Question about August 2017 Canada/New England Itineraries

JenP

I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean but I want to do a Canada/New England cruise in August 2017, and the itinerary on HAL is the only decent one I found. (Royal's isn't posted yet, but if it is anything like 2016, I am not interested at all due to the number of sea days and the inclusion of only two Canadian ports).

I noted that both the Veendam and Maasdam are doing the exact same 7 day itinerary in August (Boston to Montreal or vice versa), and are offered at the same price in the ocean view category. Is there any particular reason two ships are doing the exact same itinerary? Is this a yearly thing? If you had to choose one of those two ships, which would you choose?

My husband and I don't fit the HAL demographic age wise, but we do not party or anything like that, so I think we'll be ok for a week. I'm doing this cruise for the ports, but if anyone has input on the two ship choices, it would be appreciated.

If 2017 is similar to 2015, the two ships are on alternating bi-weekly cruises. We were on the Veendam last year and it's itinerary did not go to Montreal but stayed in Quebec City for three days/two nights. It allowed a "hotel" night for the disembarking and embarking cruise passengers in that beautiful city.

The Veendam was reconfigured a few years ago and added additional cabins. The downside was the aft pool was replaced.This is more important on a warm weather cruise than the Canada NE cruise, and someone that uses a pool. The Maasdam remains as built.

We have done the Canada/New England cruise on the Maasdam -- several different itineraries.

Maasdam does go to Montreal where the Veendam doesn't.

You might be interested in this report -- it may have an impact on your thinking about a ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2342791

For 2017 the Veendam is also going to Montreal. The Veendam and Maasdam are doing identical itineraries.

OP, I chose Veendam. I've been on that ship before and loved it. We are not swimmers so we don't miss the pool that was removed a few years back. There is still one pool for those who use it. We are going July 2017 Boston to Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have done a Canada cruise on both the Veendam and the Maasdam. I liked both ships and think that they are similiar enough so you can select the itinerary and cruise date you like rather than trying to decide which ship is better. Both have a covered main lido pool which is nice in Canada if it's raining or cool. Also we saw more families with children (not over run) since it was summer. I agree that Holland has the best Canada /New England itineraries.

There is a 10 day HAL New England cruise leaving from Boston on 8/24/16 to consider.

I'd absolutely love a 10-day cruise, but I am looking for 2017 and didn't see any listed for August 2017. The 14-day ones look cool too, but unfortunately, the lower priced cabins are all sold out and we find the suites etc. to be out of our price range.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the ships/schedule, everyone. I still have some thinking to do. The pool situation doesn't matter to me. I've never used them on any cruise.

Does the entertainment differ at all between the two ships? By entertainment, I mean the evening shows. We always like ending our day with one.

Edited by JenP

If sailing date and direction were not a strong consideration, I would pick the Maasdam over the Veendam.

The Maasdam has fewer Lanai cabins, leaving more loungers for public use on Lower Promenade Deck. That's a lovely place to sit and watch the scenery go by on you one "sea" day.

The Maasdam also has a nice aft area on Lido Deck. You can sit out there and enjoy the view, including while eating breakfast or lunch. The Veendam renovation that added hot tubs raised up left a blocked view of the scenery.

Other than those two major differences, the two ships are very similar. I just find the Maasdam has a much more polished feel to it.

• 9 months later...

We did Boston to Montreal October 1 last year and had a blast. The HAL crowd is a little bit old for me too even though I'm about to hit 60. However the ports were great and we were able to hike or bicycle in every port. Be sure to make arrangements before hand for bicycled in August since there will be more tourists. In October we didn't have any problem overall but could have run into problems in Charlottetown, PE if we'd gotten off the boat later on. It's a great cruise for people who don't like to be on the ship all the time.

I would absolutely book a northbound cruise that finishes in Montreal. Sailing into Montreal and seeing sunrise through Habitat 67 is one of my all-time favorite experiences. It's breathtakingly gorgeous -- though you do have to wake up and be out on deck/close to a window early on the last day of the cruise.

Otherwise, it's much of a muchness to me whether to start in Montreal or Quebec. Both cities offer so much to see and do before the cruise that if possible I would book a few days before the cruise to spend exploring the starting city. If it's not possible, I'd book a Northbound cruise to finish in Montreal.

The itinerary is far more important to me than the ship doing the itinerary, especially since I prefer to book ocean view cabins as low down and as far forward as possible. Itinerary is most important. I do have a soft spot for the Maasdam and the pre-renovation Veendam as my first cruises were on them, and I love the swizzle stick artwork in the atria. I hope when they sell those ships HAL keeps those swizzle sticks for other ships.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Enjoy your cruise. It's a great experience and a fantastic itinerary.

• 7 months later...
I Wish they would go somewere besides Sidney and Charottetown. Once you have been there a couple of times nothing to do.

Those little walkable towns are some of my favorite stops. Sure I've been there before, but that means you get to have "favorite" spots to go. I think it's fun to stop at the towns again and again, like visiting an old friend. And after all the times I've been to those stops, I see something new each time, even I'm just walking from the port to get some TimBits.