Thank goodness X doesn't....

Danno

Thanks Eric

I never read the other boards...my interest is here.

Interesting...I'm pounched on for being grateful X doesn't have a lot of, pax who are hard on staff, those who get too drunk and take over beaches, announcements that invade my cabin to advertise cruise line revenue generators (bingo)...

I guess if it's easier for you to support abusive passengers, loud rude drunks, invasive advertising...then that's your right...I'm still glad I don't see it often on X. I hope you find a line that has many people who fit these descriptions...have fun.

Thanks Eric

Interesting...I'm pounched on for being grateful X doesn't have a lot of, pax who are hard on staff, those who get too drunk and take over beaches, announcements that invade my cabin to advertise cruise line revenue generators (bingo)...

I guess if it's easier for you to support abusive passengers, loud rude drunks, invasive advertising...then that's your right...I'm still glad I don't see it often on X. I hope you find a line that has many people who fit these descriptions...have fun.

You don't quite get it, or are choosing not to. The point was that perhaps you could laud the cirtues of Celebrity without trashing...oh, never mind. You won't get it anyway. It's not the point you're trying to make. It's the way you consistenly choose to do it.

Thanks Eric

Dan, I don't think anyone was saying that they support abusive pax. the point was that you find these sorts on all cruise lines, Celebrity is in no way immune to that sort of behavior.

I do, however, support your views , on the intrusive cabin anouncements.:)

Phil

Gonna weigh in here because I tend to agree with Danno alot and occasionally disagree with him. But I think we are painting with much too broad a brush here. I have been on a good number of Celebrity cruises as well as a half dozen or so on both Carnival and NCL as well as several on Princess and Costa.

Honestly, there are differences on these lines but they are often much more subtle than you may believe. No one line is absolutely anything. Examples? We were kept awake two nights in a row by loud, obnoxious drunks at 3 AM on a cruise ship. The ship? Celebrity Horizon. The most boring cruise we have EVER been on? The oldest, most sedate crowd? Carnival Holiday, 12 day Mexican Riveria during school time. Some of the best food ever on a cruise line? Costa Fortuna.

There are no absolutes. And, most importantly, we've never had a bad cruise in our 20 or so trips, no matter what the line. Some we have liked more than others and we definitely like some things about other lines more than others (e.g. the service on Celebrity) but nothing that would keep us from sailing any or all again.

I don't see that sort of give and take in his posts. You may know him better.

I find his posts annoying and as you say, we're free to voice our opinions. That's mine.

I will agree that Dan's posts may be a bit abrasive towords other cruise lines. He is not attacking other individuals personally. He may be right he may be wrong. If you want to prove him wrong the best way to do it is to make a well stated even minded argument stating your opinion and why you think he is wrong. If you go in and start a war it's not going to accomplish anything.

Another example

Dan said he dislikes mega ships. I disagree, here is why.

Mega ships have more activities for different kinds of people. If you want a nice drink there is Bolero's (RCCL). If you want to go Ice skating you can go do that. There is always a nice quiet place in the library too. While there may be more passengers on mega ships there is a better passenger to space ratio making them seem less crowded. While some may not like all of the more active activities they do keep people busy so they are not overcrowding the slower paced activities. The cabin sizes tend to be bigger.

Dan would/will probably come back and say that the food isn't as good on the bigger ships because there is more of a rush with all of the passengers. He will say that there is no personal connection with the staff because of all the passengers. Etc...

These points are valid and I would have to except them. I want civilized discussions on these boards. Even if someone starts off being brash we should not reciprocate in-kind.

You don't quite get it, or are choosing not to. The point was that perhaps you could laud the cirtues of Celebrity without trashing...oh, never mind. You won't get it anyway. It's not the point you're trying to make. It's the way you consistenly choose to do it.
Danno has tried a "reverse" process here, and I can't really fault him for it. While some things that Celebrity "has" can make it preferable to another line for some people, I think that what Danno has hit spot on is that there are certain practices of other lines that, without them, are equally capable of making Celebrity a person's preferred line.

Perhaps the most important to us among Danno's list is the lack of an overworked PA system. Having experienced din/no din cruising, it our feeling that it really changes the tone of the cruise, and for us, the "no din" approach a VERY large positive. Yes, there are other lines that don't offend in this fashion, but it seems to me an entirely valid compare/contrast to those that do, and there's nothing wrong with mentioning one or more of them by name in drawing the comparison.

Eric: Iagree with you on the Mega ship analysis. We travelleed on Navigator in April and were stunned at how uncrowded a vessel with 5000 people (including staff) can be. I suppose the staff were packed in more tightly than we were.

I also thought the entertainment was great and that there might be some critical mass of passengers needed to be able to afford it. Clearly, the calibre of production shows we saw would not be available on a small ship.

Danno has not been on a megaship, at least according to his list of ships on his post. Nor has he been on Carnival, and yet he makes abrasive comments on them.

Also, is there any need, on a Celebrity board, to congratulate oneself on Celebrity being superior? One would think that the average Celebrity cruiser would already be thinking these thoughts or they'd be on other lines already. Remember, this thread started with a list of reasons why X is better than 'lesser" lines and an invitation to add to the list. It just seems a bit smug.

p.s. I like your balanced approach and would be happy to discuss things with you anytime.

Thank goodness X doesn't have...

...have anything that even ressembles "guys in gowns" competitions. I have a hard even believing Carnival is that low brow.

Was on the Zenith this past summer & guess what? That's exactly what they had. And you know, it was very funny!

I'm glad X doesn't have:

Hairy Chest contests

PA announcements

Non-stop Bingo

Constant selling of "souvenir glass" drinks

Free-style dinning

I do my research and know about the other lines. I make a choice based on the options that work for me. I don't think Danno is necessarily "bashing" the otherlines, but more importantly outlining why he does choose Celebrity. I personally would hate to see things that may be popular on other lines to occur on X. I don't need skating rinks and rock climbing walls, so I pick a cruiseline that works for me.

Its funny how "personal" people take any type of perceived derrogatory comment about their cruiseline. Its all about personal choice, and each line has, whether willingly or not, developed their own reputation for the demographics of their customer. Doesn't mean this is without exception, but clearly each line does have a primary target and gears their on-board experience to meet that market.

Joelmarj, my wife would not agree with you on the non stop bingo lol (I don't get it but she loves it), but we are happy that when there is bingo, or other activities, that X does not have the non stop announcements. I am with you as well on the other items especially the free style dining. As far as Danno goes, I do not see any malace in his posts and almost always enjoy reading him as I have for the past year and a half,

That's what bothers me..I've sailed Carnival 3x and have never experienced what you describe at ALL.

I still don't understand why your admiration for a great line like Celebrity has to be celebrated by being negative...and I have noticed this in several of your posts. It seems you can only get pleasure by putting something else down. In fact the last Carnival cruise I took had the most fabulous bedding I've ever slept on (which I know isn't available on my X cruise) there were no announcements, the food was excellent and people were having fun but no one was obnoxious....and I left from NY city where 'loud' is normal ;) We aren't party people..we were in bed after the late shows and we get up early in the morning. The ship was not a floating bunch of drunks like you make it out to be.

I had a great time. I know my X cruise will be a different experience and that's what's great...variety is very nice.

So partying doesn't float your boat...that's great, but don't put down other people who like different things than you. It's not attractive.

Maybe it's not what you say Danno, but it's certainly how you say it.

There are no absolutes. And, most importantly, we've never had a bad cruise in our 20 or so trips, no matter what the line. Some we have liked more than others and we definitely like some things about other lines more than others (e.g. the service on Celebrity) but nothing that would keep us from sailing any or all again.

Bravo!! I'd sail with you any time!!

You too Eric :)

That's what bothers me..I've sailed Carnival 3x and have never experienced what you describe at ALL.

Let's be honest, folks -- while probably a good bit exaggerated, Carnival had a "party 'til you puke" reputation for a good many years. There was a perception that a Carnival cruise was one giant "Spring Break" -- and during such breaks, it largely was! Students that wanted to cruise looked around at the alternatives and picked Carnival. Let's face it -- HAL and Disney weren't exactly the atmosphere they were after. They gravitated to Carnival, and after a while, it reached a critical mass of interest for that demographic, and the whole myth (including the reality) took on a life of its own on Carnival. I know people who like today's usually tamer Carnival who still pay careful attention to when Spring Break and other vacations occur so as to avoid cruising during that period if possible.

A reputation once earned can be a very difficult one to shake, especially if there are those who have vivid memories. From a different new post today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4928680#post4928680

...overly perky social staff who are determined to drag you into activities.

That's the understatement of the year for Celebrity and their Activity Staff people. There's been more than one occassion on Celebrity cruises that the Activity staff acts like they wish you wouldn't participate at all.

Thank goodness X doesn't have...

too many curmudgeons who only like to promote thoughtless criticism without considering other opinions.....

oops, that second part about consideration is redundant since it would require thought.....

Was on the Zenith this past summer & guess what? That's exactly what they had. And you know, it was very funny!

On our last Millie cruise they layed a large round pole across the pool, gave two people rubber bats and they whacked each other until one fell off. Believe it or not, most of the participants were female. It drew more people (happy,smiling) than any of the other activities did the whole week, with the possible exception of final jackpot bingo. I like pool games and hope for more in the future.

Since we just booked our first X cruise, I started reading the threads over here. The overall impression I am getting of the posters are that X cruisers somehow think they are better then cruisers on other lines. This thread is refreshing to see some regulars questioning the bashing and superiority complex some posters have about X.

We booked X because of the reputation of being a more refined, quiet, relaxing ship. But refined is not being snotty. Some posters over here need to remember the Thumper Rule - If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Because, as a former competitive figure skater, I would want to spend my entire cruise reliving my days as a Dorothy Hamill Want-na-be.

This is totally stupid, but on ship with and Ice Rink I would have to pack my skates and and spend all my time skating, as I don't get to skate much anymore.

So what kind of vacation is that, doing axels and camels all day long. Not much.

Since we just booked our first X cruise, I started reading the threads over here. The overall impression I am getting of the posters are that X cruisers somehow think they are better then cruisers on other lines.
OK - I WASN'T going to bring this up. I've managed to keep mum about it in prior threads since it's a one-time anecdotal bit of personal information, but it's mine to tell. It didn't strike me as good material for the "funniest thing" thread, either.

Our first cruise was on the line I mentioned earlier. Let's just say that I figure I have at significantly better chance at making it through a Celebrity cruise without having my dress shoes barfed on in the elevator than I did on that one. And no, there were no rough seas at the time, although from the sideways wanderings of our young fellow passenger, you'd have never known it. Have we reached 'too much information' yet? How about the concept that it's really hard to get to sleep with singing in the hallways until the wee hours. It was like being in a college dorm all over again. Been there, done that, and gave it up when I graduated.

I'm not going to make claims about myself being better than anyone else on other lines... but I AM making that claim for the typical X cruiser I encounter since we've settled into Celebrity as our preferred line. Perhaps we just picked a bad time in terms of the demographics, but once was enough.

Archived