Gem-class (Ruby etc.), Riviera suites, and UBD?

peety3

We're looking to book a cruise on the Ruby and contemplating one of the Penthouse suites on the Riviera deck (R4xx range). We've become big fans of Ultimate Balcony Dining, as we enjoyed it on the Ruby last August sailing away from Skagway, though it got cold enough by dessert time that we went inside.

How protected are the Riviera Penthouse balcony areas? Could we enjoy UBD on a February sailing to Mexico on the way out of Mazatlan or on a sea day? Would we be better off planning it for the evening while the ship is docked in Puerto Vallarta?

We're looking to book a cruise on the Ruby and contemplating one of the Penthouse suites on the Riviera deck (R4xx range). We've become big fans of Ultimate Balcony Dining, as we enjoyed it on the Ruby last August sailing away from Skagway, though it got cold enough by dessert time that we went inside.

How protected are the Riviera Penthouse balcony areas? Could we enjoy UBD on a February sailing to Mexico on the way out of Mazatlan or on a sea day? Would we be better off planning it for the evening while the ship is docked in Puerto Vallarta?

These cabins are below Neptune's Reef pool which has an extended overhang. It is hot in Mexico in February, shorts and "T" weather. It is up to you if you want to be in port or at sea.

We started out booking a mini-suite, but when all was said and done we ended up in a suite on the Riviera Deck, R415. While the location was great for this cruise as there was very limited activity on the Lido Deck directly above because of the Fall Season, it would not be nearly as great on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise where the Lido activity would increase exponentially. Time of the year makes all the difference. I would recommend a Vista Suite anytime you cruise on the Caribbean Princess, with the exception of “Spring Break”.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=244801

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I think GEM class is on royal carribbean.

According to princess, their ship classes are:

Crown, Diamond, Grand, Coral, Sun, Royal and 'Small Ship'

Although I think 'Small Ship' is no longer current.

Small ship is certainly current...the Pacific Princess is still in the fleet, and I'd bet it'll stay for a while. That said, perhaps I should have said Crown class, to refer to the Grand+ ships that have an extra deck compared to Grand-class and Gem-class (which apparently is Diamond and Sapphire).

I think GEM class is on royal carribbean.

According to princess, their ship classes are:

Crown, Diamond, Grand, Coral, Sun, Royal and 'Small Ship'

Although I think 'Small Ship' is no longer current.

Small ship is certainly current...the Pacific Princess is still in the fleet, and I'd bet it'll stay for a while. That said, perhaps I should have said Crown class, to refer to the Grand+ ships that have an extra deck compared to Grand-class and Gem-class (which apparently is Diamond and Sapphire).
I have seen some posters refer to the Crown, Emerald and Ruby as Gem class ships but in reality, the Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Crown, Emerald and Ruby are just variations of the Grand and I would consider them all "Grand class" ships.