Best way to keep in touch back at home?

kimstoess

I would like to FaceTime or talk to my daughter a few times back at home while on escape this month. What would be the cheapest way to go? I can't rely on free wifi on land because I may not be getting off at any of the ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It all depends on what line and what ship.

many if not all of the carnival ships now have dirt cheap unlimited facebook and even cheap unlimited wifi..

If i recall right..about 60 bucks bought me the week with full wifi.

It depends on your ship.

I would like to FaceTime or talk to my daughter a few times back at home while on escape this month. What would be the cheapest way to go? I can't rely on free wifi on land because I may not be getting off at any of the ports.
It seems to me that you answered your own question. Because of the high cost of getting online aboard the Escape, the cheapest way to go would be to get off the ship in Nassau and Tortola and seek out free wifi and either do the same in St Thomas or just step off the boat and use your own data since most cell providers include St Thomas in their plans.

OP has iPhone ... carrier typically AT&T or T-Mobile = a # of options (unless it's MNVO or prepaid plan, where coverage might be lacking in some of Caribbean ports

Enable WiFi calling in port & call - supported on iOS 7 or 8 and higher, in addition to FT audio (on both GSM carriers); use Google Hangouts calling over WiFi (free to call home, otherwise 2 cents a minute) - check with your home carrier (dial 611 & speak to the international or global support desk)

T-Mobile's Simple Choice North America plan include free coverage in Canada & Mexico, and 2G data coverage in most countries at no extra charge - adequate for voice calling over WiFi, at inexpensive rates.

On our backup travel iPhone 5S, we turn off cellular data, disable background updates on all Apps, enable Airplane mode first, turn ON WiFi.

Otherwise, we love our Google Nexus 5X and 6 on Fi Network, 20 cents per minute of voice calling in 120 countries & $10 per GB of 3G data ... but only for 3 approved Android devices now ... can't wait to confirm coverage & use it in Bermuda this May on land. Cruise ship coverage (while onboard) is not available or included at the moment.