Hawaii vs Alaska

Escaping2016

Hi we are thinking about doing either a cruise to Hawaii or Alaska during the summer of 2017 or 2018. There will be about 10 of us and we will range in age from 3 to 70. Has anyone done both of these cruises? If so which did you prefer and which cruise line do you think does it best?

Well...which would you prefer to see? They are 2 totally different "feeling" cruises....both are port intensive, in that you won't want to stay on the ship at any port, unlike a Caribbean cruise, where that happens frequently!

I would get a guidebook on both at your library, and then decide which place you'd rather spend time in! You won't go wrong with either, but it's all about what YOU want!

As far as cruise line, I don't think it matters...you won't be cruising for the ship, but for the ports!

Edited by cb at sea

Well...which would you prefer to see? They are 2 totally different "feeling" cruises....both are port intensive, in that you won't want to stay on the ship at any port, unlike a Caribbean cruise, where that happens frequently!

I would get a guidebook on both at your library, and then decide which place you'd rather spend time in! You won't go wrong with either, but it's all about what YOU want!

As far as cruise line, I don't think it matters...you won't be cruising for the ship, but for the ports!

Cruises to Hawaii are only in the Fall to Spring Season. Alaska is summer only.

NCL has a ship in Hawaii full time that only cruises the islands .

I have done both. For my family, Alaska would be the first choice because it's like another world. Of course, both are full of beautiful places to see and adventures to have, but for us, Alaska was a unique experience and a great multi-generation trip. If everyone wants an option to lay on the beach on port days, clearly Hawaii is the choice - but if it's for beaches, there are closer places to go.

Best,

Mia

I've done both; several times. Alaska a few times with Family.

Personally I think either one is very nice.

Yes they are different because the climates are different but what they do have in common is that each area has lots of things to do on land and each has a lot of natural beauty.

I would take my family on either one.

Maybe see what others in the family prefer.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

My vote is for Alaska. I have been living in Hawaii for 15 years now and I feel that to truly experience it you can't do it from the port, need more time. For example on Maui you would either stop in Lahaina (tender port) which is very touristy shopping town with nice beaches and lots of resort around. To get to bamboo forests, watfalls and other gorgeous places it would take you hours of driving each way. Other option is NCL ship that docs in Kahului which is not charming at all (need to rent a car and explore).

What I loved in Alaska is just watching beautiful scenery, ports were great with lots of various activities but the scenery continued while we were sailing (I've been on RC radiance of the seas which offers great views from many places on the ship including dining rooms).

Can't go wrong with either :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've done both cruises as a family. Princess is great (I've heard HAL also) when it comes to Alaska. Our daughter had just turned 7 and the kids' program was more interesting to her than the ports, but she's not outdoorsy.

Then we did our next three cruises on the Hawaiian itinerary LA to Hawaii RT so obviously we loved it, especially the sea days as there's a cultural program on the ship that even the kids can take part in that's separate from the activities in the kids' program (they can learn the uke or learn to hula with the adults as an example). Both my hubby and I have been on land trips there so we've seen many of the sites. So we figure if our girl goes back, she can go to the islands that interest her. Usually we didn't book excursions but toured on our own or went to a beach, but the three of us enjoyed the waterfalls and movies tour (as a movie buff at 15, this was a definite hit with the girl).

To us, a lot of the cruise is about the ship and the line. Else we could just do a land trip to a particular area.