Pacific Eden - Easter cruise review

I have just returned from a 3 night Easter cruise on the Pacific Eden. Before the cruise I was keen to read all the reviews of the ship and was dismayed that so many were very negative. A few days before we left a good review with many photos was posted, and I was filled with hope that the earlier reported problems had been rectified.

Our cruise was a Food and Wine theme.

Here is a quick summary of my experience.

The cabin and the ship:

I was quite impressed with the cabin. Sure it isn't new and flashy like Celebrity, but the cabin and balcony were large, everything was clean, and the bed was comfy. Our cabin stewards were wonderful friendly people who efficiently cleaned our cabin when we disappeared for breakfast and again at dinner.

The ship is currently looking quite good as a result of the recent refurbishment. New fittings and fixtures make a good impression in the bars and restaurants. Now is the time to enjoy the best of the refurbishment before wear and tear takes its toll. Overall the appearance of the ship was generally modern and welcoming, of course the ship itself is old so there was lots of evidence of that, if you were looking for it. However I think it is a good product right now, so it depends if you are a glass half full person or not, I prefer to see the best in a situation so I focused on the new elements of the refurbishment and was left quite impressed with the look of the ship.

The restaurants:

We booked the Dragon Lady and Angelos as soon as we boarded (very important because after the first few hours on Day 1 they were fully booked). Many people expressed disappointment at not being able to experience them. In the end, they didn't miss anything really. Dragon Lady was ok, the food was reasonable, but nothing special. The staff were extremely inexperienced, we had to request the wine list (no one asked if we wanted a drink), and it was served almost as if we were in a shopping centre cafeteria. No interaction with guests and the staff were well meaning but seemed uncomfortable all the time. We are an outgoing gregarious group, used to eating out at restaurants, and know the expected behaviours etc (we a not a "mob of drunks!"), however the staff just wanted us to select food, eat it, and get out. They seemed to see their job as a process that they had been tutored in, and didn't understand the service aspect.

Angelos was really terrible. The food was very ordinary and service didn't exist, with extremely unfriendly staff. Again, no offer of drinks and when we ordered a couple of bottles of wine they came almost at the end of the meal with no offer of replenishment. The staff were so unhappy it was palpable. So sad, I have no idea what was going on but the experience was really awful for us.

The Waterfront is the main restaurant and despite a short wait on most occasions, we found this is where more staff seemed to know what they had to do, but again there was a significant appearance of lack of training or confidence. Unlike other ships where supervisors seem to roam to support staff or provide directions, that wasn't evident. The food was quite good at the Waterfront, a reasonable choice and if they can fix the service issues, it will be a good restaurant I would think.

The Pantry is a good concept. I prefer food being served rather than watching people dive into a buffet and waste half of what they gather on their overfull plates. It still has the feel of a shopping centre food court though. I think it is a good choice for families or those that prefer very informal eating styles. There is definitely a place for the Pantry and I am sure there are people who will always choose that venue for their meals. That is one of the great things about cruising - there is usually choice and there is hopefully something for everyone.

Be aware that on P&O you have to pay for food at the Grill, other venues such as icecream bars, and room service (including breakfast in the cabin).

Entertainment:

Most of the Food and Wine theme offerings came with a cost and places were very limited. If you were not lucky enough to get into one of those, there were a few trivia sessions, one bingo session, and a couple of free food demonstrations. There was a show every night (offered at 2 separate times) that offered variety and the 3 tenors on the last night were simply outstanding. I think they could do more with offering free activities but on a 3 night cruise and travelling with friends, we were able to satisfy ourselves with long coffee chat sessions during the day and general relaxation. The White Party and Gatsby Party were enjoyed by many passengers and many got into the fun by dressing according to the theme.

Overall impressions:

I think that the Pacific Eden has the potential to be a good ship and there is definitely a place in the market for its casual relaxed style. In particular families are likely to enjoy the lack of formality and perhaps those who are more comfortable with café style eating rather than restaurants accompanied by high levels of service/wine knowledge etc. The ship itself is old but the refurbishment is really quite nice and appropriate to a 3 star ship.

However P&O urgently needs to work on building a more positive culture in its restaurant/bar staff. It appears that they are not being supported to do their jobs. At best it looks like they a poorly trained and lacking in confidence. At worst it seems that staff are downtrodden, completely lacking interest in their jobs and don't want to be there. It was a huge problem on my cruise and influenced our experience quite markedly. We were a friendly non demanding group and tried to help the staff deliver their best service, but it didn't help. When you start an interaction with a staff member with a smile and a "how are you today", and it isn't returned with a smile and an appropriate response, you have to be concerned.

Please P&O do something urgently to support your staff on the Pacific Eden to deliver their jobs with confidence and satisfaction. If you can get that right, I am sure you will have a product that many people are prepared to return to.

Edited by cruising kirby

great review, just off the Aria with almost the same issues. One night our dinner service took almost 2 hours, in the waterfront. I complained to the maître d as a test to see what he would do.......said sorry and that was it. As I expected no follow up. So in reality nothing is going to change

Thanks for the review.

We were on the same cruise as yourself, to give P&O a "test drive".

I agree with you re: Angelo's. Poor quality, flavorless food with poor service. In fact, we found the waterfront to be not much better (I know your review was more positive). We also found the pantry to have very limited choice, and no taste. I also found the smell of the pantry unbearable (starboard side) - no idea what that was.?? We also found portion sizes to be a bit of a joke in all restaurants (especially afternoon tea in our room when they served 1qtr triangle of a sandwich to share between to people - on both days).

The positive was the salt grille, was definitely a stand out. Excellent food and brilliant service. The training of all staff in that restaurant is exceptional (with out exception). Defiantly one of the better specialty restaurants at sea - albeit one of the more expensive...

They say you get what you pay for, but to be honest, we had a full suite that actually cost us more a night than our suites on other cruise lines (and we've been on most of them), and that's before they nickle and dime you on all the extras that are normally complimentary. They also say don't knock it until you've tried it, so I think I now have free licence.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid....

Thanks for the honest review.

We are on this ship on Friday for a 3 nighter to 'test the waters' so to speak with P&O as we usually go RCI. Whilst I know it will be a different experience to what we are used to, service is something that should be universal.

Are you able to pre-book at the waterfront for dinner?

I am guessing you embarked in Adelaide? Is there long term parking for the weekend at Outer Harbour, or should I arrange a ride to and from the terminal?

Thanks for the honest review.

We are on this ship on Friday for a 3 nighter to 'test the waters' so to speak with P&O as we usually go RCI. Whilst I know it will be a different experience to what we are used to, service is something that should be universal.

Are you able to pre-book at the waterfront for dinner?

I am guessing you embarked in Adelaide? Is there long term parking for the weekend at Outer Harbour, or should I arrange a ride to and from the terminal?

You can't pre-book the Waterfront restaurant, it is anytime dining. If you turn up at peak times, you might have a short wait. They will give you a buzzer and you return when your table is ready. I am not aware of long term parking at Outer Harbour. There is street parking but it isn't secure. We organized a mini bus to take us and pick up.

We also found portion sizes to be a bit of a joke in all restaurants (especially afternoon tea in our room when they served 1qtr triangle of a sandwich to share between to people - on both days).

I was same ship a few weeks earlier in a suite (solo ) and I got more afternoon tea than you did, you seem to have been short changed. [emoji50]ImageUploadedByForums1459317962.762642.jpg.2cf52c54833e2be8bef9a52e8498c36b.jpg

Not sure if that pic worked but that was my afternoon tea.

I preferred Dragon Lady and ate there a couple of times, had no trouble with service or food but agree Angelos service could be better. It wasn't shocking service and I didn't have to cook or clean so no complaints :)

As I ate solo the service in the restaurants seemed overall fine but then there was only me to serve, and I had no trouble getting a table for one.