Copenhagen Hotel

We are sailing on the Regal Princess in May out of Copenhagen. Since this is our first time in Copenhagen can anyone provide us with some information about:

1. Would you stay at the airport overnight and take the Princess transfers to the dock OR would you go downtown and stay in a hotel there?

2. Any idea how much a taxi from the airport to the cruise pier would be?

3. Do you need DKK to pay the taxi or will they accept US cash?

4. Any suggestions on a hotel that is reputable and reasonable?

Thanks

You can do either- stay at the Airport- there is a Hilton directly across the street from the Terminal- nice hotel! Or go down town. The choice is yours. If I were arriving later in the day (as we did) staying at the airport would be higher on my list.

The taxis will accept credit cards. They definitely won't accept dollars. Do your cabs at home accept other currencies?

A quick look down the board will find many other threads discussing hotels, things to do in CPH, and costs. Only you know the definition of "reasonable".

1. I would only stay in an airport hotel if I were arriving very late in the day. Otherwise, stay in a hotel near Tivoli or near Nyhavn. You can use either taxis or public transportation to get from the airport and to Oceankaj.

2. Look at Post #1 by Danish Viking on the "Wonderful Copenhagen 2016" thread. He gives a website for finding taxi fares in Copenhagen. My vague memory is that the fare from the airport to the city is around 300-350 DKK and the fare from the city to Oceankaj is around 250 DKK.

3. Answered by CruiserBruce

4. Answered by CruiserBruce, but I will add that accommodations in Copenhagen are expensive. Either be prepared to lay out some big bucks or be willing to choose a hotel with small rooms. (We chose the small rooms in the WakeUp Hotel Borgegade and loved it.)

We are going on the Regal may 23 cruise. We decided to stay at the Hilton at the airport the night prior to the cruise. I booked a room and then the price went down and they lowered the price for me. Still not cheap by any means, but what can you do.

We will be taking a taxi straight to the ship on the 23rd. We will just pay with a CC.

The last time we were in Copenhagen we stayed at the Somandshjemmet Bethel which is in Nyhavan. The rooms are basic but very clean and a nice breakfast is included. Found the price to be reasonable, especially for Copenhagen. The area can't be beat as there is lots to do and see in Nyhavan. The hotel gets very good reviews on trip advisor. We are staying here again pre cruise in September.

We booked a hotel close to the Tivoli, which unfortunately I can't remember the name of. However that is a great location. If you plan to spend anytime in Copenhagen, if you can find a hotel close to the Central Station or Tivoli (just a few blocks from each other) you will find almost everything is walkable. The public transport system in Copenhagen is great.

To get to our hotel, we took the train which has a stop in the airport to the Central Station and then walked to our hotel. Very easy.

Have your TA check into prices for a pre cruise stay thru Princess. I found a better price thru Princess than I could get on my own, and when you do that Princess also includes the transfers from the airport to the hotel and from hotel to the ship. I usually book on my own and was surprised at the price I got. Its worth at least asking the question.

Which sailing? I'm on May 12

We are on the May 1st. cruise. We fly in April 30th. at 7:00 AM and Princess will handle the transfer to the hotel so no worries. We found the cost for the area near Tivoli higher on our own. They will also transfer us on the 1st. to the ship all part of the hotel package. Where we are staying also has a Princess rep. which we have liked in the past. I know we can't check in before noon but will leave our bags and go to a canal tour then room should be ready a little lunch and rest then to the Tivoli Garden for the evening & fire works :).

Hope we like the Radisson Blu Royal have like other Radisson's in the past but not in Europe.

I don't know what your timing is like so I can't give you an exact idea, but we did the Princess cruise out of Copenhagen a couple of years ago. We arrived 2 days early so we could spend some time seeing Copenhagen...so glad we did! There's a train downstairs in the airport that goes directly to Copenhagen Central station. You will need DKK. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel...at the time the rates were reasonable for a family room. We needed three beds - teenage son, teenage daughter, my husband and me. It was much less expensive than two rooms. So many European hotels consider a double room to be a room with two TWIN beds. We were literally just across the street from Tivoli and a short walk to the Stroget via the Town Hall Square. At the far end of the Stroget is a canal with canal boat tours. So when we arrived at the hotel, we were allowed to leave our luggage in their luggage room until check-in time and we wandered! The Tourist Info Center is just a block from the hotel and it was perfect for riding the HOHO. We had the hotel arrange a van taxi to pick us up and take us to the pier the day we left. Everything in Europe is comparable to the costs of someplace like Boston, Philadelphia, or New York. Enjoy!

I don't know what your timing is like so I can't give you an exact idea, but we did the Princess cruise out of Copenhagen a couple of years ago. We arrived 2 days early so we could spend some time seeing Copenhagen...so glad we did! There's a train downstairs in the airport that goes directly to Copenhagen Central station. You will need DKK. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel...at the time the rates were reasonable for a family room. We needed three beds - teenage son, teenage daughter, my husband and me. It was much less expensive than two rooms. So many European hotels consider a double room to be a room with two TWIN beds. We were literally just across the street from Tivoli and a short walk to the Stroget via the Town Hall Square. At the far end of the Stroget is a canal with canal boat tours. So when we arrived at the hotel, we were allowed to leave our luggage in their luggage room until check-in time and we wandered! The Tourist Info Center is just a block from the hotel and it was perfect for riding the HOHO. We had the hotel arrange a van taxi to pick us up and take us to the pier the day we left. Everything in Europe is comparable to the costs of someplace like Boston, Philadelphia, or New York. Enjoy!

Doing my happy dance. I think I picked the right area for this trip. The two things we missed last time are so close. Depending on the time frame for the transfer that comes with the hotel stay we may take a taxi to the port on Sunday May 1st. Just not sure of the time they start boarding and would rather hang out at the hotel verses the pier waiting area. Two weeks from now will be resting for our evening at Tivoli Gardens.