Allow for more time to checkin with wine?

Retired08

Just recently read about checking in with a bottle of wine, that you may have to stand in a different line and wait longer. Going out on the Regal this fall

and were planning to pick up a bottle to be placed in our checked bag, and then drink in our room. But if the check in wait is longer for persons with wine, we will pass on that. Any comments?

Just recently read about checking in with a bottle of wine, that you may have to stand in a different line and wait longer. Going out on the Regal this fall

and were planning to pick up a bottle to be placed in our checked bag, and then drink in our room. But if the check in wait is longer for persons with wine, we will pass on that. Any comments?

It's doesn't take any longer

It's pretty quick, especially if you only have one bottle each. The table should be right after security and they just make a note of your name and cabin number and send you on your way, definitely under a minute.

The wait on the wine control table may probably be the same as another person or two who came ahead of you in the line for security check.

We have checked in with 2 bottles of wine each (in our carry-on) and paid corkage on one bottle each. The delay was minimal - we were on our way in a couple of minutes. Have done this on the Ruby, the Royal and the Island. In no case, did it take longer than a couple of minutes.

We just returned from the Emerald and we didn't have any delay. We each had one bottle of wine in our carry on and we just want right through security. I also had a bottle of water in my carry on and they never looked at it to see if it really was water.

I always bring wine. When boarding the Regal this past January, there were 4 couples in front of us at the wine table. The two officers at the table noticed the back-up, and cleared us all within seconds. In December I plan on bringing 6 bottles for a 10 day sailing. I'd rather pay $15 corkage on a good bottle of wine instead of paying $40 for a bottle I can buy for $8 on land.

We sort of confused the wine table last week while boarding the Grand. We were 5 adults in 2 rooms, 1 balcony 1 minisuite. They seemed to have trouble understanding that 3 adults were in the minisuite and kept asking for the 3rd room number. Finally they understood and wrote down the 3rd bottle for the minisuite. Even with that it only took about 1 minute and a half and there wasn't anyone else at the wine table.

If you have additional bottles (Feb 29 MR cruise we took 9 bottles) there can be a delay while they check each bottle to make sure it is sealed, not a spirit and collect their corkage fee and apply stickers to the bottles. The last couple of times they have handed me the stickers so we could decide which ones went to the dining room vs consumed in the cabin. When you get several passengers at the table like me (with extra bottles) the line can back up a bit.

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine each per person. Simply walk right past the line as no one is watching. People who get in the line are newbies and do not know any better. Never got in line to check the wine.

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine each per person. Simply walk right past the line as no one is watching. People who get in the line are newbies and do not know any better. Never got in line to check the wine.

This is so true.

I always bring wine.... I'd rather pay $15 corkage on a good bottle of wine instead of paying $40 for a bottle I can buy for $8 on land.

I totally agree. I like living in Northern CA, where we have access to the better wines from the Napa and Sonoma Valley wineries, instead of the lower classed wines offered on the ships.

Edited by Treven

That has been true on our first 4 cruises, but this time the guy at the scanner waved to the wine table and pointed at us.

Thanks - didn't know.

You seriously risk them removing the bottles from your suitcase...and you don't want anyone's hands in your luggage besides yours. Anyway, yes it could be an additional 2 minutes to wait on the wine line.

That doesn't work in San Pedro.

The thing I've never had trouble with is bringing on bottles from a port. Like in Ensenada I bought a bottle of rum and a bottle of wine. Not to drink on board but why give it to them to handle and possible break when I can just pack it myself. I bought 4 bottles of rum in Belize last year and nobody said anything so I just walked onboard. Once again, I'm not cheating anyone or Princess as I'm not drinking them onboard, besides I had the booze package so I didn't need any extra alcohol.