American gifts for Brits

However, there is a very, very strong connection between apples, apple pie, and America.

I don't doubt that you eat a lot of apple pie in America, quite probably more than we do in Britain. There are lots of ways of eating fruit pies. Have you seen Chaucer's recipe? But bringing apple pie to Britain as an American speciality would be as odd as if I were to bring a hamburger to America as a British speciality - even though we do eat a lot of hamburgers here.

I don't doubt that you eat a lot of apple pie in America, quite probably more than we do in Britain. There are lots of ways of eating fruit pies. Have you seen Chaucer's recipe? But bringing apple pie to Britain as an American speciality would be as odd as if I were to bring a hamburger to America as a British speciality - even though we do eat a lot of hamburgers here.

Except for the rank of the US in growing apples, my post had little to do with numbers. My post dealt with the role of the apple/pie in US social history. Settling the frontier and fighting WWII are a very big part of the American identity. Yet you talk about the hamburger in the UK only in terms of burgers eaten.

I promise that if I ever come to your house, I won't bring you an American apple pie. Beyond that, we'll agree to disagree. I've made all the points I choose to make on this topic.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If you can manage to find anything actually made in the USA, your friends will be very pleased! If appropriate, a locally crafted Christmas tree decoration wouldn't take up much room in your luggage and be appreciated for years to come. The key lime and orange patties, widely sold at Florida airports, are very nice, we don't have anything very similar here in the UK. American chocolate ( Hershey Kisses for instance) is best avoided, as not really to most British tastes.

The nicest gift we were brought, was a dream catcher made by Native Americans, quite unique and still treasured. And tucked easily into a suitcase.

Except for the rank of the US in growing apples, my post had little to do with numbers. My post dealt with the role of the apple/pie in US social history. Settling the frontier and fighting WWII are a very big part of the American identity. Yet you talk about the hamburger in the UK only in terms of burgers eaten.

I promise that if I ever come to your house, I won't bring you an American apple pie. Beyond that, we'll agree to disagree. I've made all the points I choose to make on this topic.

We're not disagreeing. In the USA, there is nothing more American than apple pie. Along with Uncle Sam and the Star Spangled Banner, it's the quintessential American symbol.

All I'm saying is that that's not true in Britain. Here's an alternative analagy. If I came to the USA and said I've brought something essentially British, and gave you a daffodil, would you be a bit taken aback?

We're not disagreeing. In the USA, there is nothing more American than apple pie. Along with Uncle Sam and the Star Spangled Banner, it's the quintessential American symbol.

All I'm saying is that that's not true in Britain. Here's an alternative analagy. If I came to the USA and said I've brought something essentially British, and gave you a daffodil, would you be a bit taken aback?

Not at all! I'd smile broadly, feel flattered that my guest had remembered my affection for the English Romantic School of poets, say "thank you" and begin reciting, "I wandered lonely as a cloud/That floats on high o'er vales and hills/When all at once I saw a crowd/A host of golden daffodils."

And in that vein, try looking at the first part of your answer. Since you clearly understand that Americans see apple pie as the quintessential American symbol, why not accept the pie as a a truly American gift --assuming it is the real deal. (Post #23 acknowledges the American pie is a different style.)

Not at all! I'd smile broadly, feel flattered that my guest had remembered my affection for the English Romantic School of poets, say "thank you" and begin reciting, "I wandered lonely as a cloud/That floats on high o'er vales and hills/When all at once I saw a crowd/A host of golden daffodils."

And in that vein, try looking at the first part of your answer. Since you clearly understand that Americans see apple pie as the quintessential American symbol, why not accept the pie as a a truly American gift --assuming it is the real deal. (Post #23 acknowledges the American pie is a different style.)

I was thinking more of the Welsh daffodil, but Wordsworth's would do just as well. And I'd certainly eat the pie (if not too squashed) - does it go well with custard?

I was thinking more of the Welsh daffodil, but Wordsworth's would do just as well. And I'd certainly eat the pie (if not too squashed) - does it go well with custard?

Apple pie certainly goes well with custard, but, then, it would no longer be American style. If American apple pie -- double crust pie and groaning with 4-5 pounds of apples thank you very much -- gets topped at all, it's going to be topped with vanilla ice cream, especially if the pie itself has been warmed. However, there is one notable exception.

In New England, particularly, but in any place where you encounter people whose family heritage goes straight back to England, the traditional way to serve apple pie is to top it with a slice of sharp, crumbly cheddar cheese. I didn't encounter this apple pie and cheese pairing until I went to graduate school in Cambridge, MA. I could appreciate the merits of the combination, but I was never converted.

There are other ways Americans eat apple pie, but those carry the name of a foreign country. Spread white icing on the top crust and the pie gets re-named "French Apple Pie." Omit the solid top crust and replace it with a cinnamon-crumb topping and we call the result "Dutch Apple Pie" although that is really Pennsylvania Dutch, a corruption of Deutsch.

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search for "Apple Pie with Custard Sauce." On the first page of Google hits the only exact match took me a the BBC recipe site. Otherwise, I got lots hits for Irish Apple Cake with Custard and Apple Crumble with Custard Sauce.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

<snip>

In New England, particularly, but in any place where you encounter people whose family heritage goes straight back to England, the traditional way to serve apple pie is to top it with a slice of sharp, crumbly cheddar cheese. I didn't encounter this apple pie and cheese pairing until I went to graduate school in Cambridge, MA. I could appreciate the merits of the combination, but I was never converted.

There are other ways Americans eat apple pie, but those carry the name of a foreign country. Spread white icing on the top crust and the pie gets re-named "French Apple Pie." Omit the solid top crust and replace it with a cinnamon-crumb topping and we call the result "Dutch Apple Pie" although that is really Pennsylvania Dutch, a corruption of Deutsch.

<snip>.

In Yorkshire it is traditional to eat apple pie with Wensleydale cheese (made in the Hawes dairy, Wensleydale, North Yorkshire). Wensleydale is a crumbly white cheese which is lovely on its own; with apple pie and with apple pie and Scotch Whisky - trust me it is gorgeous (even my DW - a New Yorker by birth likes apple pie this way).

In Yorkshire it is traditional to eat apple pie with Wensleydale cheese (made in the Hawes dairy, Wensleydale, North Yorkshire). Wensleydale is a crumbly white cheese which is lovely on its own; with apple pie and with apple pie and Scotch Whisky - trust me it is gorgeous (even my DW - a New Yorker by birth likes apple pie this way).

I will have to try it when in Yorkshire in 3 weeks. I can't imagine it not being just delicious.

On the other side of the Pennines in Lancashire we also enjoy apple pie with cheese (crumbly Lancashire cheese, of course!). My grandfather had an old saying: "Apple pie without some cheese is like a hug without a squeeze".

I would agree with the other poster who advised against chocolates. Apart from the practical difficulties of melting chocolate, most Brits seem less than impressed with Hershey's: too sweet and not 'chocolatey' enough for our tastes. Maple syrup is a good suggestion or napkins/ place mats.

Apple pie certainly goes well with custard, but, then, it would no longer be American style. If American apple pie -- double crust pie and groaning with 4-5 pounds of apples thank you very much -- gets topped at all, it's going to be topped with vanilla ice cream, especially if the pie itself has been warmed. However, there is one notable exception.

Mmmm. Yes please. Shall I provide my own ice cream, since it probably won't travel well? :)

My first thought was Tervis Tumblers w/ a Florida theme - maybe the mugs? You could stuff socks in them to "cut down" the space they'd take up in your luggage. They're practically indestructible and your friends would think of you every time they use them, plus - the Florida theme might encourage them to visit you.

Mention of socks by the last poster reminded me of another item we often bring home from the USA ! I can't remember the exact brand name, but I think it might be Bear Feet? It is a brand of sock, actually made in the USA, and they come in lots of lovely patterns often with an American theme. I have bought pairs in San Diego with humming birds, Yosemite souvenir pairs with pictures of bears and deer, and Alaskan designs in Skagway. They seem to be available all over the place, and also come in a range of sizes - everyone loved them and they wash and wear well.

Mention of socks by the last poster reminded me of another item we often bring home from the USA ! I can't remember the exact brand name, but I think it might be Bear Feet? It is a brand of sock, actually made in the USA, and they come in lots of lovely patterns often with an American theme. I have bought pairs in San Diego with humming birds, Yosemite souvenir pairs with pictures of bears and deer, and Alaskan designs in Skagway. They seem to be available all over the place, and also come in a range of sizes - everyone loved them and they wash and wear well.

I believe the name of the company is For Bare Feet

• 2 weeks later...