptional crew, not that I would mind, just attentive and friendly. Actually I prefer the crew not to have a "in your face" mentality. Celebrity, being my favorite line, has the best crew that I have experienced to date.

• 1 month later...

When you think about, you probably interact with only a tiny fraction of the total crew. Obviously, the most important people are going to be your cabin steward, and dining room waiters if you choose to be seated at the same table for the length of your cruise. The atmosphere on board, and even maybe things that might have happened on a previous cruise can affect how the crew responds. There are just too many variables. That's one of the many reasons why two different people can be on the same cruise and come home with completely different impressions of how satisfied they were.

We just got off the Tahitian Princess. This was our second cruise. The crew was completely different from last year's cruise and we still felt that great level of service and friendliness. It is true that the crew does get to know your likes and dislikes faster on a smaller ship. I wish Princess had a few more of this size ship.

Archived