Live from Viking Sea - Istanbul to Venice!

editor@cruisecritic

News for those who've been asking about schedules for 2017. Just received a mailing today that describes new cruises for Fall 2017/2018 (Caribbean) and Fall 2017/Spring-Summer 2018 (North Sea/Mediterranean).

News for those who've been asking about schedules for 2017. Just received a mailing today that describes new cruises for Fall 2017/2018 (Caribbean) and Fall 2017/Spring-Summer 2018 (North Sea/Mediterranean).

We got the brochure in the mail yesterday as well. It only gave months that certain itineraries operate, not dates. Also doesn't mention when the itineraries are bookable. Does your info say anything about that? I'll call my T/A later, but she didn't seem to have those answers yesterday when I asked. She just had the same mailing that we had.

She did say that her Viking rep stated that they're not looking at going back to Turkey until 2019.

I had hoped that the current Empires of the Mediterranean (the new itinerary) would still be around, but it appears to have been replaced by an 8 day itinerary without a sea day. Santorini is gone. That itinerary seems to reappear in March of 2018.

Edited by amyr

I probably got the same brochure as you. A thick card stock 4 page foldout. It's a pity tho completely understandable that Turkey is off their itinerary. Ephesus is a definite must see. Glad we did it with a church group a few years ago (2012). We heard how effects of the relatively new government were just beginning to be manifest themselves.

Yeah, we did the maiden Star Voyage, which was Empires of the Mediterranean, but I wanted to do it again with my sister and some friends. We liked the look of the reconfigured itinerary minus Turkey. We've been to Istanbul several times, and Ephesus too. We were hoping the new itinerary would stick for October 2017, but alas.

I love Turkey, especially Cappadocia, but I wouldn't go to Istanbul right now.

Did you see the South American itinerary that had Caracas on it? I was kind of surprised by that. Also that Tunis was still around. Kind of a head scratcher.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my opinion regarding the changes to Istanbul itineraries-

We sailed 29 days on Star's maiden voyage. Prior to our departing, several ports were cancelled/changed - a couple truly disappinting and key for us when we had booked so long prior. We were not the only ones feeling this way.

Our ports were not changed due to safety (as Istanbul is) but rather due to Viking's choices.

We contacted Viking directly....they worked with us in a fair and understanding manner - ports were not reversed back to original itinerary, but efforts were made....and it was then our choice to either sail or find another option than Viking....which took us some time, and careful thinking. We opted in.

We had a fantastic time. In spite of maiden first ship blips, Viking was top drawer, both people and ship - we will sail with them again for the right itinerary/date without reservation.

That said, there were those on board that carried their disappointment/frustration with them on the trip. They found fault with very minor issues, and complained to any whom they could. They played a role in ruining their experiences. And they also impacted others.

So I get the disappointment of the changes....Having been to Istanbul and other ports in Turkey, I also get how that could have been key in one's decision making.

All that said, My point is this - if anyone is so frustrated or disappointed over the changes, that you honestly just cannot let that go, then maybe finding another trip/cruise line would serve these individuals, and others on board best. No judgement here. Just some thoughts. There is no reason to take any vacation or trip that you feel you will not enjoy or it will not meet your expectations.

On the other hand, if you are able to adjust your thinking, (and if important, your independent travel outside of the cruise) and are able to accept the new itinerary, I believe that you will have a fantastic vacation sailing with Viking.

Also that Tunis was still around. Kind of a head scratcher.

We booked the New Year's in the Med cruise almost solely because of Tunis and yet knowing full well that at the first hint of a problem that Viking would cancel the call. I am hoping that all goes well and that no changes need to be made because I expect this port to be the highlight of the cruise (mostly because we have been to France, Spain and Italy but never to the African continent). I will be disappointed-- but I won't be gripping--because I knew when I booked that there was always a big, big question mark hanging over it.

We booked the New Year's in the Med cruise almost solely because of Tunis and yet knowing full well that at the first hint of a problem that Viking would cancel the call. I am hoping that all goes well and that no changes need to be made because I expect this port to be the highlight of the cruise (mostly because we have been to France, Spain and Italy but never to the African continent). I will be disappointed-- but I won't be gripping--because I knew when I booked that there was always a big, big question mark hanging over it.

Oh I hope you get to go! It will be an amazing port stop for sure.

I thought the maiden went off extremely well considering all the ports were new to Viking, the crew was all new to each other, and the ship was new to everybody. We figured ahead of time that the weak spot would be the included shore excursions and so did our own, and we weren't disappointed. I think a lot of the grousing was due to that.

Carolyn,

Love reading your notes and observations.

Do you know if/when Viking will post the menus for the Chef's Table for a particular cruise? We are booked for the New Year's in the Mediterranean and looking forward to the experience. Just wondering if menus will be posted in advance of opening for pre-cruise reservations.

Thank you and keep posting!

Carolyn,

Do you know if/when Viking will post the menus for the Chef's Table for a particular cruise? We are booked for the New Year's in the Mediterranean and looking forward to the experience. Just wondering if menus will be posted in advance of opening for pre-cruise reservations.

If it is of any help, when booking opened for pre-cruise reservations for our upcoming cruise, menus were not available.

If it is of any help, when booking opened for pre-cruise reservations for our upcoming cruise, menus were not available.

Search CC for Chef's Table and you'll find a thread from last year where one enterprising fellow scanned all the menus into PDF files which you can easily download for yourself. Whether the menus change based on cruise location is a good question. How the menus rotate is another. He scanned and posted the menus for all the other dining venues too. Hope this helps. Back to the presentation I'm preparing for tomorrow. And slogging away at![emoji47]

Search CC for Chef's Table and you'll find a thread from last year where one enterprising fellow scanned all the menus into PDF files which you can easily download for yourself. Whether the menus change based on cruise location is a good question. How the menus rotate is another. He scanned and posted the menus for all the other dining venues too. Hope this helps. Back to the presentation I'm preparing for tomorrow. And slogging away at![emoji47]

Thank you, CharTrav for the helpful hint. I just downloaded the menus so I can check them out

Here is a link to the menus that CharTrav is talking about; it is the link to download them, not to just view them. Here is a link to the thread itself, called "Viking Star Menus."

Edited by Peregrina651

We were just on the Viking Sea and did not sign up for any specialty restaurants until we boarded. We dined three times at the Chef's Table without any problem getting reservations. We had three different menus and all were excellent. The Chef's Table menu changes every 4 days (3 nights) and on the galley tour we were told there are 8 different menus that rotate. They do not post ahead of time what they are going to be. You can check the menus in your room on the TV for the day or on the screens around the ship. There is always someone at the World Café (port side) at lunchtime taking dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants. You might want to book the Chef's Table every 4th night and if you don't like the menu, just cancel your reservation.

We also dined 4 times at Manfredi's, no problem getting reservations there either.:)

Hi, Krisval. Just back from a whirlwind five nights on Viking Sea in Norway -- if you haven't been, wow, it's the most gorgeous place.

I have had good luck asking the maitre 'd at the restaurant for information on the voyage's Chef's Table.

By the way, and I think I wrote about this when I was on Sea in April -- Chef's Table's gotten so much better than it was on the initial Star. Much more fun, a little bit more laidback.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna pick on your post but for those who are STILL wondering why Viking along with other cruise lines are staying far far away from Istanbul -- much as I feel awful for the folks affected -- this is why: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/explosions-rock-istanbul-airport-multiple-injuries-reported-n600561. Just reported 30 min ago.