Crown Princess 06/18 - 06/25 Alaska Trip

GadgetRick

Looking for any suggestions about maximizing what we do/can do on the ship while at sea. Going with another couple and we're in our low to mid-40s so we're pretty active. Any tips on things we must do on the ship or places to check out on the ship?

Also, question about the day we cruise through Glacier Bay. I'm a photographer by trade and wanted to set up one or two timelapse cameras to capture the trip through the bay. Figure one on either side of the ship if possible. Obviously, I need to be aware of them possibly being stolen but wondering if anyone might have an idea of where I could hide a couple of small cameras (they're about 2.5 times the size of a GoPro so not a huge camera at all).

Thanks for any and all tips!

If you're suggesting setting up your camera in a public area and then going off and leaving it, I don't think it's a great idea. Even if you could find a place that had an unobstructed view (without people constantly walking in front of it), several things could happen. It could be stolen, turned in by another passenger or crew member as a 'found' item (if you're lucky!), or damaged by being bumped or knocked overboard, etc. If this type of photography is really important to you, then I'd suggest getting a balcony cabin where you can at least avoid some of the problems. Even there, I'd make sure it is firmly secured and alert your cabin steward about what you're doing so he/she doesn't think you just left it out and bring it back inside. The scenery really is spectacular, so hopefully you can get plenty of pictures.

Edited by Kartgv

We didn't get a balcony cabin because the cost is outrageous and we're never in our cabin.

I'd probably set it up somewhere we can hang by it for the duration anyway. Just wondering if there's somewhere, "hidden," I might be able to find.

We didn't get a balcony cabin because the cost is outrageous and we're never in our cabin.

I'd probably set it up somewhere we can hang by it for the duration anyway. Just wondering if there's somewhere, "hidden," I might be able to find.

We usually get a mini-suite just so we have room for our photography gear. We do spend enough time in it to enjoy the balcony, and we feel that Ultimate Balcony Dining is a must-do, but to each their own.

If you want a "good" spot to set up, go to deck 16 ("Sun"), pick a side, and head aft. Once you get aft of MUTS, you'll probably find far less crowds, since there's less flexibility to see the other side or run to the other side. When we did our 2010 northbound, we finally discovered that area for College Fjord after dealing with some whiny people up where you can see over the pool opening to the other side. One interesting note: if you're back there and out of the sun, it'll be cold, but it'll be warm when you're in the sun. I stood there with two cameras and a tripod while my wife went to the other (shady) side. I ended up "stripping" my two coats, so I was in just an undershirt and a polo, happy as a clam, and she came walking back when the ship began to pivot, cold to the bone. Soon enough, I understood what she'd felt "on the other side".

My wife and I are going to be on the same sailing (come introduce yourselves on the roll call) . This is our second Alaska trip, and we picked a mini suite both times. I used the balcony a lot last time, and expect to do the same on this one.

My wife and I are going to be on the same sailing (come introduce yourselves on the roll call) . This is our second Alaska trip, and we picked a mini suite both times. I used the balcony a lot last time, and expect to do the same on this one.

We'd love to meet up with others. I'll have to do that.

The first time we cruised we got a balcony. But we really spend very little time in our cabin so haven't gotten one since.

One thought is make a couple of friends on your rollcall that have balcony's on both sides of the ship and will allow you to use their balcony. Maybe trade a copy of your finished product. Just a thought. The old saying is "if you don't ask, you'll never know".

You have no idea how nuts it gets in open areas during viewing areas.

Even though I have a balcony I might just go looking for a person to share a balcony with on my deck opposite side. I might take my own advice. That would be far more comfortable than running around the decks.

framer

Looking for any suggestions about maximizing what we do/can do on the ship while at sea. Going with another couple and we're in our low to mid-40s so we're pretty active. Any tips on things we must do on the ship or places to check out on the ship?

Also, question about the day we cruise through Glacier Bay. I'm a photographer by trade and wanted to set up one or two timelapse cameras to capture the trip through the bay. Figure one on either side of the ship if possible. Obviously, I need to be aware of them possibly being stolen but wondering if anyone might have an idea of where I could hide a couple of small cameras (they're about 2.5 times the size of a GoPro so not a huge camera at all).

Thanks for any and all tips!

When entering Glacier Bay its kind of neat to be up and watch the Park Service board the ship. They come along side while the ship is still cruising and grab hold of a rope ladder to get onboard. IF YOU LIKE photography be on deck as you leave Glacer Bay and enter ICY Straights. I have seen so many whales you could not count them and a whole lot of them breaching. Have fun. We will be on our 7th year in a row on Princes to Glacier Bay all but one. We will be on board the 4th of June. Take a good pair of binoculars. If you watch along the beaches you have a good chance to see Brown bears.

One thought is make a couple of friends on your rollcall that have balcony's on both sides of the ship and will allow you to use their balcony. Maybe trade a copy of your finished product. Just a thought. The old saying is "if you don't ask, you'll never know".

You have no idea how nuts it gets in open areas during viewing areas.

Even though I have a balcony I might just go looking for a person to share a balcony with on my deck opposite side. I might take my own advice. That would be far more comfortable than running around the decks.

framer

Great idea and I thought about that. Have to post over there.

Thanks.

When entering Glacier Bay its kind of neat to be up and watch the Park Service board the ship. They come along side while the ship is still cruising and grab hold of a rope ladder to get onboard. IF YOU LIKE photography be on deck as you leave Glacer Bay and enter ICY Straights. I have seen so many whales you could not count them and a whole lot of them breaching. Have fun. We will be on our 7th year in a row on Princes to Glacier Bay all but one. We will be on board the 4th of June. Take a good pair of binoculars. If you watch along the beaches you have a good chance to see Brown bears.

Thanks, I'm a photographer by trade so... ;)

And I'm ordering some binoculars with image stabilization.

Thanks for the tips!

framer

Very nice advice!

We are also sailing on this cruise with friends. I'm a professional photographer as well - wildlufe, landscapes, formerly commercial. We sailed on the Crown last year to the Mexican Riviera and really liked the Crown. This is the second Alaskan cruise for us , the first was 17 years ago. I will be burning through a lot of digital memory in Glacier Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

So booked the last 4 seats on the Helicopter/Glacier Trek on Mendenhall from Juneau! WooHOO!

Now, I'm a big guy--bit of a bodybuilder--and they've got the weight surcharge. I'm below 250 but will need to do a bit of a cut before then as they weigh you with all of the gear on (heavy boots, layers, etc.). It'll be worth it. Hope the weather holds. 2 hours treking on the glacier...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!

You're gonna love it! I gotta dig up the photo my wife took of me climbing an ice wall during our glacier hike.

I'm looking forward to it. Everything else is cool and all but have wanted to see the glaciers my whole life.

So still trying to figure out the best way to spend our time in Ketchikan. I know some people seemed to have liked the seaplane to Misty Fjord and others say it's just ok. So not sure we'll be doing that.

Has anyone gone to the top of Married Man Trail and taken the gondola back down? That sounds interesting. Thinking about doing that then maybe doing the George Inlet Lodge/Lumberjack show. Any thoughts on this?

Any other suggestions?

We're doing the train/bus in Juneau through Chilkoot Charters.

Not much time in Victoria so not worried about anything crazy there.

So Ketchikan is all that's left.

Thanks.

So booked the last 4 seats on the Helicopter/Glacier Trek on Mendenhall from Juneau! WooHOO!

Now, I'm a big guy--bit of a bodybuilder--and they've got the weight surcharge. I'm below 250 but will need to do a bit of a cut before then as they weigh you with all of the gear on (heavy boots, layers, etc.). It'll be worth it. Hope the weather holds. 2 hours treking on the glacier...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!

When I went (in 2010), they provided overboots and an orange life vest, and I did not have to wear those on the scale - they don't count towards your 250 pound allotment.

When I went (in 2010), they provided overboots and an orange life vest, and I did not have to wear those on the scale - they don't count towards your 250 pound allotment.

That's a good thing. I should be about 230 when I go but eating out will bloat me a bit with water weight. So I'm trying to account for that.

Has anyone gone to the top of Married Man Trail and taken the gondola back down? That sounds interesting.
On our last stop in Ketchikan, we took the public bus to Totem Bight State Park. We spent a couple of hours there before catching the bus back. That left us time to walk over to Creek Street, up the Married Man's Trail and ride the gondola back down. We were there the second week of August, so still lots of salmon swimming up the creek and otters trying to catch them.

On our last stop in Ketchikan, we took the public bus to Totem Bight State Park. We spent a couple of hours there before catching the bus back. That left us time to walk over to Creek Street, up the Married Man's Trail and ride the gondola back down. We were there the second week of August, so still lots of salmon swimming up the creek and otters trying to catch them.

So it's worth doing then?

So it's worth doing then?

Well, that would depend on you! It depends on what you like or dislike... some person's ideal excursion could be boring to others. You're not going to get 100% guarantee. All the posters can do is give you their experiences. You decide.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

We've done Alaska three times. My parents are late 60's. DH is 39 and I'm 36.

Juneau: Eat at Tracy's

Ketchikan: Ziplinning was my favorite. Helicopter tour was DH favorite.

Skagway: It's low-key, but the White Pass Train

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app