Adding nephew onto our Cruise Card Account?

berlingo

Our 18 year old nephew is joining us for his first cruise this summer. He will be in his own cabin across the way from us and is very excited. We are looking forward to him joining our family for the trip and introducing him to the joys of cruising. He is working as an apprentice and will be funding his own expenses on board.

Now this is my query. He does not have a credit card ( and I do not like the idea of him having one at his age.) Therefore I was planning to add him to our account and he paying us for his expenses at the end. This is what we do with our daughters who each have a print out in their name. However my nephew will be in his own cabin and has a different surname.

Does this plan sound feasible to you seasoned travellers? Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of? Could I set this up when we input our details online? Or should we do something else completely?

Many thanks Juliax

Initially you can set up the account with your CC for check in purposes. Once you get to embarkation simply have him put cash on his account, no CC needed.

Edited by ramrax4

Yes, you can put his charges on your credit card. we have done this before when we've had my sister travel with us. Her expenses were ours. It's no problem. We all checked in together as well.

I can't recall if they needed to see the card, but I don't think so. We just had my card assigned to her name and all checked in together.

You can simply register your credit card against his on board account, at the end of the cruise he will get a printed statement of expenses relating to his cabin. This may be done by waiting until the final bill arrives and interim checks can be made by him putting his card in the machine that generates the statements of account, so he can see how he is doing financially. You can do the check every few days or so if you are happy then leave it until the end. Both he and you will be able to see what he owes you from the trip. The card will be needed to be swiped at initial check in although strictly speaking any valid card could be used initially then you can change it at reception to your card, if you are doing separate check ins at the initial embarkation port.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think Ramrax4s solution is more sound. This way his onboard spending is solely tied to the amount of cash he puts up after boarding, not to your account.

Edited by Treven

Now this is my query. He does not have a credit card ( and I do not like the idea of him having one at his age.)

Many thanks Juliax

In the US there are some advantages of him having a credit card, even if you have to be a co-owner. It helps establish a credit history that will help when he needs credit later.

Just a thought.

In the US there are some advantages of him having a credit card, even if you have to be a co-owner. It helps establish a credit history that will help when he needs credit later.

Just a thought.

I agree. He NEEDS a credit card to establish his credit history. However, it's up to him to learn to use it responsibly.