Updated Turkey Travel Warning

Just saw this on US Dept. of State FB Page:

March 29, 2016

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

For your safety:

Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.

Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.

Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.

Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.

Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.

Monitor local media.

Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.

https://travel.state.gov/…/alert…/turkey-travel-warning.html

Turkey: US Defense Department Orders Evacuation of Military Families Due to Security Concerns

The Pentagon made the announcement on Tuesday. The State Department also re-issued a travel warning for Turkey due to increased threats from terror groups in the area.

I would imagine that all the Turkey ports will be cancelled. I personally have a Mediterranean cruise this summer and have becoming increasingly nervous about stopping in Kusadesi.[/quote

Me too. I'm kind of hoping that Kusadasi is cancelled. I can pick lots of places I'd rather go.

So I leave in 19 days and we stop in Turkey for Ephesus. Part of a 12 day 11 port cruise. When would the cruise line let us know about the port change if there is one? In advance or when we board? Currently I have a private tour booked and the terms specify I'm not liable for charges if ship doesn't dock but I would want to replace it with something in what ever port we go.

• 2 months later...
Just saw this on US Dept. of State FB Page:

March 29, 2016

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

For your safety:

Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.

Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.

Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.

Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.

Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.

Monitor local media.

Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.

https://travel.state.gov/…/alert…/turkey-travel-warning.html

Well now this makes me very nervous going to Ephesus

I was there 2 weeks ago. Not one single thing to worry about. The concern us more for Izmir. Vusta would not be dicking in Kysadasi if there was a huge concern. If you decide not to go to Ephesus you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice.

We had a wonderful day at Istanbul yesterday. It was beautiful and the people were friendly and happy to see us. Kusadasi was equally nice. Going back this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Murphey

Istanbul has been on the UK government FCO advice list as not to travel to ........If you travel against this advice insurance is invalidated and government assistance not guaranteed.

There is no such warning from the FCO - as others have stated, the FCO is advocating care and vigilance. Consequently, travel insurance is not invalid if travelling to Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We were in both places last month and had a wonderful time.

I was incorrectly informed that this was FCO advice re Turkish travel. Although I gather many companies like Regent, Oceania have pulled out of Turkey altogether, and tourism is under pressure. Shame, as Istanbul is a wonderful city and at the crossroads of so much history.

I was incorrectly informed that this was FCO advice re Turkish travel. Although I gather many companies like Regent, Oceania have pulled out of Turkey altogether, and tourism is under pressure. Shame, as Istanbul is a wonderful city and at the crossroads of so much history.

So are you saying there is no advisory not to travel in Turkey?

So are you saying there is no advisory not to travel in Turkey?

As far as I know (I am traveling in Italy right now) there is no US or UK warning against travel to Turkey in general, just to a few, very specific places. They are advocating travelers to be sensible -- or perhaps cautious is a better word -- and to avoid certain places that may be targeted. But there is no outright ban.