Getaway Questions

momtomany

I am booked on the Getaway on May 1 and had a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to quickly at least.

1. Pre-teens/teen can they go in the adult pool? I've seen people complain about big kids in the kids area, but I've also seen posts about pre-teens not being allowed in the adult pool, which then leaves them with no where to go. Kids are 10, 11 and 13. My 17 yo I'm assuming will be fine.

2. Video games in the teen club, my ds is barely 13 and we are pretty strict on what kinds of game he can play. I know they have a WII etc but what level of games do they have access to? 13-18 is a big age gap and what kids can do as almost adults and what I allow my 13 yo to do can be much different.

3. Time of the itineraries, we have an excursion booked not through NCL in Mexico, it has a meet time of 8:45 local time, which I assumed would be fine as we have a itinerary time of 8:00 but I've read conflicting answers if the 8:00 is local time or not.

TIA for any and all advice. Leaving in 27 days and getting really excited but trying to figure out what kind of issues I'm going to have to deal with with my special needs 11 yo who will be not impressed if she has nowhere to swim at all. Going to need a chance to let her down slowly.

Amanda

I didn't use the pool, but recall 13yo nephew swimming with kids from the teen club, so there's an option for them.

I would trust NCL to have games suitable for the youngest teens, otherwise they'd have to segregate and monitor. Call to get more clarity. Teen club is a no, grown up area after Day 1.

There's always risk that the ship is late. Contact your excursion provider to find out how this is handled.

We loved the Getaway last summer. My teen loved the teen club and buffet. We enjoyed just about everything else.

When I was on the Getaway this past February, they were very quick to shoo kids out of the adult pool - I saw a couple young teen/pre-teens talking to their dad, and the pool monitor gave them about two minutes and then blew his whistle. There were four hot tubs around the main pool, two designated as adult-only, and they were pretty strict about enforcing that as well.

1. Main pool is adults only. There is a kid pool by the splash pad and slides for those under 18.

2. Don't know, my 13 yo had no interest in Entourage, unfortunately.

3. You will be on local time for all ports including Cozumel.

As far as the pools go, there is a kids splash area which is for the younger kids - maybe this is where people were complaining about older kids being there? The pool next to the splash area is fine for the bigger kids.

We didn't go to the adult pool, but didn't see any kids there when we walked by.

So what you're saying is that there is no pool for kids other than slides or a splash area?! I find it hard to believe that NCL would be so shortsighted on a megaship.

So what you're saying is that there is no pool for kids other than slides or a splash area?! I find it hard to believe that NCL would be so shortsighted on a megaship.

There is a kids pool ("family pool") separate from the main adult pool. It is located next to the slides and splash area.

Edited by Mistizoom

There is a pool next to the splash area for older kids and teens. My kids are all teens and they used it. It is near the exit of the slides. You can't miss it!

I actually used it as well- didn't want to slide, so I swam instead. It wasn't even crowded.

Thanks for all the replies. I couldn't believe the no pool thing either hence why I asked. I saw 2 different people complain that the "family" pool was more like a kiddie pool than somwhere the kids could swim. After more research and asking here doesn't sound like thats the case at all.

Mistizoon can I ask why your son had no interest? I'm really hoping my son will enjoy it, with 7 kids we are desperately hoping for some adult time on this cruise. Last time we went the kids all loved the kids clubs and it was a great mix of family time with adults time

We went on the Getaway last June and our kids (6,10 and 12 at the time) we all loved it so much that we are doing again this June. The pool was fine, the slides, rock climbing, ropes course and the spider climbing thing rocked! My boys loved kids club too. I don't know about teen area yet because this will be my oldest's first time, but here was fun and adult alone time to be had by all!

Thanks for all the replies. I couldn't believe the no pool thing either hence why I asked. I saw 2 different people complain that the "family" pool was more like a kiddie pool than somwhere the kids could swim. After more research and asking here doesn't sound like thats the case at all.

Mistizoon can I ask why your son had no interest? I'm really hoping my son will enjoy it, with 7 kids we are desperately hoping for some adult time on this cruise. Last time we went the kids all loved the kids clubs and it was a great mix of family time with adults time

I had kids in the teen club at 14, 15, and 17, and they loved it! Make sure he goes the first night. Kids will form groups, younger teens with younger teens.

Now, on our last cruise, my youngest were 10, 10, and 12, and spent little time in the clubs, I think because they had each other. I let them go off a bit on their own (ropes course, mini golf, cupcake decorating), but they had to stay together, and were to stay where they were going, or go back to the cabin.

He's just kind of shy around people he doesn't know and doesn't like making small talk. I signed him up, tried to get him to go the first night, etc. but he didn't want to at all. My husband said it is his vacation too, so let him do what he wants, so I did.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on Getaway in February of this year. First and last NCL cruise for us. (and we have cruised over 10x with out kids).

I have 2 girls ages 14 and 16. The pool, where the band plays is adults only! They literally kicked my 16 year old out! She is way too old for the little kid pool, which is just that ....for little kids who are jumping and being crazy!

All she wanted to do was sunbathe while in the pool! I was so angry the entire trip. No where for the older kids to swim, she literally never swam and was so upset the entire cruise. Terrible planning on NCL's part. We are big time cruisers and this was ridiculous. As a family we enjoy sitting at the pool together listening to the music or watching what is on the big screen. Not on this ship you can't. We are planning again for next year, but NCL is out for us!

And who makes the MAIN pool an adults only pool???

Edited by pdsocialworker

We were on Getaway in February of this year. First and last NCL cruise for us. (and we have cruised over 10x with out kids).

I have 2 girls ages 14 and 16. The pool, where the band plays is adults only! They literally kicked my 16 year old out! She is way too old for the little kid pool, which is just that ....for little kids who are jumping and being crazy!

All she wanted to do was sunbathe while in the pool! I was so angry the entire trip. No where for the older kids to swim, she literally never swam and was so upset the entire cruise. Terrible planning on NCL's part. We are big time cruisers and this was ridiculous. As a family we enjoy sitting at the pool together listening to the music or watching what is on the big screen. Not on this ship you can't. We are planning again for next year, but NCL is out for us!

And who makes the MAIN pool an adults only pool???

NCL made the main pool adults only after a child drowned. The pool is 6 foot deep from end to end. It sucks that you selected this ship, knowing the pool situation.

We found on our Getaway cruise that the family pool was being enjoyed and used by people of all ages. Never once did I see a kid jump in, and I'm sure the pool attendant, who stood there supervising the entire time, would have stopped them. It sucks that you had a crappy crowd on your cruise! I'm grateful mine wasn't the same.

Family pool is under the slides and next to but separate from the "kiddie spray park area" adults and kids could be in there and during our sailing two weeks ago it was full of kids from 7 or so up through their adult family members. The kiddie splash area was jammed with toddlers through maybe 5/6 year olds. As already stated..adult pool is adults only and they were enforcing this. Strangely enough though, the 2 "family hot tubs" are on one side (left side of stage) of the adult pool so on one occasion we adults sat in adult pool while our 10-13 year old kids hung out in hot tub.

Our 4 and 10 yr olds use Splash Academy with success, 11,12,13 yr olds in our group didn't return after first night.