Skagway train choice? Help!!

CRUISER2B

I am traveling with 5 other family members. We have decided to do the train tour. We have 2 options. If anyone that has traveled either or both, can please give us the pros and cons, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Option 1: ALASKA SHORE EXCURSIONS

---------------------------------------------

Skagway White Pass Railroad Summit Excursion

Our most popular Skagway excursion! Take an unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" to the White Pass summit. Begin your excursion as you board the train in Skagway and travel 20 miles from tidewater, to the Summit of the White Pass - a 2,865-foot elevation! Every passenger enjoys vast canyon views and complimentary bottled water throughout the fully narrated tour.

Relax in vintage passenger coaches as you retrace the original route to the White Pass summit, passing Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point, and Dead Horse Gulch. Enjoy a breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles, and historic sites. See the original Klondike Trail of 1898 worn into the rocks, a permanent tribute to the thousands of souls who passed this way in search of fortune.

Duration: Approximately 3 hours (Roundtrip from downtown Skagway.)

Option 2 FRONTIER TOURS

--------------------------------

White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad and Klondike Highway Combo

Combine stunning views from the historic White Pass train with scenic stops for photos along the Klondike Highway.

The famous White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad takes you on a 28 mile (1 ¾ hours) journey between Skagway, Alaska, and Fraser, British Columbia (or opposite direction), aboard the narrow gauge Scenic Railway of the World built in 1898. This railway is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (along with the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty). Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles, and historic sites as you climb almost 3,000 feet in 20 miles. See the original White Pass Trail of '98 worn into the rocks, a physical testimony to the thousands of souls who passed this way in search of fortune. Fully narrated with stories of Railroad and Klondike Gold Rush history. Vintage passenger cars are heated and have large windows and restrooms. Seating is first come, first served and will be in a passenger car with potential others not from our tour group.

PASSPORTS (or equivalent) ARE REQUIRED.

The highway portion of the tour features many stops for photos and any wildlife sightings. You will either disembark or board the train at Fraser, BC with stops and the remainder of the tour is done by vehicle.

The 3.5 hour Tour includes the highlights of the White Pass as far as Fraser, B.C. with stops including below (stops may vary due to traffic/weather conditions/border wait times/road construction, etc.)

• Summit Lake

• Tormented Valley

• Welcome to Alaska sign

• Moore Creek overlook

• Pitchfork Falls

• Views of the railroad tracks from the highway

• Scenic overlook of Skagway. (Gold Rush Cemetery not included)

• Additional stops time permitting.

option 1 - you go up and down on the train not getting off.

option 2 - you go one way on the train and travel the other way on a bus.

option 2 is my choice due to getting to see the other side of white pass. the train is great, but do you want to go up and back down on the same train?

option 1 - you go up and down on the train not getting off.

option 2 - you go one way on the train and travel the other way on a bus.

option 2 is my choice due to getting to see the other side of white pass. the train is great, but do you want to go up and back down on the same train?

I was leaning to OPTION 2 also but wasn't sure the bus ride. Thanks for the response.

I vote for option 2 to experience both sides of the canyon. Note, I think you need a passport for the bus transfer as it happens outside of Alaska in another country.

A variation of option 2 would be the Yukon experience tours that includes Carcross.

Edited by xlxo

There is also options 3 and 4 which involve going to Carcross YT by train or bus. You will see Emerald Lake, the Carcross Desert and on opt 4 (bus) have lunch at Caribou Crossing and have an optional dog sled ride (wheeled carts).

Going by train to Carcross allows you to visit the historic town of Bennett. Lunch used to be at the old Bennett station - now it is a box lunch served on the train. :mad:

Chilkoot is my vendor of choice for opts 2, 3 or 4. you can book 1 directly with the RR the day of the event.

BTW of the first 2 options I would do #2.

Edited by bonvoyagie

For us Dyea Dave was the only way to go. 20 passenger van, however when we went only 6 people on the van. Driver Rene was also an avid photographer. We had many stops along the route up to Carcross for lunch. She spotted wildlife from the van that most passengers missed until we stopped for photos.

On the return we spent more time at Emerald Lake & different areas to photograph. We arrived back in town to enjoys several hours of sightseeing before getting on the ship for dinner.

If you go by train we felt there were several disadvantages. The train is loaded with passengers. Going up you must be on the left side of the train to enjoy the scenery or take photos. Lots crowding on the platforms between the cars or on the tailgate of the last car.

It's the same scenery on the trip back.

Option 2 is better for you.

Don't know your time frame for the glassblowing ? Therefore find the schedule that works best for you if you want to include both events. With your group size a driver in the van is a huge plus over renting a car.

Happy Travels, John

Edited by onespots

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your information...

We decided to book directly with Chilkoot for option #2. We are traveling train up/van down.

Needed time to explore/shop in Skagway.

Very excited. Meets all the needs of my party of 6. YAY!!!!