Ant and Dec myths busted.

daiB

No idea why P&O have to charge as I haven't sailed with them, but have sailed Celebrity which is the example I was citing (and Royal Caribbean) who must charge it when not visiting a non EU port.

Perhaps you should ask P&O.

I do not think we are discussing the same thing. We are not talking about general VAT we are talking of and extra tax that is imposed on all cruise ships in Spanish waters of 8% and now as someone has said 10% this has been around for about 4/5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No idea why P&O have to charge as I haven't sailed with them, but have sailed Celebrity which is the example I was citing (and Royal Caribbean) who must charge it when not visiting a non EU port.

Perhaps you should ask P&O.

For information I found this on a CC thread from 2 year ago. It is a letter from Celebrity/RCI. Which confirms what I was saying.

Subject: Re: Pre-Cruise Questions, Oasis of the Seas, 23/Sep/2014, 0528582

Many thanks for your email.

The reason that there is a higher charge for the drinks packages on this

sailing is due to Spanish VAT which is charged at 21%. On certain

sailings, due to EU VAT regulations, we are obliged to collect an

additional VAT charge for some EU member nations, such as Spain and Italy.

This charge is paid to the country of origin and is beyond our control as

it is a legal requirement.

Kind Regards

James

Info UK Email Team

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

I do not think we are discussing the same thing. We are not talking about general VAT we are talking of and extra tax that is imposed on all cruise ships in Spanish waters of 8% and now as someone has said 10% this has been around for about 4/5 years.

There are several rates of Spanish IVA. A reduced rate of 10% is added to beverage purchases, spa services and speciality restaurant surcharges, the full rate is added to any purchases from the on board shops when a ship DOES not visit a non EU port. Also no duty free sales are allowed on these sailings.

That's the process on RCI and Celebrity. Once again I cannot comment on P&O and I'm not searching cc to quote old information.

For information I found this on a CC thread from 2 year ago. It is a letter from Celebrity/RCI. Which confirms what I was saying.

Subject: Re: Pre-Cruise Questions, Oasis of the Seas, 23/Sep/2014, 0528582

Many thanks for your email.

The reason that there is a higher charge for the drinks packages on this

sailing is due to Spanish VAT which is charged at 21%. On certain

sailings, due to EU VAT regulations, we are obliged to collect an

additional VAT charge for some EU member nations, such as Spain and Italy.

This charge is paid to the country of origin and is beyond our control as

it is a legal requirement.

Kind Regards

James

Info UK Email Team

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

What ports did this sailing of Oasis of the Seas visit? Knowing this ship, it would not have sailed to a non EU port whilst in Europe and so tax was applicable to the whole sailing. Had it sailed to a non EU port, the tax would not be applicable. Quoting a letter without the full itinerary it applied to is misleading.

Once again, quoting a letter from another line is irrelevant as your query relates to P&O and once again I suggest you contact P&O.

What ports did this sailing of Oasis of the Seas visit? Knowing this ship, it would not have sailed to a non EU port whilst in Europe and so tax was applicable to the whole sailing. Had it sailed to a non EU port, the tax would not be applicable. Quoting a letter without the full itinerary it applied to is misleading.

Once again, quoting a letter from another line is irrelevant as your query relates to P&O and once again I suggest you contact P&O.

Why do I need to contact P&O? I know what the rules are and they are the same for each line. If you go on a cruise not outside the EU you pay the tax for the country the ship departs from. I you go out of the EU you don't.

The exception being Spain where there is an 8% or 10% tax which is levied on all ships in Spanish waters.

Why do I need to contact P&O? I know what the rules are and they are the same for each line. If you go on a cruise not outside the EU you pay the tax for the country the ship departs from. I you go out of the EU you don't.

The exception being Spain where there is an 8% or 10% tax which is levied on all ships in Spanish waters.

That is correct people are getting confused with V.A.T and whether the ships call at ports out of the EU i.e. Gibraltar. The Spanish tax is an extra tax paid when purchases are made in Spanish waters and doesn't matter where the ships calls at throughout the rest of the cruise.

A few years ago, we did a short cruise to Ireland and back on RCI Independence of the Seas so we only visited a EU port. UK VAT was charged on any purchases from the on board shops.

The nationality of the ship is irrelevant as tax will be charged regardless of nationality.

Spanish IVA (VAT) is charged at 10% when in Spanish waters on bar charges, select dining charges and room service charges. This does not apply in the Canaries.

Spanish IVA of 21% is charged on shop purchases on cruises departing Spain.

Italian IVA of 22% is charged on shop purchases on cruises departing Italy.

This is given in more detail on this link which lists the cruises affected.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/iva_tax

Brian

That was really good of P&O, how nice if they did pick it up for every cruise, but I don't think that's likely to happen :p

I read your previous comment, I too would have been annoyed that everyone didn't play by the rules, but well done on wining the tickets. Looking forward to your cruise review.

It was because Barcelona wasn't on the original route I think.

From someone on Britannia now.

So for all the ant and Dec haters and those who posted threads full of bile and absolute garbage about this Britannia cruise - here are the real facts from the cruise itself and gleaned from various crew members at the Baltic lunch today including the captain . Taking most of the previous comments / moans / whinges / untruths in turn :

The two riviera pools will be closed off for five days - nope , in fact they are not closed at all yet and may only be closed on show day .

The entire riviera pool area would be closed for three days - nope , only one side and not even half is closed . It's very much business as usual .

The arena deck would be closed entire cruise - nope it's fully open but one side of the deck below is closed for storage .

The sports court would be closed entire cruise - yes it is .

There will be loads of intrusions from TV cameras all round ship all cruise - err no there has been nothing at all .

Ant and Dec will be everywhere - they aren't even on until Friday in Barcelona although little ant and Dec have been on since Southampton .

The ship will be crawling with hundreds of competition winners who are horrid common people - err well if it is they aren't obvious . In fact there are 100 of them and as the ship is sailing full with 4000 passengers they aren't exactly obvious .

The ship will be crawling with technicians - there are 300 of them board but they aren't seen in the public rooms and tend to stay in the buffet area .

There will be noise from the construction of the set - err nope and in fact all the cabins below the set have been given to the technical crew for the show so it's they who suffer the noise if there is any .

The whole cruise will be ruined - if anything it's been enhanced as everyone is looking forward to Barcelona - all very exciting and certainly no trouble at all . In fact the storm on Sunday night / Monday caused more trouble by far !!!

So for those who cancelled this cruise - you've missed out big time !!!

Actually the sports court reopened. After Barca all the ITV stuff was on a deck on the left side ...

It was because Barcelona wasn't on the original route I think.

Barcelona was on the cruise but only for one day, as usual.