Explorer of the Seas paid dining options?

jplee3

Hey guys,

Was wondering, for those of you who have tried, how the paid dining options are on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas (e.g. Izumi, Chef's Table, Giovanni's, Chops). We'll be on the Alaska cruise in mid-July and I'm considering reserving whatever looks or sounds good :)

Any opinions? This is my first RCL cruise - I've only been on two prior Disney cruises thus far. The last Disney cruise we were on we ate at Remy and Palo. Remy was a pretty incredible experience. I'm perfectly fine with *not* going for any of the paid dining options either - I just wouldn't want to potentially miss out on anything that is deemed worthy (aka "you simply cannot and must not pass it up") though.

Also, if we do want to do any of the paid dining options, should we go ahead and reserve/purchase in advance now? Or is it OK to just wait until we're on the ship to do it all?

One other sort of random question but are there certain days that are more preferable than others for any of the dining? Or anything more "special" about dining on one day versus another? I'm considering doing the Chef's Table experience...

Any tips, advice, or recommendations? TIA!

Between Chops and Giovanni's, we liked Giovanni's the best. Chops is no longer close to a good value for us.

I seem to gather the same impression just from reading around; also that Chops' cook or quality on the meat perhaps isn't as good as it used to be.

Anyone have a recent experience with the Chef's Table? That looks like a fun experience but wanted to get others' takes. At Remy, they laughed at us because we kept ordering items off the menu outside of the Prix Fixe options that we tried. I don't imagine we would able to do anything like that at Chef's Table, considering we would be sharing a single table with a limited number of other guests.

We liked both Giovanni's & chops on explorer. Service was excellent in both & Giovanni's would be better value.

I would wait till onboard to book as they tend to have random specials you might be able to take advantage of.

We liked both Giovanni's & chops on explorer. Service was excellent in both & Giovanni's would be better value.

I would wait till onboard to book as they tend to have random specials you might be able to take advantage of.

This is a good point, as we were offered a 20% discount to book on the first night last month on Vision.

I would also note that Alaska cruises can be quite tiring. If you are "doing it right", you are out there "adventuring" a large part of each day. To me, that would mean hanging back from "big" dining experiences. I would just be happy to plop down in a regular dining room and have a regular dinner.

But maybe that's just me.

:)

Hey JPLee3. We were on Explorer South Pacific recently and went to Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.

We found Izumi to be overrated for what you pay, Giovanni's was very good apart from the desserts that were uninspiring. Chops on the other hand was absolutely amazing. We loved the crab cakes and the scallops for starters (ordered 2nds of both) and the steaks were great. Chocolate cake for dessert was also great.

We enjoyed it so much we went back 4 times on our 13 night cruise. Each time we received a 20% discount as the Chops and Giovanni staff were regularly walking around the Windjammer offering 20% discounts at Chops and Giovanni's.

Wow thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely wait till I'm onboard and will be on the lookout for the 20% off discounts :)

Does anyone have any experience with the Chef's Table? I'm extra-curious about that.

I just booked this cruise for next year and I will echo Merion Mom on this. The future booking agent told me that not to sweat over which dining we were in because frankly we would prob wind up grabbing food in the wind jammer after making it back to the ship and missing our dining!

As far as the specialty dining. I have cruised both RCCL and Disney multiple times. You will find plenty of Palo type options but I am not sure you will find a Remy similar experience option unless you choice Chef's table. I think that would be comparable.

I can't wait to read your review of Alaska cruise!

Also, in regards to Izumi remember that you're going to be in Alaska so if you want seafood you should take advantage of what's in port. That's what I plan to do when I'm on the Explorer in June.

Also, if you have a balcony consider perhaps taking some of your meals there. I plan on having at least a few dinners on my balcony through the Fjord (weather permitting).

I would also note that Alaska cruises can be quite tiring. If you are "doing it right", you are out there "adventuring" a large part of each day. To me, that would mean hanging back from "big" dining experiences. I would just be happy to plop down in a regular dining room and have a regular dinner.

But maybe that's just me.

:)

3 or the 4 days we'll be docked at ports of call, so on those I likely won't care much for 'finer' dining. But for the days at sea, where we're not going to be able to "adventure" much I probably wouldn't mind as much to try something different :)

I just booked this cruise for next year and I will echo Merion Mom on this. The future booking agent told me that not to sweat over which dining we were in because frankly we would prob wind up grabbing food in the wind jammer after making it back to the ship and missing our dining!

As far as the specialty dining. I have cruised both RCCL and Disney multiple times. You will find plenty of Palo type options but I am not sure you will find a Remy similar experience option unless you choice Chef's table. I think that would be comparable.

I can't wait to read your review of Alaska cruise!

I was thinking for the day in Juneau especially that missing the dining would be easy to do if I'm out on a longer excursion. Possibly the same with Skagway. I guess it depends on what we end up doing (I still don't know fully). I was thinking Chef's Table might be similar to Remy, but it doesn't sound like you can just order a la carte as much as you want at the Chef's Table (and even if you did, you'd probably look pretty ridiculous unless everyone else wanted in hahaha)

I would have to agree, Izunmi didn't really live up to its reputation for us. Having the 'hot rocks' grill was an experience, but can't say I enjoyed it as much as Giovanni's and Chops.

I would go to them on a sea day as being out all day can make you a little pooped.

In November 2015 there wasn't a Chef's Table on offering (or maybe we didn't know but I never saw it on the daily newsletter or in our suite) perhaps its their now.

I was thinking for the day in Juneau especially that missing the dining would be easy to do if I'm out on a longer excursion. Possibly the same with Skagway. I guess it depends on what we end up doing (I still don't know fully). I was thinking Chef's Table might be similar to Remy, but it doesn't sound like you can just order a la carte as much as you want at the Chef's Table (and even if you did, you'd probably look pretty ridiculous unless everyone else wanted in hahaha)

Yes you are correct the Chef's table is a set menu but I know they will customize it for you if you have allergies or dislikes etc. I haven't done it but I have heard it is something quite fantastic. Diff than Remy but the food is probably on par. I can't wait to hear your review. Are you going with kids? If so, what are the ages?

Chefs table is a unique dining experience. Each course is especially prepared just fir your table and each course is paired with a different wine.

The head chef explains how each course is made and the Sommelier explains each wine.

You start with Champagne and you should allow 2 hours for tne meal.

Great way to meet people as well. From memory there are only 16 guests max.

The menu is set, not al la cart.

Yes you are correct the Chef's table is a set menu but I know they will customize it for you if you have allergies or dislikes etc. I haven't done it but I have heard it is something quite fantastic. Diff than Remy but the food is probably on par. I can't wait to hear your review. Are you going with kids? If so, what are the ages?

Remy was quite the experience, and I felt it was worth every penny (and even more) of what we paid. I wouldn't think twice about dining there again on our next Disney cruise. I'm excited for this cruise, especially as it will be me and my wife's first time to Alaska. We have a son who will be around 11mos by that time, so it'll be his first time too :). We're going with my parents and 2 brothers, so an extended family vacation, so to speak. I have four nephews that will be on the trip (all boys, bless my mother...lol). Most of us, including all my nephews have only ever known Disney cruises, so we'll see how much they like this one hahaha.

Chefs table is a unique dining experience. Each course is especially prepared just fir your table and each course is paired with a different wine.

The head chef explains how each course is made and the Sommelier explains each wine.

You start with Champagne and you should allow 2 hours for tne meal.

Great way to meet people as well. From memory there are only 16 guests max.

The menu is set, not al la cart.

I suppose the wine being included ups the ante when compared to Remy, where wine pairing is an extra $100 or so to my recollection. I'm tempted to do this but I'm not sure how much we're into the community dining-with-strangers idea. It might be worth just trying for the overall experience.

I would have to agree, Izunmi didn't really live up to its reputation for us. Having the 'hot rocks' grill was an experience, but can't say I enjoyed it as much as Giovanni's and Chops.

I would go to them on a sea day as being out all day can make you a little pooped.

In November 2015 there wasn't a Chef's Table on offering (or maybe we didn't know but I never saw it on the daily newsletter or in our suite) perhaps its their now.

Yes, this does sound new to the RCCL Explorer. I'll pass up on Izumi - I'm sure I can get much better Japanese here in SoCal :)

As far as Giovanni's and Chops, I'm more inclined to Giovanni's, except MikeC1610's post mentioning Chops has me re-thinking things.

I don't know, at the end of the day I may just forgo any special dining options after all.