Inside Cabin ??

teach/2/cruise

We are going on an Alaska Cruise in Sept. on the Infinity. It has been our dream to go and now we are going. Yahoo!! We booked an inside cabin and being new to Celebrity Cruising, wondering how the cabins compare to other lines. I have sailed other lines and in different cabins. I feel the cost savings with an inside is worth it and can spend the difference elsewhere. I am always on deck and only slept in the cabin.

Any input on Celebrity Infinity inside cabins is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has photos of their inside cabin, I would love to see them. :)

The size and amenities in an inside cabin are okay. However, typically going to Alaska is a once in a lifetime cruise for many. I strongly suggest you book at least a window cabin. The view is spectacular and the inside cabin is a little weird as you do not know if it is day or night or exactly where you are.

In addition, watch the fares as they change from day to day and you might be able to upgrade to a balcony guarantee for much less then you think, sometimes equal to what you originally paid for an inside cabin. June third the rate for inside and oceanview are the same to alaska on the Millineum for example.

Because of the variables, we like the flexibilty of booking directly with Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Hmmmm. Inside cabins are great for sleeping as you can actually get them dark and are exactly the same in size. If you are a person that spends little time in your cabin then go for it.

also I always book directly with Celebrity and then transfer to a TA as that way you get all the perks (none on an inside usually) from Celebrity and some extra from your TA.

We took a Celebrity Cruise to Alaska a few years ago. We didn't think we would need a balcony so we booked an inside room. I really regretted it. It was freezing cold while we were there in July. I would of loved to been able to look out the balcony while going through the Fjords. We had to stay up on the deck and I have never been so cold in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Before I even opened this thread I knew where it would be going with the old "you really need a verandah" discussion.

As a person who has sailed Inside, Oceanview and Verandah I'd say that while a Verandah would be better, if your budget only allows an inside then do an inside.

We've done Alaska twice and felt that the best views were up on deck where you could take in a 360 view of the world around you. So, as long as you don't mind spending less time in your cabin, then go for the inside, enjoy the money you saved and enjoy Alaska. If you like it as much as I do then I'm sure you'll be back.

As far as Inside Cabins on the M Class ships I feel they are a decent size and the layout works well. I've been on inside cabins on other lines (Princess and NCL) and found it to be about the same size as Princess. Again, doesn't really matter as long as you have a place to rest your head and get cleaned up.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have been there twice :once in a verandah and once inside. We enjoyed the inside so much more. When we had the verandah, it was too cold to sit outside. So we would sit on the bed and look straight out. The range of vision is poor with the balcony dividers. You can only see straight. And because it doesn't get totally dark Lin Alaska , there is always some sort of light coming in. We liked sleeping in the total darkness in the inside.

It's almost impossible for me to believe but we are about to do our 58th cruise.....better than half of those were inside cabins, mostly on Celebrity and Princess. I agree with other posters that the size is the same for inside and ocean view and sometimes even balcony rooms are no bigger. We did inside cabins for same reason you are, more bang for,the buck. We have no regrets. Have seen much more of the world than we ever dreamed possible. Now we are doing some places we liked most a second or even third time and choose cabin depending on the port intensity of the cruise. Next week we are doing a TA and have a balcony because i love to read out there though I expect to be cold......I live in FL and get more heat than I'll ever need, lol. I only wish I had joined cruise critic sooner and found out how great the private tours which can be booked with other folks can be and soooo much less expensive than ship tours. Don't let people scare you that you won't get back to the ship on time, we bought into that philosophy for a while but found the tour companies VERY focused on getting us back on time with the added ability to move faster and see more. Have a wonderful cruise.

I'm in agreement with those who are comfortable with inside cabins. That's exactly where we started - inside, 35 cruises ago, 29 with Celebrity.

Since then we've tried OV, verandas and once got upgraded to a sky suite. The OV cabins on the M class ships have a nice little ledge right under a large port hole that is really nice for storing things. We've sort of settled on OVs as the best value for us because we like the perks - namely the beverage package. We actually have a spot we like on the M class ships which is just forward of the most forward elevator on deck 3. We are gym rats so this is perfect for us.

When we have had a Veranda it is usually too hot, too cold, too windy or too rainy to use them. Some love them. We find them nice but unnecessary. However, the current pricing schemes frequently put a Veranda just a small amount above an OV so, if the prices are similar or, there's an incentive in place to book these, we do it.

One thing I've noticed over the last few years, not from experience myself as the Sky Suite we got upgraded to happend before the emphasis on "the suite life," is that Celebrity has made a concerted effort to make suite class passengers, as well as Aqua and Concierge, feel a little more luxury. That's not to say I've felt any kind of snubbing for cruising in "3rd Class" as some have felt, quite the opposite; but from reading the experiences of passengers occupying these cabins on Cruise Critic, it's clear they feel somewhat more pampered or cared for. It's the Xtras. Private dining adds to the perception of exclusivity these cruisers seem to enjoy.

For a long time Celebrity Loyalist like myself that ALWAYS felt the Xtras and one of the reasons I kept coming back, those are not so obvious anymore. It's subtle but the cost cutting measures Celebrity is well known to have undertaken have made a difference outside of the private dining venues and Xtras that seem to be available to guests willing to pay more - a lot more - to get them. That's one of the reasons we are looking around and actually have cruises booked in an OV with Carnival in 2017, a line that in my opinion has really stepped up its game on their newer ships. We've enjoyed both Breeze and Sunshine, once with our grandkids on Breeze and look forward to our cruise on Carnival's newest ship, Vista next January.

Edited by jbuch02

As Alaskans -- we had a great time on our cruise from Whittier (Anchorage may be how it's listed) to Vancouver!! Because of the value at the time - we selected an inside cabin & never regretted it. The best place to watch the glaciers is from the top deck hot tub - with a cocktail in your hand. We were never cold & met a fabulous couple from Michigan - who spent much of the time in the hot tub with us :)

The funniest thing we used to hear was WOW... even the Alaskans are impressed... I just have to say - who wouldn't be impressed on this cruise!!

On a separate note - we did the balcony for the Panama Cruise & it was fabulous too!! Relaxing on the balcony was great - but we also spent much time up top. Ultimately - choose the cabin which works for you and enjoy yourselves.

Thank you for all of the input. One of the concerns/questions was that suite class passengers, as well as Aqua and Concierge, feel a little more luxury and was worried that we would feel snubbing for cruising in "3rd Class" Inside cabin. But Thank you Buch02 for reassuring me it usually does not happen. My money is as good as anyones and we work hard to earn and save for these trips.

Thanks everyone and Have a great day