Reciprocity fee with Argentina

lj77346

For U.S. citizens, the reciprocity fee with Argentina was eliminated. This will decrease the out of pocket expense for South American cruises from Buenos Aires. According to the Embassy of Argentina website:

Reciprocity fee for US citizens

In order to strengthen the relationship between Argentina and the United States of America, the Argentine Government has resolved to suspend the collection of the reciprocity fee from US passport holders who visit our country for less than 90 days, for tourist or business purposes.

Buenos Aires, March 24 2016

Would be nice if the US returned the favor......US visa fees are quite high themselves, along with in person interviews, fingerprinting, etc... Ahh well...one can hope.

The agreement was a reciprocal agreement. That would suggest to me those from Argentina would pay no fee for a USA visa.

The agreement was a reciprocal agreement. That would suggest to me those from Argentina would pay no fee for a USA visa.

I don't think the USA has waived their visa fee. It was called a reciprocal tax because the amount was identical to what the USA was charging. USA charges because they do fingerprinting. Basically, it was just a 'pay back' tax.

Columbia does the same to Canadians unless they arrive by cruise ship.

A new president in Argentina and a visit from the US president seems to be working in small ways.

I read the agreement posted this morning and both countries eliminated the additional fee. The visa fee for either country for US/Argentina citizens is $160USD.

Those that previously paid the Argentinian fee still have a valid 10 year TASA.

The US has not waived their fee, or their process for attaining a visa for Argentina... Still expensive, still have to apply in person for interview and biometrics, etc.. So, whiles it's lovely for US visitors to Argentina, there's no return "reciprocity" waiver in reverse.

Would be nice if the US returned the favor......US visa fees are quite high themselves, along with in person interviews, fingerprinting, etc... Ahh well...one can hope.

Are you kidding me? We were fingerprinted 3 different times in Argentina while on our Antarctic cruise a month ago.