Vancouver - 4 Star Priority Boarding/Wheelchair Assistance Questions

We're boarding, in Vancouver, in about three weeks for our first cruise as 4 star Mariners. My mother likes to get wheelchair assistance for boarding because we have had some not so great boarding experiences in the past few cruises, what with traipsing all through Canada Place, back and forth, up and down, not to mention the long waits for the wheelchair and/or assistant. These issues had, I think, more to do with three or four ships in port at the same time and the numerous passengers coming and going.

This time, we will only have our ship in port when we embark. Yea!! So, my questions are: is there a special waiting area in Vancouver for 4/5 star/suite pax to wait? Is the wheelchair assistance available from that special area or is it the same area that all pax requiring assistance go to, regardless of mariner status? What's the difference between the special waiting area and the regular waiting area? Just fewer people? Cushier seating? Inquiring minds want to know!!

And, while we're on the subject, what about FLL? Next cruise is from there! But right now, I'd really like to know about Vancouver.

Thank you very much for your help!

AQ

Last year,I noticed that if you arrive in a wheelchair, one of the HALAssistants would show you to a different line.

However, this is another year, first cruise, and so routines might change.

Once you are through Customs, there is a separate line, and you would board first.

Hope this is helpful for you and your

Mom.

Puddles

We're boarding, in Vancouver, in about three weeks for our first cruise as 4 star Mariners. My mother likes to get wheelchair assistance for boarding because we have had some not so great boarding experiences in the past few cruises, what with traipsing all through Canada Place, back and forth, up and down, not to mention the long waits for the wheelchair and/or assistant. These issues had, I think, more to do with three or four ships in port at the same time and the numerous passengers coming and going.

This time, we will only have our ship in port when we embark. Yea!! So, my questions are: is there a special waiting area in Vancouver for 4/5 star/suite pax to wait? Is the wheelchair assistance available from that special area or is it the same area that all pax requiring assistance go to, regardless of mariner status? What's the difference between the special waiting area and the regular waiting area? Just fewer people? Cushier seating? Inquiring minds want to know!!

And, while we're on the subject, what about FLL? Next cruise is from there! But right now, I'd really like to know about Vancouver.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello AQ. In Vancouver when you require wheelchair assistance it's still from the same area, and you have to wait your turn as there are never enough wheelchairs. Fortunately for us, we are cruising from our home port so we take our own wheelchair, which save that part of hurry-up-and-wait. Sorry I don't know about 4* waiting areas - I'm not there yet.;)

When cruising out of anywhere but our home port, and especially in FLL, we always pre-order a wheelchair for pickup at the terminal, from Special Needs At Sea. The process is easy in FLL, pick up is just outside. Into the wheelchair goes DH, he pushes the wheeled carry-on, and away we go, being directed by the port staff, who are very good.

Hello AQ. In Vancouver when you require wheelchair assistance it's still from the same area, and you have to wait your turn as there are never enough wheelchairs. Fortunately for us, we are cruising from our home port so we take our own wheelchair, which save that part of hurry-up-and-wait. Sorry I don't know about 4* waiting areas - I'm not there yet.;)

When cruising out of anywhere but our home port, and especially in FLL, we always pre-order a wheelchair for pickup at the terminal, from Special Needs At Sea. The process is easy in FLL, pick up is just outside. Into the wheelchair goes DH, he pushes the wheeled carry-on, and away we go, being directed by the port staff, who are very good.

I think HAL runs into problems with wheelchairs when too many people show up to use them instead of completing the on-line form. Mum and I had wonderful service from HAL in 2015. I wish I could bring her walker as the rental cost does ass up. But the hassles, plus luggage plus keeping tabs on her is too much.

Edited by Sue from Canada

We brought our own "transport wheelchair". You get expedited security searches and customs processing with the staff entrances. This made boarding very easy for us. I think we were on board in 20 minutes!

Thoughts...

• the ramps can be a little steep depending on the tides.
  • getting on the outside to inside ship entrance can be tough with small wheels. That entranceway lip is tough.

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention something important: Mom does not require a wheelchair most of the time. We use one at the airport for getting to and fro to the gate, and one at the port to get to the ship. She can walk but often uses a cane when travelling. On our last two cruises, she pretty much used the cane constantly because it gave her extra stability/security. So, we have no plans to bring or rent a wheelchair. Merely to use a port/ship wheelchair to get through the terminal to the ship.

I get that they have only so many wheelchairs and the waiting time depends on how many people require assistance. Standing is difficult for Mom, too, so the wheelchair makes the "travelling" part easier for her. Once on the ship, the cane should be enough for her (for now, anyway).

We've not found Canada Place to be very helpful with getting wheelchair assistance for boarding. Our problems (more than once) have been getting a wheelchair from shoreside staff in the first place. We've found the shoreside staff in Vancouver to be at the bottom of shoreside staff we've encountered elsewhere in the world. Good luck.

Also, the Mariner 4* perk is for "priority check in", not priority embarkation. We once witnessed a 4* have a major meltdown over this. It was embarrassing. You do receive priority disembarkation though. Since you'll be embarking with a wheelchair anyway, that will be the deciding factor for your boarding, not Mariner status. There is a wheelchair waiting area for boarding. There is not a special area for 4/5* Mariners like there is for suites.

Vancouver offers a special area for suites? I know in San Diego they said "just sit near the front". Seattle usually has tables and chairs outside on the walkway to the ship for suite guests next to the gangway.

Well, I know Princess does have a seperate area for suite passengers in Vancouver, but I can't say for sure about HAL. I could well be mistaken about that. I know HAL did in Rome, but I can't remember if we even had to wait when we had a suite when sailing from Vancouver. We stay at the Pan Pacific so we may have just cooled our heels there. Much nicer than the cruise terminal. ;)

We've not found Canada Place to be very helpful with getting wheelchair assistance for boarding. Our problems (more than once) have been getting a wheelchair from shoreside staff in the first place. We've found the shoreside staff in Vancouver to be at the bottom of shoreside staff we've encountered elsewhere in the world. Good luck.

Also, the Mariner 4* perk is for "priority check in", not priority embarkation. We once witnessed a 4* have a major meltdown over this. It was embarrassing. You do receive priority disembarkation though. Since you'll be embarking with a wheelchair anyway, that will be the deciding factor for your boarding, not Mariner status. There is a wheelchair waiting area for boarding. There is not a special area for 4/5* Mariners like there is for suites.

I don't recall any special suite waiting area in Vancouver, but likely because although we had a NS, we also had a wheelchair, so were just directed to that waiting area. And even though I am a Vancouverite and usually very defensive about the most most beautiful city in the world - oh yes I do agree about the HAL shore staff there. How the heck some of them got the job I don't know.

Vancouver offers a special area for suites? I know in San Diego they said "just sit near the front". Seattle usually has tables and chairs outside on the walkway to the ship for suite guests next to the gangway.

No special area for Suites, Mariner status or wheel chairs/scooters. Everyone is directed to rows of chairs after check-in.

The only time I have seen wheel chairs/scooters in a slightly separated area is me because of my scent allergies. Once I explain to Shore side staff my allergies they place me about 15-20 feet from other passengers.

Joanie

Thanks everyone for posting their experiences. It sounds like, if Mom does decide to have wheelchair assistance for embarkation, it will be the same process that we have previously experienced; other than the other ships in port which should make a HUGE difference (at least, I hope so). We'll have the hotel transfer our luggage, as we did last time. and meander over to the terminal when we're ready. We may choose to go a little later than normal after the check in rush is past.