Nieuw Amsterdam Questions

JLBellaCC

Hi all!

Very excited to board the NA this Sunday for the second time! Last time we were on board there was a near constant vibration in several areas of the ship. I haven't seen any talk of this on the message boards, so I am wondering if it has been fixed?

Also, does anyone know who is playing in the piano bar? We love piano bars and spent time there on our last cruise, but rather hoping somebody new is playing there now. Any info on this?

We had a cabana last time and loved it, but decided this time to try the specialty restaurants instead- so we are looking forward to that! Also, had lots of fun doing some mixology fun learning how to make new drinks- hope they are still holding those!

Just a couple days!

Thank you!

Just disembarked from the Nieuw Amsterdam from a two week Collector's Cruise. I am very sensitive to vibration and I didn't experience any vibration including aft and upper decks. :)

Mike was playing in the Piano Bar. There was a Sip and Savor most of the days, at varying time of the day from 2pm to 9:30pm. Also several Mixology classes and cocktail samplings. Prices varied; around $3 for Sip and Savor, $12.50 to 20.00 for Mixology, and $3 for cocktail samplings. Enjoy.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise. We sure did. Did all the specialty restaurants and all were great but we especially liked the Tamarind and went back twice. But you have to enjoy Asian menu.

Bon voyage.

LC

We were on the ship about two weeks ago with a lot of wind and waves. ( could not dock in Cozemel!) What amazed me was the stability of the ship!! We were in cabin 5068 -- absolutely no vibrations there or anywhere that I noticed! We have sailed on ships of similar size and some larger ones, but not one was any more stable!! They kept the pools open too which was a huge bonus to me and a tribute to the ship's stability!!

Yeah!! So happy to hear this! Sorry to hear about your missing port in Cozumel- that happened to us on our last cruise, we missed St. Maarten. :( It is a bummer when it happens, but still no place I would rather be than on a cruise ship, even if I miss a port!

Thank you for your info!

Thank you for your response as I was happy that it encouraged you! We had been to Cozemel before and it was great to have more ship time especially when they have very latest movies for the flat screen TV in the room and we could actually operate it without help!!! ( very senior friendly) . We heard that other ships the week before had missed Key West because of the wind and not being able to dock . It was our 8th cruise and that was the first time we missed a port that wasn't tendered to reach! We missed the private island once,

as well, but that happens a lot! The weather this year is crazy where I live in Ontario , Canada , but a lot of people have told me that the weather in Florida and the Caribbean is cooler, wetter, with lots of wind. Someone said that our week was more like January. I can't complain as I swam every day but I am use to those northern lakes!!

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 April and missed our last port of call due to delayed departure of over 14 hours from previous port of Dominican Republic due to gale force 8 wind's pinning us to the dock and us not being able to disembark. Would you normally receive any compensation or is it divine intervention? We were very disappointed to have missed Key West! A long way to come from the UK and at great expense not to see a port.

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 April and missed our last port of call due to delayed departure of over 14 hours from previous port of Dominican Republic due to gale force 8 wind's pinning us to the dock and us not being able to disembark. Would you normally receive any compensation or is it divine intervention? We were very disappointed to have missed Key West! A long way to come from the UK and at great expense not to see a port.

The only thing to be compensated in that case would be the port charges for the port you missed. You got everything else you paid for.

Usually there's a glass of swill offered that night at dinner to dilute the disappointment.

I wondered why the Nieuw Amsterdam wasn't in Key West.

With weather causing the missed port I don't see why the cruise line should be held responsible for compensation; there isn't anything HAL can do about it except risk the passengers and ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just disembarked on Sunday and did experience pretty bad vibration on just one day while anchored at HMC. We were in an aft stateroom 6179 which we really enjoyed as we love the aft balconies. Anyhow, the ship kept their stern thrusters on while anchored and that resulted in serious vibrations, similar to an earthquake. I'm a boater and never get seasick but have to admit this episode made me nauseous. I had to leave the stateroom early and find a spot where the vibrations were minimal. The Lido deck by the sea view pool still had some vibration but not nearly as bad as our room.

As for the piano bar, it was Mike and he was not very good. I've never seen the piano bar so empty and easy to get a seat. Needless to say, we just popped in briefly a few times and our entire party of four thought he was not worth watching and we are piano bar fans. On the positive side, the BB King Lounge was fantastic and we went every night.

Overall, we had a great week on NA despite the disappointment of missing Key West.

Although we did not expect anything, during our 2015 Maasdam Christmas cruise, we were surprised with our compensation. We missed two ports (HMC & IIRC Grand Turks) due to rough seas. Besides port charge credit & bubbly poured at dinner, we were given a small OBC along with a % discount to use on a future cruise. The captain made a brief announcement and notices were sent to the cabins. Not sure why this offer was given (perhaps since two ports were cancelled?) but we definitely appreciated it (& quickly booked our next cruise.)

Just disembarked from the Nieuw Amsterdam from a two week Collector's Cruise. I am very sensitive to vibration and I didn't experience any vibration including aft and upper decks. :)

Mike was playing in the Piano Bar. There was a Sip and Savor most of the days, at varying time of the day from 2pm to 9:30pm. Also several Mixology classes and cocktail samplings. Prices varied; around $3 for Sip and Savor, $12.50 to 20.00 for Mixology, and $3 for cocktail samplings. Enjoy.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise. We sure did. Did all the specialty restaurants and all were great but we especially liked the Tamarind and went back twice. But you have to enjoy Asian menu.

Bon voyage.

LC

Hi LC, due to go on the Nieuw Amsterdam in June to Alaska, have heard all about the Tamarind, so will be giving it a try when I'm on board, how was the food and what do you recommend to try that's on the menu? Can't wait to go, have never been on Holland America.