Free range, antibiotic free, humanely raised

Shorowitz7

Call me a cynic, but if it costs a cent more then I don't believe they would be buying it. As far as sourcing supplies, there is a lot of food purchased locally when they are based here for the Australian season.

It would be more likely that a smaller specialty cruise ship line would be leading the way in being organic. Are there any of those higher end lines selling themselves as providing the organic ethical experience?

Given the choice I eat only pastured eggs. They taste better. They are worth the price to me. I would pay more to do this on a ship. I have much the same opinion about small batch raw milk cheese, heritage meats, and other such foods. If Celebrity wants to push modern luxury, then I agree that this a good place for refinement. If Chipotle can have standards for their meat, why can't a cruise line? I have the sense that this is a generational divide, much like evening chic v. formal night.

That said I close my eyes and eat what I'm served on vacation. It's not pink slime . . . and if it is I don't want to know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Given the choice I eat only pastured eggs. They taste better. They are worth the price to me. I would pay more to do this on a ship. I have much the same opinion about small batch raw milk cheese, heritage meats, and other such foods. If Celebrity wants to push modern luxury, then I agree that this a good place for refinement. If Chipotle can have standards for their meat, why can't a cruise line? I have the sense that this is a generational divide, much like evening chic v. formal night.

That said I close my eyes and eat what I'm served on vacation. It's not pink slime . . . and if it is I don't want to know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, we see how well Chipotle's standards have worked for them. :rolleyes:

OK - well as someone with a past agriculture background - I'll just say it this way. When it comes to livestock - while I appreciate your desire for free range, no growth hormones etc., in the end these animals are all slaughtered. For your food. So if eating a chicken that didn't have free range bothers you - perhaps you should check into how all chickens, pigs, cows, lambs go to slaughter. They don't put them gently to sleep. Just saying. :cool:

So nice and so true. Fewer and fewer folks have any idea how their food gets to the market or on their plate.

I have seen kids all but throw up when they see a cow being milked and learn that's where their milk comes from....and don't even begin to describe an egg being laid. LOL

I agree with the reality of economics. It is unlikely Celebrity will make organic, free range, hormone free a priority in the near future. It will only become a priority when the market drives the issue.

As to evidence vs opinion:

Population studies combined with research from mice models suggest obesity is related to low level use of antibiotics as in antibiotics from animal consumption. Of note, antibiotics for use of animal growth is not allowed in the EU (due to concerns regarding antibiotic resistance), but is allowed in the US.

Here is one peer reviewed journal that discusses various hypothesis. There are several if you do a pubmed search.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3867737/

A podcast that discusses this further from NPR On Point:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/03/11/anti-biotics-food-meat-obesity

While the types of food you eat matters as far as the food being healthy - when it comes to obesity it's really math.

Eat more calories than you burn - you gain weight.

Eat fewer calories than you burn - you lose weight.

A calorie is a calorie - no matter if it comes from a hamburger or a salad.

Supply chains for the kinds of food we're discussing do exist. See Whole Foods and Chipotle, whose 500 reported cases of food poisoning over tens of millions of meals sold are acceptable odds to me. I'm sure if Celebrity could tap into them it would suit the (for lack of a better term) foodie market they're aiming for.

Those of you who seem to delight in needling the people who would prefer to buy sustainable seafood or organic meats or pastured eggs, really, some time you should try those things. Crack a good pastured egg--ideally one from a farmer's market or some other place where it's likely to be fresh--into a dish and notice that the yolk is bright orange and holds together. Crack a cheap grocery store egg next to it and notice that the yolk is pale yellow and runny. Now cook and eat them. These are no more the same thing than a processed "cheese product" single and a slice of well aged Cheddar.

Anyway, my takeaway from this thread is that some people care about how their food is produced for a variety of reasons--and some people who don't care are very much people I don't want to sit next to at dinner!

Supply chains for the kinds of food we're discussing do exist. See Whole Foods and Chipotle, whose 500 reported cases of food poisoning over tens of millions of meals sold are acceptable odds to me. I'm sure if Celebrity could tap into them it would suit the (for lack of a better term) foodie market they're aiming for.

Those of you who seem to delight in needling the people who would prefer to buy sustainable seafood or organic meats or pastured eggs, really, some time you should try those things. Crack a good pastured egg--ideally one from a farmer's market or some other place where it's likely to be fresh--into a dish and notice that the yolk is bright orange and holds together. Crack a cheap grocery store egg next to it and notice that the yolk is pale yellow and runny. Now cook and eat them. These are no more the same thing than a processed "cheese product" single and a slice of well aged Cheddar.

Anyway, my takeaway from this thread is that some people care about how their food is produced for a variety of reasons--and some people who don't care are very much people I don't want to sit next to at dinner!

Thank you, Bee Minor. This started out as a great topic, but cynical ignorance, apathy, and rudeness has taken over. Those of us who care about how our food is produced are being ridiculed rather than listened to with an open mind. God forbid one might learn something!

OK - well as someone with a past agriculture background - I'll just say it this way. When it comes to livestock - while I appreciate your desire for free range, no growth hormones etc., in the end these animals are all slaughtered. For your food. So if eating a chicken that didn't have free range bothers you - perhaps you should check into how all chickens, pigs, cows, lambs go to slaughter. They don't put them gently to sleep. Just saying. :cool:

My personal solution to dealing with the issue of animal slaughter is to be a vegetarian. I don't even eat fish. One can be a vegetarian quite easily on a ship, but it is quite a bit of a challenge to be strict vegan on board.

The writer in another post here who suggested a premium restaurant that offers organic, and for meat eaters, free range, antibiotic free and humanely raised meats beat me to it, but I would like such a restaurant. The restaurant that comes closest to that is Seasons 52. Yes, Seasons 52 is more expensive than many restaurants, but not that much more expensive.

Hubby and I have often wished the the oft-empty Bistro on 5 on Solstice CLass ships would be converted to a Seasons 52 or similar concept (if Darden wouldn't be accepting of the idea.) Looks like that won't happen now that Reflection has turned it into a sushi place. I feel that Seasons 52 or similar would have broader appeal than a purely sushi location.

Edited by Gangway Style

My personal solution to dealing with the issue of animal slaughter is to be a vegetarian. I don't even eat fish. One can be a vegetarian quite easily on a ship, but it is quite a bit of a challenge to be strict vegan on board.

The writer in another post here who suggested a premium restaurant that offers organic, and for meat eaters, free range, antibiotic free and humanely raised meats beat me to it, but I would like such a restaurant. The restaurant that comes closest to that is Seasons 52. Yes, Seasons 52 is more expensive than many restaurants, but not that much more expensive.

Hubby and I have often wished the the oft-empty Bistro on 5 on Solstice CLass ships would be converted to a Seasons 52 or similar concept (if Darden wouldn't be accepting of the idea.) Looks like that won't happen now that Reflection has turned it into a sushi place. I feel that Seasons 52 or similar would have broader appeal than a purely sushi location.

Now you're talking!! I was a vegan for years, but developed some deficiencies and had to start eating meat for health reasons. It was very, very difficult ethically, but I have to admit that it helped. THIS is why I am very concerned about where the animals come from and how they are treated. So my reasons are ethical as well as getting much healthier nutrition.

You are correct that that a healthier option does not need to be that much more expensive. More then lobster, sole, or rack of lamb?? No it would not be more expensive. And I love your suggestion of Seasons 52!!

Now you're talking!! I was a vegan for years' date=' but developed some deficiencies and had to start eating meat for health reasons. It was very, very difficult ethically, but I have to admit that it helped. THIS is why I am very concerned about where the animals come from and how they are treated. So my reasons are ethical as well as getting much healthier nutrition.

You are correct that that a healthier option does not need to be that much more expensive. More then lobster, sole, or rack of lamb?? No it would not be more expensive. And I love your suggestion of Seasons 52!![/quote']

Oh yes Seasons 52. :) Good idea.

Hi,

Does anybody know whether Celebrity serves meat, poultry or eggs from free range, antibiotic free or humanely raised chicken, cows, etc.?

Thank you

The best way to avoid eating any that are not "meat, poultry or eggs from free range, antibiotic free or humanely raised" is to be vegan. :)

Edited by SPacificbound