Opinions Needed for First Time Cruiser

fayew

Other than taking the kids to Orlando a few times for theme park vacations, we've only done All Inclusive beach vacations. Now I am seriously considering a cruise but I need help narrowing down a cruise line.

I DO know that I want a Southern Caribbean itinerary with stops in Aruba and Curacao. I would also prefer to have more of an "all inclusive" experience, so I would like a drink package option. I was thinking about Norwegian because it looks like they have amazing entertainment options, but I don't want to be "nickel and dimed" to death with a bunch of extra charges for a la carte meals, room service, and shows. I'd rather that pay the higher upfront price and have everything included (within reason!).

Basically I am looking for something with good food, a reasonably priced drink package (I've seen some that are including the drink package as a perk right now), free room service (Norwegian charges $8 service charge), and good on board entertainment at no extra charge. Any recommendations on a cruise line that would fit the bill?

Royal Caribbean is our line of choice, with certain itineraries porting at the ABC islands. Room service is complimentary except between midnight and 5 am. They sell beverage packages. Entertainment is subjective - you take it or leave it, basically. I mean, I don't think I would choose a line or ship solely for the entertainment, as it is so subjective.

Most lines add a daily service charge/automatic gratuity to each passenger's on board account (regardless of age of passenger). This makes up the crew's salary and is usually left in place so that the people who serve you and provide you with an excellent holiday can be paid for their service.

Being "nickle and dimed" is also subjective; lines charge extra for specialty dining. We have cruised and not spent any extra money - it can be done. However, all-inclusive lines are the luxury lines at a much higher cost.

Other than taking the kids to Orlando a few times for theme park vacations, we've only done All Inclusive beach vacations. Now I am seriously considering a cruise but I need help narrowing down a cruise line.

I DO know that I want a Southern Caribbean itinerary with stops in Aruba and Curacao. I would also prefer to have more of an "all inclusive" experience, so I would like a drink package option. I was thinking about Norwegian because it looks like they have amazing entertainment options, but I don't want to be "nickel and dimed" to death with a bunch of extra charges for a la carte meals, room service, and shows. I'd rather that pay the higher upfront price and have everything included (within reason!).

Basically I am looking for something with good food, a reasonably priced drink package (I've seen some that are including the drink package as a perk right now), free room service (Norwegian charges $8 service charge), and good on board entertainment at no extra charge. Any recommendations on a cruise line that would fit the bill?

I'd look at Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

I like NCL because of Freestyle dining and casual dress code, but they don't seem to have regular Southern Caribbean itineraries lately. If you find one they might be a good choice for you but they do have the $8 room service charge and mandatory daily service charge (as pretty much all mainstream lines do). However the whole "nickel and dime" issue is continually I overblown in my opinion. Read your cruise contract and know what it includes. If you want to pay extra for something It doesn't include, great. If you don't, then don't, simple as that.

Edited by Mistizoom

I'd look at Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

[Hitting Like Button...].

Our first cruise was on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. A great start! And San Juan is a wonderful place to visit for a couple days pre/post cruise.

Thanks everyone. I know that the mandatory gratuities are an additional charge, but I believe with most lines you can prepay those as well. I was reading some reviews for the Norwegian Epic and some people were complaining about a bunch of extra charges on their credit cards, being charged again for gratuities when they had been prepaid already, etc. Kind of scared me off.

Never thought of departing from San Juan, but since I am going to have to travel to a port somewhere, I guess that is as good a place as any to start. Sometimes I see decent flights to PR out of Syracuse so I can fly there just as easily as I could fly to Florida.

Thanks everyone. I know that the mandatory gratuities are an additional charge, but I believe with most lines you can prepay those as well. I was reading some reviews for the Norwegian Epic and some people were complaining about a bunch of extra charges on their credit cards, being charged again for gratuities when they had been prepaid already, etc. Kind of scared me off.

Never thought of departing from San Juan, but since I am going to have to travel to a port somewhere, I guess that is as good a place as any to start. Sometimes I see decent flights to PR out of Syracuse so I can fly there just as easily as I could fly to Florida.

No, Norwegian will not charge you extra if you have prepaid gratuities. Now is a good time to book because with a balcony or higher you can get two "free at sea" offers, which can include free Ultimate Beverage Package (you pre-pay 18% gratuities on that), free Specialty Dining Package package for 3-4 nights depending on length of cruise (you pre-pay 18% gratuities on that as well) - both for first and second guests only, or free wi-fi (250 minutes) or money towards NCL shore excursions (not worth it to most people). With NCL (and I assume most cruise lines but I don't know for sure) you can pre-pay almost everything if that is your preference. You can also pre-purchase onboard credit (OBC) if you do what to have some spending you may want to do on board but don't want to have a big bill at the end. It gives you flexibility to make the cruise what you want and not lock you in to a rate that covers something you don't want to pay for. I do see NCL has some interesting Southern itineraries in fall/winter. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask over on the NCL forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107.

Thank you, Mistizoom. I checked the Norwegian website and I do see the "free at sea" options. Not so free, though, as choosing my two options added $200 in gratuities to my bill (on top of the extra $450 per person for the balcony to get two perks!). I'm thinking sticking to the inside stateroom with only the beverage package as my perk would be the best choice. I am guessing I can buy A LOT of internet for $900!

Edited by fayew