Going on our first cruise in May

Louisa1980

Hi all

Husband and I are going on our first cruise in May and opted to go with Thomson as we liked the idea the tips were included.

We're going on the Thomson majesty on the Mediterranean medley, flying to Mallorca and going to places like Monaco, Pisa, corsica, Marseille and Barcelona can't wait!

Any tips and advice greatly appreciated, can't wait to hear about all your cruises.

Edited by Louisa1980

A few little pointers.................

The full-price drinks package is grossly over-priced at somewhere around £260 pppw.

Thomson often offer cut-price or even free drinks packages in order to boost cruise sales - if that's the case with yourselves that's great, but don't go buying at full price.

Apart from the cost, the package has significant limitations & exclusions.

Pay-as-you-go drinks prices are very reasonable, about the same as provincial pubs and no service charge.

Thomson is the only cruise line I know that charges to use the in-cabin safe - about £14 per week. It's a four-digit PIN safe, same as most cruise ships & hotels.

Decline the safe when you register. You may find it's already open, or you may be able to open it by trying a few simple combinations like 1,2,3,4 or 4,3,2,1 (they don't have much imagination ;)). Only if it's locked & you can't open it with a few attempts will you need to go to reception and ask for the safe.

They're also the only cruise line I know that charges a credit card fee for paying your on-board account. So use your debit card instead of a credit card.

The standard inside or outside cabins are tiny - the smallest I've ever seen. It's well worth spending a few pounds more to upgrade to an inside-plus or an outside-plus, they're considerably bigger.

Thomson are very traditional, there'll be one or two formal nights & folk do make the effort - guys in DJ or dark suit & tie, and the occasional blazer, uniform or kilt.

If formal's not your scene, stick to the buffet on formal nights.

Entertainment is excellent, both the main shows & the entertainment in the bars, far better than on bigger ships.

You don't need ships' tours in the ports - for instance Pisa is a short train ride. Or even take the train to Florence, you can stop off at Pisa on the way back, no extra cost.

Check out the ports of call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=603

A good cruise line to cut your teeth on, and always very friendly ships.

Browse the Thomson forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=497

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi all

Husband and I are going on our first cruise in May and opted to go with Thomson as we liked the idea the tips were included.

We're going on the Thomson majesty on the Mediterranean medley, flying to Mallorca and going to places like Monaco, Pisa, corsica, Marseille and Barcelona can't wait!

Any tips and advice greatly appreciated, can't wait to hear about all your cruises.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your first cruise!

Welcome to CC, Louisa... have a great time with Thomson; John Bull has told you much about the line, so I'll just add that you'll have a good time with friendly crew, and enjoy some excellent entertainment. Remember that on your final day, unlike most cruise lines, you're allowed to stay on board until the coach arrives to take you to the airport. You can leave your hand luggage with a staff member until then, and enjoy a day on board.

Enjoy! :cool:

Hi all

I would suggest posting your port questions under the appropriate port of call forums for more complete coverage. We have been to all of the places you mention and unless you want to there is no need to do a ships tours, they are easily done on your own. I would suggest looking at the Rick Steve's Med book as it will cover these ports and give many suggestions.