Carnival excursions vs going it alone.

Axxill

When I am researching excursions, it is very apparent that booking outside of Carnival is a HUGE savings. But, as others have said, no guarantee if you are late that the ship won't leave without you. In fact, I have read many reviews about when that indeed happened.

Could you post a link to some of those? I would like to read them. (3 or 4 should be good)

:eek: Our previous rule of thumb was, if the excursion is 45 minutes plus, from the port. Do it through Carnival. Especially Jamaica. Now, not an issue as I have not found any excursion worth all the travel time.

So if you come into Falmouth going to Dunn River Falls or the Blue Hole (1 hour away) is not worth it? Maybe that is your opinion but I disagree.

So, we stick closer to port. Caymans we have had good luck with taking a taxi, just not that far. Some things are just too much travel time and very little excursion time to bother with.

Why not just stay at home? It takes you 2+ days of travel by ship to get to Jamaica from the U.S. and you are concerned about an extra 45 minutes of travel??? LOL

The Xplore available from Cozumal, we did from an A.I. and it was wonderful!! From the ship there is so little time you can barely fit 1/8 of the things to do in the time frame. Again, mostly travel.

You make it sound like you are in port for 2 hours or something. You can do plenty in 7-10 hours.

Personally I would not feel comfortable taking any excursion from Jamaica outside of Carnival. Our next cruise will be our 3rd visit and we plan on staying on the ship.

"YOU" wouldn't feel comfortable. That is the key take away from this one.

Personally, I think your entire reply is neither accurate or helpful.

Just more inaccurate Jamaica fear mongering :(

Go to where the taxi drivers wait for fares and ask for Empress Grace. As she told us "everybody knows her". She'll take you to the Falls and come back and get you at a set time. If you finish earlier than that time just ask someone to call her and they will. She also took us to a market and went inside the stores with us so we would get good deals. She was awesome! She's the only taxi driver from a port where I have her business card. She'll make sure you get back to the ship in plenty of time.

Edited by LadyDAC
Spelling error

We have had no problems booking independent excursions and much prefer them to the Carnival-sponsored ones. You haven't stated which port you will be at; keep in mind that Montego Bay and Falmouth are quite a drive from Dunn's River Falls.

That said, and since you asked for opinions;), I fully recommend Errol Bowen of Travel Jamaica Tours www dot traveljamaicatours dot com . He is based out of Ocho Rios but drove to Montego Bay to pick up 6 of us (myself and husband and a family of 4 I met here on CC) in his clean van. He entertained us some during the drive with stories and local knowledge and even offered to stop at whatever store we wanted. We didn't go to Dunn's River; instead we chose Blue Hole, where Errol had his nephew and a friend as our guides while Errol stayed with the van. Unless your friends are dead-set on Dunn's River, go to Blue Hole. Period. Don't question, just go. It is beautiful, amazing, fun, not crowded, just great:D. When someone from another group lost their GoPro, Errol's nephew even went diving and found it just because they are so nice. Afterwards, the family we were with wanted to go tubing. Errol dropped them off, then drove me and my husband around to show us different areas before heading to the tubing pickup place. We then went to eat at Scotchie's (sp.) where Errol got us settled with a table and waitress before meeting up with some of his family. (I swear, this guy knew everybody!) Then we drove back to the ship with plenty of time to look around and do some shopping before getting back on the ship - early.

As you can tell, we were very impressed by Errol. If he wasn't personally taking care of us, he hand-picked other guides for our activities while he took care of our belongings we chose to leave in his van.

Also, independent excursion operators rely on recommendations and word of mouth for their business and livelihood. They know the ship schedules, time changes, travel times, etc. better than anyone because it's in their best interests to have happy customers. I have also never had an independent operator who didn't know the best way to work around the cattle-call of large ship-sponsored excursions. Of course, I do a lot of research ahead of time so I can choose the better independent guys.

I hope this helps y'all decide. Also, try the ports of call boards and Trip Advisor for other reviews.

Keep this in mind, if you'd like.

ALL independent suppliers have ZERO relationship with cruiselines.

The only thing about that statement is that it is totally wrong.

Do you think the cruise lines are running these excursions themselves? They may not be using one particular operator at the present but may have used them in the past (or may in the future)

Other than a quick number of bucks from money-savers that will likely

not return any time soon to their business (in a foreign country), there is

much less of a motivation to get it done right.

Batting .000 here. The motivation for independent tour operators to get things right is very high thanks to sites like Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor, etc. where people review them regularly.

Keep this in mind, if you'd like.

ALL independent suppliers have ZERO relationship with cruiselines. In other words, complaints/problems with them will fall on 100% deaf ears.

Other than a quick number of bucks from money-savers that will likely

not return any time soon to their business (in a foreign country), there is

much less of a motivation to get it done right.

Some will, some won't. Up to you as to whether or not it's worth taking

such a risk in order to reduce excursion fees. Considering our total

vacation costs, we're not encouraged to go independent ourselves.

While I agree that independent vendors have no relationship with Carnival, their livelihood depends on referrals and reputation.

Every independent tour I have ever taken (which means all my tours since I have never done a Carnival tour) was on target. Never had any issue with poor performance and I will disagree with you that you are taking a risk. Reading the reviews of Carnival excursions exposes many unsatisfied people.

The motivation of independent tour operators is tomorrow's business.

And since it appears you have never done any independent tours, I am wondering what you are basing your opinion on (besides just surmising).

Edited by lizardhowson

Could you post a link to some of those? I would like to read them. (3 or 4 should be good)

So if you come into Falmouth going to Dunn River Falls or the Blue Hole (1 hour away) is not worth it? Maybe that is your opinion but I disagree.

Why not just stay at home? It takes you 2+ days of travel by ship to get to Jamaica from the U.S. and you are concerned about an extra 45 minutes of travel??? LOL

You make it sound like you are in port for 2 hours or something. You can do plenty in 7-10 hours.

"YOU" wouldn't feel comfortable. That is the key take away from this one.

Personally, I think your entire reply is neither accurate or helpful.

Just more inaccurate Jamaica fear mongering :(

Night One - I don't feel your opinions were necessarily any more valid those of cruselover55's although you seemed to devalue theirs on every point. This is an open forum and everyone is entitled to voicing their opinion whether or not it is the same as yours.

We've also had some interesting/unwelcome encounters in Jamaica on our 2 times stopping there. In Montego Bay the drivers and tour guides from the ship excursions basically "stood guard" along the Hip Strip to keep cruise ship customers from being harassed by insistent "trinket sellers". A fellow traveler got off the van to use an ATM and was accosted by a hooker he couldn't get rid of without the help of the tour guide.

In Falmouth one only has to look beyond fencing of the port area to see it's not safe to take off alone. We were told as much by the ship's staff.

Based on those personal experiences I wouldn't avoid Jamaica but I would only leave the port area on a ship excursion. It's my prerogative to feel that way ... just as it's yours to line any type of tour you prefer.

Night One - I don't feel your opinions were necessarily any more valid those of cruselover55's although you seemed to devalue theirs on every point. This is an open forum and everyone is entitled to voicing their opinion whether or not it is the same as yours.

We've also had some interesting/unwelcome encounters in Jamaica on our 2 times stopping there. In Montego Bay the drivers and tour guides from the ship excursions basically "stood guard" along the Hip Strip to keep cruise ship customers from being harassed by insistent "trinket sellers". A fellow traveler got off the van to use an ATM and was accosted by a hooker he couldn't get rid of without the help of the tour guide.

In Falmouth one only has to look beyond fencing of the port area to see it's not safe to take off alone. We were told as much by the ship's staff.

Based on those personal experiences I wouldn't avoid Jamaica but I would only leave the port area on a ship excursion. It's my prerogative to feel that way ... just as it's yours to line any type of tour you prefer.

Shoot, I've been "accosted" by trinket sellers in each and every cruise port and destination. Carnival or non-Carnival excursion, everyone from every cruise ship gets this if they get off ship and leave secured port area.

And I've been approached by hookers more than a few times also, mostly in US and when I was accompanied by my wife and another couple. Certainly not related to being on a Carnival or non-Carnival excursion or no excursion at all.

Edited by lizardhowson

Sure. I have no problem with someone having an opinion.

However, when they try to state that opinion as a fact then I have a problem. I politely asked cruselover55 to post some links to those on independent shore excursions that missed the ship because they stated that "I have read many reviews about when that indeed happened" and I believe this simply is not true. But they stated it as a fact. (which I believe it is not) If they find one, I will be surprised. However, as usual the people who say this kind of thing will never reply with any links.

We've also had some interesting/unwelcome encounters in Jamaica on our 2 times stopping there. In Montego Bay the drivers and tour guides from the ship excursions basically "stood guard" along the Hip Strip to keep cruise ship customers from being harassed by insistent "trinket sellers".

You are going to want to avoid San Francisco.

A fellow traveler got off the van to use an ATM and was accosted by a hooker he couldn't get rid of without the help of the tour guide.

You'll probably want to avoid Las Vegas too.

Add Detroit and Cleveland to your list too.

Yes, it is your prerogative to post Jamaica fear mongering just as it is mine to point it out. :)

BTW, everyone on the Carolina Coast is a jackbooted thug who will try to rip you off! Just my opinion of course. :D

Shoot, I've been "accosted" by trinket sellers in each and every cruise port and destination. Carnival or non-Carnival excursion, everyone from every cruise ship gets this if they get off ship and leave secured port area.

And I've been approached by hookers more than a few times also, mostly in US and when I was accompanied by my wife and another couple. Certainly not related to being on a Carnival or non-Carnival excursion.

If you watch CNN or Fox News for any length of time it won't be long before you will be "accosted" by people trying to sell you over-priced BS gold coins. :)

Well in between the 50 zillion auto insurance sales pitches

To me it is no different than street sellers trying to peddle their wares

Sure. I have no problem with someone having an opinion.

Yes, it is your prerogative to post Jamaica fear mongering just as it is mine to point it out. :)

BTW, everyone on the Carolina Coast is a jackbooted thug who will try to rip you off! Just my opinion of course. :D

Ahhh yes ... it's plain to see - we may ALL have an opinion ... as long as it agrees with yours. Otherwise it's just a case of fear mongering. Got it ...(making notes to not monger:D )

We have taken two Carnival excursions, both unique day-long trips with multiple stops that we could not duplicate on our own. Typically, if we are going to a single destination, we take the public bus or a cab. If we want a tour or multiple stops, we can usually find a private company that gives us exactly what we want for less money and a more personal touch. We only use companies with a good history of positive ratings on multiple websites.

In the case of Jamaica, we went with Peat Taylor rather than Carnival for Dunn's River Falls + horseback riding. It was cheaper, we loved our guides, and they didn't care that our daughter was a few weeks under Carnival's minimum age limit. At Dunn's River, we simply walked quickly past the trinket sellers without making eye contact, while some young men in our group made the mistake of stopping and trying things on. :rolleyes: Some people are not comfortable in these situations, but experienced travelers should be fine.

Try Peat Taylor's tours you won't be disappointed.

Completely agree with this.

Last time we were in Jamaica we did DRF and Blue hole. We had a van for the four of us and got back about 45 minutes prior to when we had to board the ship.

Independent tour operators may be a bit more risky if you're worried about missing the ship, but that's how these folks make a living. They're not going to risk having parties miss the ship as all it would take is a few reviews of that happening and they would be out of business.

We were just in Ocho Rios on the Breeze. At the end of the pier was a Margaritaville which was very nice. Lifeguard on duty, free use of chaises as long as you ordered drinks. They had the tube ride pulled behind a fast boat that my brother-in-law did. They kept coming back around offering reduced prices after the 1st ride. Was not planning on getting off the ship due to past experience in Jamaica. Glad we did.

Edited by BB Huey

Our personal rule is that if the tour goes far enough out into the country to where there'd be no hope of catching a bus or taxi to get back if our tour transportation broke down - we book with the ship. Otherwise we book independent.

The money we'd save on the private "far out" tours isn't worth it to us with the worry of possibly missing the ship if there's a problem.

Disclaimer ... we're retired and not quite as adventurous as we once were :D:D

You definitely said what I was trying to convey better than I did. Hence, my post being picked apart and trivialized.:) We also are in the age group that is not quite as adventurous as we used to be. The, not knowing any better risks, we took in the '70's living in such places as Tehran, Iran, or even just in Houston, I shudder now. My mind frame then was, oh, well, the worst that can happen is I will get killed. Now, I think, yikes, I might get killed!:D

A few friends in our group are thinking of saving some money by trying to do dunns river falls in Ochoa rios on their own. Does anyone know the cost of the falls. And what taxi rides would be to and from the falls from the dock?

Also. Are their any benefits or hazards to this

Hello!

My last 4 cruises I've always gone with booking excursions through the cruise line. This year me and my sisters took the Carnival Splendor, we just got back on Sunday, and my sister booked all excursions through an outside vendor. The same exact packages as the cruise line, we just had a different meeting spot outside of the port.

As for Jamaica, on our way to the airport while in a shuttle, we spoke with cruisers from other cruise lines who went to Jamaica last week. They said they will never go to Jamaica again. One woman travelled with her teenaged granddaughter and as soon as they stepped off the pier and onto the street, they were surrounded by men telling them they will give them free rides, offered the young girl a job, were saying vulgar things to the young girl. The grandmother (who only looked about 50, she was hot stuff herself!) grabbed her granddaughter and they "Fled" (her words) back to the ship.

The shuttle driver (I think also the owner of the shuttle company) stated that Jamaica is a big place for sex traffickers and that it's not reported in the news but there have been young girls offered free taxi rides when they leave port and they're never seen again.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Jamaica with a ten foot pole. While I work with many Jamaicans and they are wonderful people, I remember the time when going there was dangerous to foreigners.

I also recall the huge commercial promotion exclaiming with song, "Come Back To Jamaica" because in the 70's and 80's Jamaica was so violent and full of crime. There was also a bunch Venus or Ujena Swimwear models who did a photo shoot in Jamaica back in the late "80's, after the whole "Come Back To Jamaica" promotion. The bus with all the models was hijacked by guerrillas and they were held hostage, shot.

No amount of money will get me to Jamaica.

I do wish you well and hope you have a safe trip :)

You definitely said what I was trying to convey better than I did. Hence, my post being picked apart and trivialized.:) We also are in the age group that is not quite as adventurous as we used to be. The, not knowing any better risks, we took in the '70's living in such places as Tehran, Iran, or even just in Houston, I shudder now. My mind frame then was, oh, well, the worst that can happen is I will get killed. Now, I think, yikes, I might get killed!:D

I understand what you're saying.:D:D

No amount of money will get me to Jamaica.

I don't think anyone is offering.

My cousin's boyfriend's neighbor's dog sitter went to Jamaica one time and they said ...

Are you freaking kidding me? You didn't even GO TO Jamaica on your cruise and you are going to tell us a bunch of 2nd hand information you heard from someone at the airport.

Oh, and someone at the airport told ME the exact opposite of what you just said.

i fully understand those who feel much safer using cruise line excursions... Nothing wrong with that... However....

That being said, One thing to keep in mind, truth is, the cruise line sponsored excursions only get pennies on the dollar per excursion... This is why they have to pack more people on the excursion to make the same profit as they do with a private one... The benefit for the operators is volume... Quantity over quality. Plus the cruise line stipulates that they NOT offer private excursions and not sell to cruise line passengers... Unless booked through the cruise line. This is all information based on my family who are tour operators in the islands.

For example, the operators booked through the cruise line for stingray city at GC.. The private non sponsored tours are $39 and $45 (rays and the reef 2 stop)... The CCL same trip is $69 pp. now, the vendor who operates the tour for Cruise lines only gets from $12-20 pp (depending on their contract) but the cruise lines guarantee a minimum of x amount... So they run full to the max each trip as it takes 2 people to match the same profit margins.. But the vendor has more volume security. So in many cases (not all), private tours offer a much better experience for the consumer and inject much more money into the local economy... And operators and guides have found that private tour guests tip better... And the private operators they have MORE incentive to offer a better, cheaper experience and get folks back on time as it would only take a few bad reviews or issues to sink their business (the cruise line booked excursions has built in-guaranteed clients regardless of performance). So for,those who say the private ones are less inclined to do better, that is totally inaccurate, as the reality is, it is opposite...

The trade off is of course using private booked is that the cruise line assumes no responsibility (however, you might be shocked to see how little responsibility they actually take for sponsored tours so read your cruise and excursion contract carefully) but for many, this piece of mind is an important factor in their enjoyment in which case I say go for it, it's your vacation and your dollar so you do what is best for you. Some also like the door to door organization and escorts which again, is perfectly ok, that is why the cruise line offers it...

All that being said...regardless, DO YOUR HOMEWORK! TA, cruise critic and other sites are a GREAT source of info,and reviews. Jamaica is one port I would not just "grab a taxi" at, however, I have taken Marvyns tours several times and had amazing experiences. But now I just chill on a half empty ship on Ocho days!! Jamaica has more security issues than many of the islands (I lump Nassau into that category too).

I don't think anyone is offering.

My cousin's boyfriend's neighbor's dog sitter went to Jamaica one time and they said ...

Are you freaking kidding me? You didn't even GO TO Jamaica on your cruise and you are going to tell us a bunch of 2nd hand information you heard from someone at the airport.

Oh, and someone at the airport told ME the exact opposite of what you just said.

Whatever :D

If I hear the same story from loads of different people, I'm going to trust their opinion. I am born and raised in The Bronx and do not typically scare easily. However, stories of Jamaica do scare me. The person asked for opinions and I gave mine :)

Have a nice day!:)

We've done both Carnival and private excursions..I love CozumelcruiseexcursionsDOTnet...had nothing but great luck with them both times. They are awesome. We've done Stingray City in GC with Carnival and privately..I liked them both. Love Marineland tours that Carnival uses there. Did more Carnival tours than private but I go with my gut and the reviews. Had great luck all the way around. Just remember if it's private..a credit card and passport in your backpack just in case;)

Bring a credit card and ID even on cruise line booked excursions... If something happens, Hospitals in the islands will not even SEE or treat you without one or a bunch of $$$$ up front!

Edited by poz222
Sub excursion for cruise

i fully understand those who feel much safer using cruise line excursions... Nothing wrong with that... However....

That being said, One thing to keep in mind, truth is, the cruise line sponsored excursions only get pennies on the dollar per excursion... This is why they have to pack more people on the excursion to make the same profit as they do with a private one... The benefit for the operators is volume... Quantity over quality. Plus the cruise line stipulates that they NOT offer private excursions and not sell to cruise line passengers... Unless booked through the cruise line. This is all information based on my family who are tour operators in the islands.

For example, the operators booked through the cruise line for stingray city at GC.. The private non sponsored tours are $39 and $45 (rays and the reef 2 stop)... The CCL same trip is $69 pp. now, the vendor who operates the tour for Cruise lines only gets from $12-20 pp (depending on their contract) but the cruise lines guarantee a minimum of x amount... So they run full to the max each trip as it takes 2 people to match the same profit margins.. But the vendor has more volume security. So in many cases (not all), private tours offer a much better experience for the consumer and inject much more money into the local economy... And operators and guides have found that private tour guests tip better... And the private operators they have MORE incentive to offer a better, cheaper experience and get folks back on time as it would only take a few bad reviews or issues to sink their business (the cruise line booked excursions has built in-guaranteed clients regardless of performance). So for,those who say the private ones are less inclined to do better, that is totally inaccurate, as the reality is, it is opposite...

The trade off is of course using private booked is that the cruise line assumes no responsibility (however, you might be shocked to see how little responsibility they actually take for sponsored tours so read your cruise and excursion contract carefully) but for many, this piece of mind is an important factor in their enjoyment in which case I say go for it, it's your vacation and your dollar so you do what is best for you. Some also like the door to door organization and escorts which again, is perfectly ok, that is why the cruise line offers it...

All that being said...regardless, DO YOUR HOMEWORK! TA, cruise critic and other sites are a GREAT source of info,and reviews. Jamaica is one port I would not just "grab a taxi" at, however, I have taken Marvyns tours several times and had amazing experiences. But now I just chill on a half empty ship on Ocho days!! Jamaica has more security issues than many of the islands (I lump Nassau into that category too).

agree with you 100% excellent post

We have used outside vendors before and never had a problem. We tend to find them cheaper and much better overall in terms of value. Just make sure you are scheduled back well before departure time and that you are certain of ship's time vs. local time. But like everyone has mentioned, being left behind is really a very, very serious concern especially if you are on medication! You could literally be risking your life. Consequently, we almost always go through Carnival if possible. If not, make darn sure you are carrying your passport, identification and credit cards when you set foot on foreign soil!

If not, make darn sure you are carrying your passport, identification and credit cards when you set foot on foreign soil!

Good luck with that one :eek:

So many posters here are afraid to bring their passport off the ship - keep it locked in the safe.

Every passport thread here turns into a battle.

For the life of me, I have never understood being afraid to carry a passport. :)

Edited by lizardhowson