NCL Breakaway Haven questions and advice

tracianna

Hey everyone! I have read countless threads about all things Breakaway on this site and I think I am just obsessed with planning this cruise for my family and trying it to make it the best time of their lives. We are currently sailing on the Breakaway on 9/11/16. Mainly my question is, should I book a haven suite?

Just to give you a little background, I am 18 years old and I am paying for the cruise for my mom (54) and sister (21). I know that the haven suites are VERY expensive and I never even thought about them when I first booked because of how much they cost and I didn't think I could afford it. However, as I was reading some of the threads and learned about up sells and that is really when the Haven got my attention. My mom has 2 diseases (Fibromyalgia and Scleroderma) and we just found out that the Scleroderma is most likely going systemic, which means that it could cause her organs to shut down. Since we don't really know how much longer she will be with us, I thought that maybe it would be worth it to splurge (and possibly use all of my savings) and get a haven suite. I can't help thinking, what if this is our last chance at a vacation all together? It has always been my mom's dream to be able to go on a cruise and I am thrilled that I am already helping her to fulfill that dream but I thought it would be a wonderful surprise for her and my sister because right now we are only in an inside.

Do you think it would be worth it to spend a lot more money for a haven suite? If I do decide to splurge would you advise to just change my reservation now or wait and take the chance of possibly getting an up sell?

P.S. Sorry this is so long. I have just been trying to figure this out in my head and I can't really talk about it with my mom or sister because I would want it to be a surprise.

I think that is so sweet of you but I'm sure you and your mom and sister will have a great time without you having to drain your bank account .

You can always wait for an upsell closer to your cruise, and if you get it great if not like I said you will have an awesome time as long as everyone you love is with you on this cruise .

Edited by ann41

Wow! WHat an amazing daughter/sister you are. While I don't want you to go into debt or sacrifice your future financial security, I DO want to note that the Breakaway is a very big ship. If mobility is an issue for your mom the Haven has the advantage of including much of the cruise benefits (pool, ocean, food) in one spot.

I think that you should wait until 3-4 weeks prior to your sailing and then call the up-sell number. The prices for The Haven are exorbitant at regular price. We sail in May and have received two offers for up-sells. All of the Penthouse suites are still available, so I'll wait and see what's offered closer to sailing.

I'm also quite sure that your mom and your sister would not want you to deplete your savings just to be in a suite. Plenty of spots on the ship for quiet times for your mom.

You are a lovely young lady to be doing this for your family. I hope you all have a wonderful time, regardless of which cabin you choose.

I don't know if the haven suites are worth depleting your bank account, but you could also try to move up into a balcony or oceanview? They will do the up sells for those a week out or you can watch the prices and try to get an upgrade before final payment? No matter what you do I think you guys will have a great time and you are awesome for doing this for your family!

Very sweet & loving thing to do!!! The Haven would be a nice surprise but I really don't think it's worth depleting your account. TBH, you may need some of your savings for other things your mom may need in the future.

If I were you, I'd book what you feel absolutely comfortable with now, whether it be an inside, OV or balcony. Then do your upsell homework (like I'm doing). Have all of your ducks in a row for that upsell window (2 to 3 weeks or so before the trip) and be ready to pull the trigger when it comes.

Keep it to yourself - this way no one will be disappointed if it doesn't work out. Not that they would be, but you'll feel better to not have disappointed anyone should the Haven not come a reality.

I'm just off the breakaway haven in an upsell. The haven is only offered as an up selll to balcony and above cabins. Make sure you calculate the additional tipping for staff butler, concierge, bar and restaurant if you book the haven now. The Haven is wonderful but I'm not sure I'd deplete my savings for it.

Have you considered looking at the spa mini suite or balcony? You get access to the thermal suite which is a nice place to relax with your family. It doesn't include the haven ( unless you have the haven/spa room) but it can be way more reasonably priced while still getting something extra.

I'm just off the breakaway haven in an upsell. The haven is only offered as an up selll to balcony and above cabins. Make sure you calculate the additional tipping for staff butler, concierge, bar and restaurant if you book the haven now. The Haven is wonderful but I'm not sure I'd deplete my savings for it.

You are able to upsell to the haven with any room. I just went from an inside room to haven for my cruise at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are able to upsell to the haven with any room. I just went from an inside room to haven for my cruise at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While it is true that you can upsell from any category of room, it's only if there are Haven rooms still available. There's no guarantee that there will be. Always book the room you will be happy with if you aren't able to get an upsell.

Hey everyone! I have read countless threads about all things Breakaway on this site and I think I am just obsessed with planning this cruise for my family and trying it to make it the best time of their lives. We are currently sailing on the Breakaway on 9/11/16. Mainly my question is, should I book a haven suite?

Just to give you a little background, I am 18 years old and I am paying for the cruise for my mom (54) and sister (21). I know that the haven suites are VERY expensive and I never even thought about them when I first booked because of how much they cost and I didn't think I could afford it. However, as I was reading some of the threads and learned about up sells and that is really when the Haven got my attention. My mom has 2 diseases (Fibromyalgia and Scleroderma) and we just found out that the Scleroderma is most likely going systemic, which means that it could cause her organs to shut down. Since we don't really know how much longer she will be with us, I thought that maybe it would be worth it to splurge (and possibly use all of my savings) and get a haven suite. I can't help thinking, what if this is our last chance at a vacation all together? It has always been my mom's dream to be able to go on a cruise and I am thrilled that I am already helping her to fulfill that dream but I thought it would be a wonderful surprise for her and my sister because right now we are only in an inside.

Do you think it would be worth it to spend a lot more money for a haven suite? If I do decide to splurge would you advise to just change my reservation now or wait and take the chance of possibly getting an up sell?

P.S. Sorry this is so long. I have just been trying to figure this out in my head and I can't really talk about it with my mom or sister because I would want it to be a surprise.

I don't think the haven is worth it for you if it means wiping out your savings. You'll still have a blast on the cruise regardless of whether you're in a suite.

I've never sailed in the Haven, but I would say if you want to splurge a -little- extra, move up to an oceanview or balcony. In my opinion that would be worth a couple hundred dollars instead of a couple thousand. There are definitely perks of the Haven, but -most- of the ship is the same no matter what cabin you're in. Personally if this may be your one shot at a vacation with your mom and your sister, I would opt for a room with at least a window. The Haven has perks but unless you REALLY upgrade, the cabins aren't really THAT much bigger than a balcony. Just my opinion though.

The Haven is wonderful and if you get a upsell think about doing it.. If you want to make the cruise special (BTW I think you are just awesome, time is precious) think about moving to a balcony. Then your next choices. Would she like to spend hours watching the sea. There are two great choices. Aft balconies (non haven) and balconies with large balconies, deck 9. Bermuda is so beautiful, you will enjoy the time on your balcony. The water is green turquoise. I got up at 6 in the morning on the balcony to watch us enter into the waters of Bermuda.

This will be a splurge, having the balcony rooms, and although far from cheap, really much better for you. Surprise them.

If your Mom wants a relaxing surprise in Bermuda. Check into the day pass at a hotel there. Around 75 per person, lunch included at a beautiful resort. Private pool, private beach.

I am sorry you and your family are dealing with this. I lost my mom at 19 to cancer so I can sympathize. The fact that you are working so hard to make your moms dreams come true is a fact of the wonderful child she has raised.

One week is not worth you depleting your savings for a Haven room. As a mom now, I would never ever want my children to sacrifice for me. I would rather know my children have the safety of some savings than a vacation.

I do think if you can afford it look into a spa room. Since they include spa passes you, your sister and your mom can be pampered at a fraction of the cost.

Of course call for a up sale but don't risk your future for 1 week of your life.

I agree with everyone else that I don't think a Haven suite is worth wiping out your savings account, I've never sailed in a haven room before and have still have an amazing time.

Call the upsell # and see what they can do for you and it's not too damaging to your wallet then go ahead. But like others have said you have too remember about the $$ it costs for excursions, tips, upcharge restaurants, drinks, souvenirs, etc. little things can add up so you may not want to spend your last penny on the room.

On a side note, my FIL has had scaladerma for the past 15 years, It has effected his hands but he is still independent. I guess it effects everyone differently. Hopefully your mom has a lot of time left with you!

I've never sailed in the Haven, but I would say if you want to splurge a -little- extra, move up to an oceanview or balcony. In my opinion that would be worth a couple hundred dollars instead of a couple thousand. There are definitely perks of the Haven, but -most- of the ship is the same no matter what cabin you're in. Personally if this may be your one shot at a vacation with your mom and your sister, I would opt for a room with at least a window. The Haven has perks but unless you REALLY upgrade, the cabins aren't really THAT much bigger than a balcony. Just my opinion though.

That is very untrue......We have an H6 aft penthouse on the breakaway and the cabin and balcony are MUCH larger than a regular balcony...."just your opinion though":rolleyes:

That is very untrue......We have an H6 aft penthouse on the breakaway and the cabin and balcony are MUCH larger than a regular balcony...."just your opinion though":rolleyes:

Okay, you're right, I should have said "the cabins aren't really THAT much bigger than a balcony TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE. That's the part that is "just my opinion though." Actually, I suppose the entire post is the part that's just my opnion, not just the penultimate sentence.

Yes, the aft-facing penthouse compared to a typical balcony DOES have significantly more space - but it comes with a HEFTY price increase also! Not all of the pertinent cabins are available on OP's sailing for comparison, so I looked at the week following just to get numbers. For three people, including cruise, taxes etc, and gratuities:

Inside cabin 129-150 sq ft $2475-2505 (what OP is currently booked in)

Oceanview cabin 161-218 sq ft $2955-3205

Balcony cabin (guaranteed, midship, family, large balcony) 207-245 sq ft $3055-3155

Aft-facing balcony 229-332 sq ft $3355

Haven courtyard penthouse 328 sq ft $6497

Haven aft-facing penthouse 655-824 sq ft $6997

So you're correct, and if the comparison was between a Haven COURTYARD Penthouse and the Haven AFT-FACING Penthouse, the size would be a big difference for a _relatively_ small price difference.

But compared to an inside cabin the OP is currently booked in, she could upgrade to a balcony or even a non-Haven aft-facing balcony for $500-1000 more. (Those are both available on her sailing.) To upgrade to a Haven aft-facing penthouse would be nearly $4500 more! (And that isn't even showing as an option on the website for that sailing.)

To me, it is not THAT much space to justify nearly tripling the price. I acknowledge that the perks of the Haven are SUBSTANTIALLY more than just cabin size... I realize my original post was somewhat vague, but when you're starting with a price around $2800, I would consider $4000 to be well within my original qualifier of "unless you REALLY upgrade..." ;)

***All numbers are based on the current prices online for the sailings of 9/11/16 and 9/18/16. I recognize that upsell prices could vary and might make the difference in prices LESS than the numbers here. And if anyone got an amazingly better deal, then you rock and that's awesome for you. :)

Edited by NJJenLyn

Okay, you're right, I should have said "the cabins aren't really THAT much bigger than a balcony TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE. That's the part that is "just my opinion though." Actually, I suppose the entire post is the part that's just my opnion, not just the penultimate sentence.

Yes, the aft-facing penthouse compared to a typical balcony DOES have significantly more space - but it comes with a HEFTY price increase also! Not all of the pertinent cabins are available on OP's sailing for comparison, so I looked at the week following just to get numbers. For three people, including cruise, taxes etc, and gratuities:

Inside cabin 129-150 sq ft $2475-2505 (what OP is currently booked in)

Oceanview cabin 161-218 sq ft $2955-3205

Balcony cabin (guaranteed, midship, family, large balcony) 207-245 sq ft $3055-3155

Aft-facing balcony 229-332 sq ft $3355

Haven courtyard penthouse 328 sq ft $6497

Haven aft-facing penthouse 655-824 sq ft $6997

So you're correct, and if the comparison was between a Haven COURTYARD Penthouse and the Haven AFT-FACING Penthouse, the size would be a big difference for a _relatively_ small price difference.

But compared to an inside cabin the OP is currently booked in, she could upgrade to a balcony or even a non-Haven aft-facing balcony for $500-1000 more. (Those are both available on her sailing.) To upgrade to a Haven aft-facing penthouse would be nearly $4500 more! (And that isn't even showing as an option on the website for that sailing.)

To me, it is not THAT much space to justify nearly tripling the price. I acknowledge that the perks of the Haven are SUBSTANTIALLY more than just cabin size... I realize my original post was somewhat vague, but when you're starting with a price around $2800, I would consider $4000 to be well within my original qualifier of "unless you REALLY upgrade..." ;)

***All numbers are based on the current prices online for the sailings of 9/11/16 and 9/18/16. I recognize that upsell prices could vary and might make the difference in prices LESS than the numbers here. And if anyone got an amazingly better deal, then you rock and that's awesome for you. :)

Well, going from maximum inside space to minimum AFP space, you're increasing your space more than four fold for less than triple the price. If you booked the largest AFP, you're looking at half the cost/sf. Price per square foot is actually lower in either case.

Well, going from maximum inside space to minimum AFP space, you're increasing your space more than four fold for less than triple the price. If you booked the largest AFP, you're looking at half the cost/sf. Price per square foot is actually lower in either case.
Yes, actually the price per square foot is the LOWEST on the Haven Aft Balcony. But I certainly wouldn't wipe out my savings for that.

OP, welcome to CC, there's a lot to learn & know about cruising. Your 7 days sailing is to Bermuda - the crossing to/from can sometimes be rough since we can't dictate mother nature but you should know the Breakaway is one of the largest megaships sailing anywhere in the world and among the biggest in the NCL fleet.

Regardless of whether you are staying with an Inside or Oceanview, try to book a mid-ship location with the lower decks being the smoothest & less prone to motion sickness, which hopefully, none of you are - in the unlikely event of running into exceptionally bad storm & weather on your sailing date. Has mom ever cruise before & is this a first time for everyone ? Please review your travel documents (everyone has passports, not required to cruise - with other acceptable documentations but necessary in case (and, just in case) need to fly back home, for whatever reason.

I also like to suggest considering trip interruption & travel insurance, with good medical/emergency coverage - given your mom's health (not knowing all the details, nor do we need to know or ask ... respecting privacy) - pray that everything will work out & all of you will get to cruise and everything. Spend that little extra first before going for the Haven upgrade - there are many ways to pamper everyone & yourself on this cruise.

There are things you can do once on the islands of Bermuda, as you will be docked there for 2 nights & 3 days - go to the Bermuda board here on CC & do some reading, maybe plan something special on land. Dockyard's Clocktower Mall has a # of restaurants & shops - you get the idea. Memories are priceless & you don't need to spend a ton of money to surprise mom on granting a wish or a sweet dream that she & you will cherish to eternity.

There are some financially sound ;) CC's here on this forum with assorted connections - perhaps I ought to suggest that you look into go fund me project & some of them can contribute to make your wish come true ... much like the make-a-wish foundation's work. What I am saying is, like a few others here feeling the same, don't drain your life savings and/or go into debt to chase the notion that a Haven experience on NCL is the only way to cruise - it is NOT, my opinion (of course !)

September is back to school and being still in hurricane season, prices from historical trends are that prices often come down after final payment cutoff & bargains can be found - with the risks that certain category of preferred cabins will be sold out & gone, or, the ship will sail full - unlikely for the 9/11/2016 sailing. If book already, continue to watch the changes in prices weekly, if not daily & if it dropped - time to call in to see if you can get a better cabin category for the same price paid or lowered price, maybe with extra perks (there is also the last minute "Sail Away" rates with usually rock bottom pricing.)

If you booked it yourself or directly with NCL, you can negotiate & call to speak with NCL's agents directly, or otherwise - by using an outside TA - you have to call them to call NCL to negotiate & make changes on your behalf.

NCL has a Special Needs desk that you can contact ahead of sailing, to inform them of any special requirements - and, alert the ship's medical staff if necessary. If mobility is an issue, perhaps you can get rebooked to one of the accessible cabins (if available, in most category of staterooms - subject to submitting proof of medical needs or letter from mom's PCP)

Just some of the ideas that popped while brainstorming on how you can "enrich" this cruise experience without closing the bank account to withdraw the savings, etc. etc. Please feel free to ask for clarifications if you aren't sure of something - and, of course, do use the "search" feature here on CC.

There is an active Roll Call on your sailing - I see that you already joined them, excellent - depending on the group, you might find some of them to be extra helpful, friendly & can come up with ways to help the family make the cruise a truly memorable one, without spending a fortune.

Edited by mking8288