Must See or Must Avoid excursions in Mexico Riviera?

wildflowersnhoney

Taking the Grand Princess on a 10 day in October out of San Francisco.

Mazatlan, Manzanilo, Puerta Vallerta and Cabo are the stops.

What are some of the "must do" excursions you have done in the past? Has anyone gone to the turtle sanctuary in Manzanillo?

what are your thoughts on the "Resort Beach" excursions?

it will be me, DH, and 16 yr old son. No horseback riding and no ATVs for us. I am open to kayak and snorkeling but not the DH and son. How accommodating are the excursions for solo people?

thank you!

In Manzanillo take tour to Colima/Comala. Goes to ruins etc.

In Mazatlan grab a pulmonia for a tour.

In PV the big tours are Rhythms of the Night, the Pirate Ship and the city tour.

We avoid beach excursions and all inclusive. We've found excellant meals at the mercados in PV, Mazatlan and Manzanillo. Full meals from 50 pesos - 100 pesos per person.

The Mexican Riviera board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In Manzanillo take tour to Colima/Comala. Goes to ruins etc.

In Mazatlan grab a pulmonia for a tour.

In PV the big tours are Rhythms of the Night, the Pirate Ship and the city tour.

We avoid beach excursions and all inclusive. We've found excellant meals at the mercados in PV, Mazatlan and Manzanillo. Full meals from 50 pesos - 100 pesos per person.

The Mexican Riviera board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went on this cruise in December. In PV we went on the pirate ship because we thought our kids would like it (ages 7 and 4). They did not, and neither did the dozens of sea-sick passengers, myself included. I have perfected the art of vomiting discretely! All it does is go across the bay to the beach and back. I have never been so happy to see solid earth in all of my life! That said, there were other people who had a blast. Just my two cents :D

Cabo in October is probably a little early to see many whales. Maybe some independent water taxi tours might be good. Depending on your time there The Happy Endings Cantina has great food, generous margaritas for really great prices. Easy walking distance from the tender piers.

http://www.happyendingcantina.com/Home_Page.html

It looks a little more wild than it is. I think that they are trying for a Papa and Beers vib. Fortunately when we were there they didn't succeed. (edit: just noticed the 16 year old son in your family. Still probably an appropriate place for a lunch or an early dinner). Just really good food and drinks. Check their location on Google maps.

Can't give any really current info about the other ports. It has been too long since we have been to any of them.

Edited by ar1950

We did the same cruise (less Manzanillo) in Feb.

Puerto Vallarta

P.V. Is a great town to walk around downtown. You can take a cab or public transit from the port to downtown. There are also some shops along the Rio Cuale which runs through downtown. There's also a WalMart right across from the pier in case you forgot something.

Nuevo Vallarta has great beaches.

Mazatlan

Mazatlan is a working port city. The downtown marketplace is pretty cool. It's like a farmers market on steroids. You can follow the blue line painted on the street outside the cruise terminal. The path takes you downtown and has police and volunteer American guides along the way.

The golden zone is a tourist trap with the usual stores. There is a great local place to eat, the Panama bakery and restaurant is two blocks off the main drag in the golden zone. The food is awesome and very reasonable. The golden zone is a trek from the ship so I'd recommend a cab which is about $10 each way.

Cabo

You have to tender into the harbor so time there is cut a bit short. You can walk around the harbor from where the tender drops you. If you follow the sidewalk around the harbor and up a block, you'll come a long stretch of great beaches. The farther down you go the less bar and merchandise hawking there is. You can also bargain for a water taxi to take you from the tender spot directly to the beach, but you miss the walking harbor experience.

If you want to hit a beach close by, you can go left instead of right in the harbor and there's a small beach right there. Not as extensive as the other one but it works.

I love taking the tours outside of the big city into the Sierra Madre. From Manzanillo take the Colima/Comala tour, fabulous lunch right in the town square. In Mazatlan I like the one that heads up to Copalla

My last cruise had an overnight in PV and did the fantastic Rhythms of the Night tour but that really isn't an option for you. I'm not a beach person but I loved it so much I'm going to do the Las Caletas beach on my next visit.

We've done Rhythms of the Night in Puerto Vallarta. It's a boat ride to an island where a show is performed similar to Circus Soleil. Drink to and on the island and back - no charge, A buffet style meal is served. Not expensive and worth the experience.

We've been to Cabo so many times that we get off the ship and go to Tony's which is on the wharf toward the end before you head downtown. They have good margaritas, bloody mary's and nachos.

We don't wander around too much in ports due to safety concerns. Here's why:

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/victims.html

Edited by elliair

We did the turtle sanctuary a few years ago. Back then it seemed dirty and run down to us. The fun part to us was being able to release tiny baby turtles into the ocean.

We did las Caletas in PV - highly recommend. Very pretty area, good buffet lunch that was included, and places to snorkel just offshore. Nice beach to relax on if you don;t like snorkeling.

I would highly recommend Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta. This is an excursion you must book through the cruise line. It's great! Lunch is provided, all you can drink... If you want, monkeys, a beach, etc. Check it out!

We absolutely loved our day at Las Caletas! Would do it again in a heartbeat. :)

I love taking the tours outside of the big city into the Sierra Madre. From Manzanillo take the Colima/Comala tour, fabulous lunch right in the town square.

I second this! There is a stop at some native pyramid ruins and a view of a volcano that is sometimes letting off steam. Gorgeous ride through the countryside, too.

It's been a while, but my husband and I took a walking tour of Mazatlan old town. I really enjoy that kind of thing. We did the pirate ship when our girls were small. They took us to a beach and it was nice but you can likely find a beach all on your own -- lunch on the pirate ship wasn't too good.

I have to laugh about the description of a kayak/snorkel excursion. I think this was reviewed in 6th grade science class.

"Other sea mammals you're likely to see include giant manta rays, sea turtles, dolphins, and humpback whales.."

Manta rays and sea turtles are NOT mammals. Hahaha. Princess: want to hire me to be your biology expert? lol

Yes. You have to then take the bus tour into the mountains from there. Princess usually does a tour. Colima.

Thank you. It is called "Colonial Colima with Lunch" for this voyage. I am very interested in seeing a volcano, even it it is at a distance. The pyramid ruins sound wonderful too.

Unfortunately it seems that the Las Caletas Private Beach Getaway is already sold out! and the cruise is still 6 months away. I was looking forward to monkeys and margaritas. LOL

The volcano is visible if it's clear, and sometimes it is shooting steam out the top. We have done the tour twice. Once, we saw a lot of steam and once none. It's a distance away from the pyramid ruins. The lunch they give you in Comala is really good (with vegetarian options) and you also can get beer or soda with lunch included. It's my favorite Mexico tour. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has a video of it on YouTube.