Just off The Escape

2hearted

I think your review is fair. Everyone has different perspectives, and just because your perspective didn't match others I don't see why that warrants a "you must be hard to please".

I love both Getaway and Escape, but I agree with you that these ships don't have the "WOW" factor that other cruiselines do. I've only been on one bigger RCCL ship, but I remember thinking that the Royal Promenade was amazing and really did make me say "wow" the first time I saw it. I can't even imagine what I would think of Allure and Oasis. Even when I was on Carnival Conquest, which was then one of Carnival's newest ships, I remember being wowed by the ten story atrium and the impressive dining rooms and public spaces.

When we were on Escape, we were docked in St. Thomas next to the Carnival Valor, a sister ship of Conquest. I couldn't believe how tiny it looked next to Escape. Would never have thought it. When we were on Conquest we thought that ship was enormous.

Don't get me wrong, I would take another cruise on Escape or Getaway in a heartbeat, but I fully agree with you that there aren't really any features that blew me away and made me think "I can't believe I'm on a cruise ship". I was impressed with the two story ropes course but from what I heard about Allure/Oasis, those ships are truly breathtaking. I can only imagine that Harmony and Anthem are even better.

Oh, you might be upset if you were trying for Vibe passes. That's ridiculous and if I had been in your position, and found out groups through 17 were allowed on before me in group 4, I would have lost my mind...because of the Vibe pass situation which I wish they would just change already.

I've never dealt with two terminals. So, you go to the one assigned I assume; and it shows on boarding pass documents?

It's different that "arrival time" which, like other lines, is just a suggestion.

If I had never gone on the Allure or Oasis, I'm sure The Escape would have blown me away, which I'm sure it will and has done for some people.

I looked at Allure/Oasis before deciding on Escape. I'll admit that it was the UBP that actually sold me :-), but while I was waiting to be sold by the concept of free flowing liquor I compared the Royal Promenade to Spice/Waterfront. I felt like I would be more connected to the ocean on Escape. So, for those of you who have sailed both, if I want oceanfront dining, relaxing and drinking - how do the ships compare? I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! Just seems to be a comparison developing in the discussion.

I've never dealt with two terminals. So, you go to the one assigned I assume; and it shows on boarding pass documents?

It's different that "arrival time" which, like other lines, is just a suggestion.

I haven't either, nor have I dealt with boarding groups like I'm on an airplane. HA! But from what I've been told, it's pretty much an even odd thing. Even number cabins to A, odd to B or vice versa.

I agree with this...the pool deck was probably the worst of any cruise I've been on.

It's really bad, but Getaway/Breakaway are even worse. They tried to improve it a bit with this one, but it still sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The activities in the Atrium- game show type things- were great and very entertaining, but they had to bring out lots of folding chairs to accommodate the number of people and even with those chairs, there were many people standing to watch. They need to move some of those activities to the main theater which would also clear out the Atrium a bit.

I agree it's a small issue, but the main theater is usually being used for rehearsals, considering that NCL has Broadway-caliber shows. (Other than the intermittent Vocal Overdrive, obviously)

Yes, Oasis and Allure. However, the Carnival Breeze and Liberty of the Seas also had a little wow factor.

I'm not sure if you or others on here are talking about overall "wow factor" or first impressions upon arrival, but I pass the Breeze and the Escape every weekend while they are here in port, and the Escape definitely takes the cake. I've passed it while it's leaving, and it still amazes me with it's size...and the artwork is gorgeous. The Breeze looks like any other Carnival ship...and I'm not a fan of the overly bright colors and tropical decorations up on the pool decks. I heard they toned it down with Vista (new designer), so I'm looking forward to trying that out. I guess I don't need a grand entrance into a tall atrium anymore to impress me :rolleyes:

I compared the Royal Promenade to Spice/Waterfront. I felt like I would be more connected to the ocean on Escape. So, for those of you who have sailed both, if I want oceanfront dining, relaxing and drinking - how do the ships compare? I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! Just seems to be a comparison developing in the discussion.

I have to say...I think the Waterfront on these ships is simply amazing. It feels so nice to be so close to the ocean; it's a great place to hang out and soak it all in, especially walking around the aft.

I do really want to try the Allure/Oasis, as I see them sail in and out of Port Everglades all the time, and the sheer size draws me in. I've just heard that despite the "open promenade" concept, they feel more like a big mall than a cruise ship. I don't think an open promenade in the center of the ship flanked by rooms on both sides sounds as nice as the Waterfront, even with the open-aft design of the ships. I haven't sailed RCCL yet, but maybe when they become a little more reasonable with their prices or throw in a UBP perk (can't beat that on NCL at the moment), I'll bite the bullet and sail one of their mega ships. ;)

I looked at Allure/Oasis before deciding on Escape. I'll admit that it was the UBP that actually sold me :-), but while I was waiting to be sold by the concept of free flowing liquor I compared the Royal Promenade to Spice/Waterfront. I felt like I would be more connected to the ocean on Escape. So, for those of you who have sailed both, if I want oceanfront dining, relaxing and drinking - how do the ships compare? I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! Just seems to be a comparison developing in the discussion.

I have to admit, the Waterfront on the Escape is nice a nice concept, but to me I still preferred the Allure. The Royal Promenade was great because there was always stuff going on there like parades and parties. Even just grabbing a drink and people watching was interesting. The escape didn't really have any open spaces like that. As for the shows, while the Million Dollar Quartet was probably the best show I've seen on any cruise, there were just way more options on the Allure and all were good to very good. Lastly, if you enjoy relaxing out on the pool deck with a drink or maybe going for a swim, there is no comparison, the Allure hands down. Now with all that being said, the Escape was still a nice cruise, and I probably would have enjoyed it even more if my wife and I went without the kids, especially with the UBP :D