Agave Syrup

stevea36

I haven't seen this posted anyplace, but, has anyone seen Agave Syrup as an alternative sweetener, either in the oceanview café, Blu, or the MDR. My DW likes using it as it is a hypoglycemic sweetener.

I'm going to drop a note to the dining folks at celebrity HQ to see if they can tell me.

Steve

They do not have it onboard. I recommend that you bring along a bottle with you if it is a must have.

Especially so that you can have the brand and flavour you desire too....

bon voyage

I haven't seen this posted anyplace, but, has anyone seen Agave Syrup as an alternative sweetener, either in the oceanview café, Blu, or the MDR. My DW likes using it as it is a hypoglycemic sweetener.

I'm going to drop a note to the dining folks at celebrity HQ to see if they can tell me.

Steve

From a NJ neighbor who is hypoglycemic and needs to be very careful about any type of sugars, please read this. I am linking to the article from Dr Andrew Weill but also copying his response:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401166/Whats-Wrong-with-Agave-Nectar.html

Q

What's Wrong with Agave Nectar?

I've been using agave as a sweetener for a couple of years. Lately, I've been reading some very negative reports on it, and am considering switching to another sweetener. Do you still recommend agave?

A

Answer (Published 9/4/2012)

Agave (pronounced 'uh-GAH-vay') nectar is a natural sweetener with a pleasant neutral taste. It ranks relatively low on both the glycemic index and glycemic load scales. For a while, I used agave as my main sweetener, although I don't use sweeteners very often. When I do, I use very small amounts.

I've stopped using agave myself and no longer recommend it as a healthy sweetener. The reason agave ranks relatively low on the glycemic index is because it has a high content of fructose. Fructose does not readily raise blood sugar (glucose) levels because the body doesn't metabolize it well. New research suggests that excessive fructose consumption deranges liver function and promotes obesity. The less fructose you consume, the better.

As it turns out, agave has a higher fructose content than any other common sweetener, more even than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Because of its reputation as a "natural" sweetener, it is now widely used in products claiming to be good for health – from teas to nutrition bars and energy drinks.

I don't think there's any doubt that Americans consume much too much fructose, an average of 55 grams per day (compared to about 15 grams 100 years ago, mostly from fruits and vegetables). The biggest problem is cheap HFCS, ubiquitous in processed food.

Fructose is a major culprit in the rising incidence of type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. It may also increase risks of heart disease and cancer.

Thanks, everyone, for your input regarding the availability of Agave Syrup on celebrity cruises.

If anyone has further information regarding its availability, feel free to post, however I did not create this thread to discuss the Pros or Cons of using the syrup.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Steve

We were on Constellation and Eclipse last year and one of the non alcoholic drinks we enjoyed in the open area outside the Oceanview was a thirst quencher containing lemon juice, soda and agave syrup. It was the special of the day most days when we went for a snack lunch time, so they must have it on board. I can't remember what it was called, sorry. Being from the UK I managed to buy some when we returned home from my local supermarket to make the same drink.

Thanks, everyone, for your input regarding the availability of Agave Syrup on celebrity cruises.

If anyone has further information regarding its availability, feel free to post, however I did not create this thread to discuss the Pros or Cons of using the syrup.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Steve

I am sure u were not asking for health info on it, but how kind of that person to share info that you and many of us might not know! So to Thursdays Child, I appreciate your response as we all can learn helpful health info on foods that may be new to the general public!