Scenic River Cruises

Solent Richard

While I'm always confident that what I book will be a good experience there is certainly not a lot of discussion on these boards regarding Scenic Luxury Cruises.

The itinerary that I have booked later this year is entitled 'Beautiful Bordeaux' and is on Scenic Diamond...

26000700940_c04990244f_z.jpg

Does any member have any experience with this company please?

They certainly appear to be at the high end of river cruising: every stateroom/suite has a butler.

While I'm always confident that what I book will be a good experience there is certainly not a lot of discussion on these boards regarding Scenic Luxury Cruises.

The itinerary that I have booked later this year is entitled 'Beautiful Bordeaux' and is on Scenic Diamond...

They certainly appear to be at the high end of river cruising: every stateroom/suite has a butler.

IMO, it is not accurate to say that "every stateroom has a butler". The butlers are all shared and the level of service provided is directly related to the category booked.

We are on Scenic in Bordeaux in three weeks. I will be posting my thoughts (and comparisons to the other lines we have experienced) when we return.

The reason for the lack of discussion on Scenic is that they are very new to the North American market. On our sailing, we are two of only a handful.

Howdy Solent Richard,

We are LoneStarCruisinCouple,Lisa and Gary from Sugar Land,Texas where Life is just a Little Sweeter.

All I can say is that you are certainly going to be in for a Treat in having booked with Scenic.

Yes it is such a shame as folks here in The US think that they are getting really something extra special when they cruise with Viking and if only they new what they were missing.

Unfortunate Scenic like stated is a new company into the US market and with the strong advertising that Viking does a lot of folks just don't see what all is out there and available to them. If only they new but then I would also say it depends on the person and what it is that they expect from the cruise line that they choose to sail with. For us it was All Inclusive and no hidden charges and The 5 Star Luxury that one receives with Scenic.

Lisa and I traveled last September on one of the newest ships to the fleet, The Jasper and were in one of The Royal Panorama Suites cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest and all I can say is EXCELLENT.

Our cabin was Huge 475 Sq. Ft. and what a view as with being in the back corner of the ship we had an astounding panoramic wrap view. Yes all the cabins do have the use of The Private Butlers but like also stated it is a matter of your cabin as to what level of service that you shall receive.For us it was so very nice as with being in the back it is a long ways up to the Dining Rooms and The Cappuccino Machine so we arranged for our Coffee and Orange Juice to come to the room and every once and a while we would also have breakfast served out on our Balcony. We also had a Cocktail Party the first evening on board in our cabin and we had 14 folks and The Butler took care of it all. All our Laundry taken care of and even had limo transfers from the airport to our hotels both coming and going and to the ship and Visa Versa. With all the Gratuities taken care of even including that of the tour guides was extremely nice as no Hidden Charges and or Nickle and Dimming you for this and or for that.

We both totally enjoyed as on our cruise there was 100 Aussies,40 Canadians and the rest of us a mix. Great for me as I spent most of my younger years growing up in Melbourne ,Australia and to be back with all those Aussies for me was simply a pleasure as I don't know what it is but those folks just have some sort of a knack for knowing how to enjoy and can they put away a Good Froth.

The thing that at least to us that made the experience so very enjoyable is that the size of the ship makes it a more intimate experience and folks get to know one another and just a fun experience all the way around.

If you may like as just so you can get an idea of the ship, I have on YouTube 3 short videos that may give you some sort of an idea as what you can expect.

If you go to YouTube and type in Alex Rizzotti, my neighbor as I used his computer seeing that he had the program installed and enter. You shall see Gary and Lisa's European trip Part One, Two,and Three. Will give you and idea as it is as you said.

LUXURY!!!

Wishing You A FunTastic Time

Yes the cruise is certainly Great and Wonderful,however it is the Folks That You meet and The Friendships That are Formed as Those Are The Ships That Shall Sail Forever.

Did we get hooked Yes,so much so that if it wasn't for leaving for Maui in a couple of Days we would be cruising again this year but had to wait until next.

Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and we ourselves are adding Nice and Monte Carlo September 15,2017

and the following year Cuba in Depth Scenic's new ship The Eclipse October 18,2018.

Gary

Hello Solant Richard, how is my old part of the U.K? We are on our 5th Scenic cruise this June and it's the Bordaux one, we have been on Diamond before she was moved to Bordaux. The butlers are wonderful in fact all the crew are, once your on board you can relax all you have to worry about is what to eat, drink and what excursion to choose. There is a huge Scenic thread on the River Cruising Roll Calls section. There are far more Americans and Australians on these forums but there are more and more of us Brits chipping in. Any particular questions just ask on the whole were a friendly bunch.

CA

Solent Richard, if you scroll down there is another thread about Scenic.

I was on Scenic Opal from Budapest to Nuremberg last fall. We were down in aquarium class and it was just fine. We, too, had a butler but we didn't see much of him. Met him the first day and asked for certain beverages in our mini bar and they were always there.

Our room steward was there ALL the time and kept the room spotless. You don't have to tip but she was so hard working that we did give here something.

The tours were all very nice and there were lots of extras.

There was a low water issue and it was handled to our satisfaction. Special provisions were made for some people who were not taking the extension to Prague.

People onboard were very friendly and a group of 10 of us had a "reunion" dinner in Prague one evening.

I'm already booked for a cruise through Belgium and the Netherlands in 2017.

We did a comparision with some other cruise lines and, with the tours we wanted, Scenic was just about the same price. It was nice to walk off the ship not owing a dime.

I was on Scenic Opal from Budapest to Nuremberg last fall. We were down in aquarium class and it was just fine. We, too, had a butler but we didn't see much of him. Met him the first day and asked for certain beverages in our mini bar and they were always there.

Our room steward was there ALL the time and kept the room spotless. You don't have to tip but she was so hard working that we did give here something.

There was a low water issue and it was handled to our satisfaction. Special provisions were made for some people who were not taking the extension to Prague.

People onboard were very friendly and a group of 10 of us had a "reunion" dinner in Prague one evening.

We did a comparision with some other cruise lines and, with the tours we wanted, Scenic was just about the same price. It was nice to walk off the ship not owing a dime.

Good Evening NancyEvens, I just bet that you were on the same cruise last year as Jeb_bud ( Joe Brooks and his Wife )

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple from Sugar Land,Texas life is just a Little Sweeter.

Me and Joe talk every once and awhile and for about a month we were going to do the same itinerary next year but he and I both had a change of plans . He is doing an Alaskan Cruise and we are booked for The Spectacular South Of France with Paris and adding Nice and Monte Carlo ourselves and then October of 2018 we are booked on The New Scenic Eclipse and doing Cuba In Depth.

In a way it is good that maybe a lot of folks don't know about Scenic as it keeps the best for us few.

Anyways it sounds as if you as well have gotten what most of us get and that is hooked on River Cruising.

Just so nice and peaceful and relaxing. Anyways just wanted to say howdy and wishing you Smooth Sailings and a Pleasant Trip.

To One and All

It is a matter of Having Fun

Yes the cruises are Great and Wonderful,but it is the Folks that you meet and The Friendships that are Formed as those are the Types of Ships that Shall Sail Forever.

Gary

LoneStar, yes it was the same cruise as JebBud.

I was in Monte Carlo a number of years ago. Its easy to see why the rich and famous go to the south of France. It's easy to get around by bus. On our own went to visit the Rothschild villa at Beaulieu sur Mer. Also did a mini bus tour that did go to the places advertised but the guide was terrible. He hardly talked at all and when he did you could not always tell if he was speaking German, English or just chewing on his mustache. But the area is beautiful!

The only problem we had was that we could not get on the local meal schedule. Restaurants didn't serve between about 2-6 p.m. We did find one nice place that was open 24/7 and ended up eating there 3 times just because nothing else seemed to be opened.

IMO, it is not accurate to say that "every stateroom has a butler". The butlers are all shared and the level of service provided is directly related to the category booked.

We are on Scenic in Bordeaux in three weeks. I will be posting my thoughts (and comparisons to the other lines we have experienced) when we return.

The reason for the lack of discussion on Scenic is that they are very new to the North American market. On our sailing, we are two of only a handful.

Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will look forward to your review.

We have opted for what is called a 'Junior Suite' and I was very taken by an offer that came through the post...

25668748904_9cbe8d61ac_z.jpg

Thanks again and bon voyage.

Howdy Solent Richard,

We are LoneStarCruisinCouple,Lisa and Gary from Sugar Land,Texas where Life is just a Little Sweeter.

All I can say is that you are certainly going to be in for a Treat in having booked with Scenic.

Yes it is such a shame as folks here in The US think that they are getting really something extra special when they cruise with Viking and if only they new what they were missing.

Unfortunate Scenic like stated is a new company into the US market and with the strong advertising that Viking does a lot of folks just don't see what all is out there and available to them. If only they new but then I would also say it depends on the person and what it is that they expect from the cruise line that they choose to sail with. For us it was All Inclusive and no hidden charges and The 5 Star Luxury that one receives with Scenic.

Lisa and I traveled last September on one of the newest ships to the fleet, The Jasper and were in one of The Royal Panorama Suites cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest and all I can say is EXCELLENT.

Our cabin was Huge 475 Sq. Ft. and what a view as with being in the back corner of the ship we had an astounding panoramic wrap view. Yes all the cabins do have the use of The Private Butlers but like also stated it is a matter of your cabin as to what level of service that you shall receive.For us it was so very nice as with being in the back it is a long ways up to the Dining Rooms and The Cappuccino Machine so we arranged for our Coffee and Orange Juice to come to the room and every once and a while we would also have breakfast served out on our Balcony. We also had a Cocktail Party the first evening on board in our cabin and we had 14 folks and The Butler took care of it all. All our Laundry taken care of and even had limo transfers from the airport to our hotels both coming and going and to the ship and Visa Versa. With all the Gratuities taken care of even including that of the tour guides was extremely nice as no Hidden Charges and or Nickle and Dimming you for this and or for that.

We both totally enjoyed as on our cruise there was 100 Aussies,40 Canadians and the rest of us a mix. Great for me as I spent most of my younger years growing up in Melbourne ,Australia and to be back with all those Aussies for me was simply a pleasure as I don't know what it is but those folks just have some sort of a knack for knowing how to enjoy and can they put away a Good Froth.

The thing that at least to us that made the experience so very enjoyable is that the size of the ship makes it a more intimate experience and folks get to know one another and just a fun experience all the way around.

If you may like as just so you can get an idea of the ship, I have on YouTube 3 short videos that may give you some sort of an idea as what you can expect.

If you go to YouTube and type in Alex Rizzotti, my neighbor as I used his computer seeing that he had the program installed and enter. You shall see Gary and Lisa's European trip Part One, Two,and Three. Will give you and idea as it is as you said.

LUXURY!!!

Wishing You A FunTastic Time

Yes the cruise is certainly Great and Wonderful,however it is the Folks That You meet and The Friendships That are Formed as Those Are The Ships That Shall Sail Forever.

Did we get hooked Yes,so much so that if it wasn't for leaving for Maui in a couple of Days we would be cruising again this year but had to wait until next.

Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and we ourselves are adding Nice and Monte Carlo September 15,2017

and the following year Cuba in Depth Scenic's new ship The Eclipse October 18,2018.

Gary

Good morning Lisa & Gary.

And thank you for that truly comprehensive insight into Scenic.

I must confess I'm a veteran of 5 Viking and 2 APT river cruises but am always on the look out for variety.

You certainly sound like the kinda folks I like to hook up with on river cruises.

Great Youtube as well. I assume I'm allowed to link it here...

Thanks again and God Bless America.

PS. You just may like to see my Burmese river cruise last month...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/03/10/princess-panhwar-on-the-road-to-mandalay/

Hello Solant Richard, how is my old part of the U.K? We are on our 5th Scenic cruise this June and it's the Bordaux one, we have been on Diamond before she was moved to Bordaux. The butlers are wonderful in fact all the crew are, once your on board you can relax all you have to worry about is what to eat, drink and what excursion to choose. There is a huge Scenic thread on the River Cruising Roll Calls section. There are far more Americans and Australians on these forums but there are more and more of us Brits chipping in. Any particular questions just ask on the whole were a friendly bunch.

CA

Good morning Canal Archive from a sunny but windy Solent.

Thank you also for your prompt response. To be honest I'm a little overwhelmed by the responses at the moment however I'm sure I'll have something in the line of a question.

Thanks again.

Richard

Hi Nancy.

Excellent and thank you for taking the time to respond.

Good morning Lisa & Gary.

And thank you for that truly comprehensive insight into Scenic.

I must confess I'm a veteran of 5 Viking and 2 APT river cruises but am always on the look out for variety.

You certainly sound like the kinda folks I like to hook up with on river cruises.

Great Youtube as well. I assume I'm allowed to link it here...

Thanks again and God Bless America.

PS. You just may like to see my Burmese river cruise last month...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/03/10/princess-panhwar-on-the-road-to-mandalay/

Good Morning Richard,

So very nice in hearing back from you and looks to be that you are a very versed Traveler, and also nice in seeing your pictures of your trip.

Appeared that you and I have some various different things in common as while I was younger I have cruised with P & O, Cunard on the Old Queen Mary,( was something as we had taken a Mexican Rivera Cruise out of Long Beach California and The Queen Mary was docked right beside our ship and brought back a lot of old memories for me ) and with living in Houston and Galveston is just a Hop, Skip,and a jump down the road from us have cruised with Carnival several different times. Yes I may be Old but enjoy Loungin" Laughin" and those Mighty Fine Tasting Libations. I also retired from Continental Airlines some years ago and then I just retired from working with Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World last year. With my Mother being from Australia as a kid I spent most of my younger years in growing up in Melbourne but also have been back several different times and just love it there.

Anyways getting back to your river cruising. I was certainly amazed when you had said that you had cruised with Viking as yes they may have the most ships and all but they at least to me lack in offering I guess I would say The Bang for the bucks that are spent. With having to pay for this and having to pay for that you will certainly find Scenic a nice change from that of Viking.

Oh I was going to tell you that last year instead of flying with United which bought Continental we flew on British Airways and was certainly very nice with the one exception of having a Five hour delay out at Heathrow. Thank goodness for the Lounges.

Again Wishing You Smooth Sailings

Cheers

Lisa and Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Towling bathrobes, towling slippers, large bottles of still & fizzy water replaced every day if needed, l'occtaine shower gel, body cream, soap, shampoo, conditioner just a pity they don't supply their hand cream it's really nice. Your butler will also stock your fridge with different drinks if you don't like what is supplied he or she will also supply you with ice. There is red wine as well obviously not in the fridge. Just don't forget to put water in your vase for your rose, I did one year and it didn't last very long, it's about the only thing to do unless you are in a suite that your butler unpacks for you that's about the hardest thing you will have to do and there is loads of storage then put your empty cases under the bed. All done enjoy your cruise. CA

Hi not-so-ancient-mariner, good question, yes two robes and two pairs of slippers, as we have never, yet had to use the walking poles and umbrella from memory I think one umbrella and two walking poles but as you are in a Royal Panorama Suite I am sure your butler will magic up more if you require. As for binoculars I read somewhere last year that they would be available to borrow from reception but I don't know if that is correct, we always take a small but quite powerful Tasco pair with us and I have my paperazzie Canon lens, very useful. Happy cruising CA

Edited by Canal archive

This is our first Scenic cruise, in fact, first river cruise. We booked in January of this year. Because tours are capacity controlled, our TA informed us that several of the tours were no longer available. Will we be able to get onto any of the tours once we're onboard?

Last fall I was in Scenic Opal from Budapest. There was never any problem with getting the tours we wanted. The only complaint I heard was about the bicycle ride from Durnstein. People signed up as soon as possible thinking they would get an electric assist bicycle only to have the bikes given out in a first come first serve basis.

Don't know what your TA means by "capacity controlled". We signed up for the first two tours online and then everyone chose the tours they wanted as we went along. Look at your profile in the Scenic website to choose the first tours.

We are going on our fifth Scenic cruise this year and I have never heard of anyone not being able to go on a tour of their choice. Scenic go over and beyond to ensure that their customers are happy. On our Scenic Gem cruise two years ago we were the only ones going on one tour we had a car plus tour guide to ourselves, wonderful. You usually choose two or three tours prior to you cruise on your trip personaliser the others on board, the cruise director holds a port talk each day, usually early evening before dinner they explain the different tours and ask you to choose the next couple of days tours. It would be interesting to find out where your TA got this information from.

Enjoy your cruise CA

Don't know what your TA means by "capacity controlled". We signed up for the first two tours online and then everyone chose the tours they wanted as we went along. Look at your profile in the Scenic website to choose the first tours.

There doesn't seem to be a profile login for the Scenic USA portal. I tried the Australian website, which does have a profile login, but was unable to access our booking. Guess we'll book once we're onboard. Regardless, we're very much looking forward to our first river cruise.