Manhattan Cruise Terminal/Luggage Check-In

tntinftw

And to be clear, 'curbside' is upstairs. The port entrance is up a ramp that takes you to the departure level (and higher to the parking garage). Arrivals are on a lower level that don't have access to the curbside. (You walk across the street for cabs and other pickups when you get back.)

And to be clear, 'curbside' is upstairs. The port entrance is up a ramp that takes you to the departure level (and higher to the parking garage). Arrivals are on a lower level that don't have access to the curbside. (You walk across the street for cabs and other pickups when you get back.)

Just so I'm clear in my understanding, the cab will drop us off at the departure level, correct?

Correct, port security/terminal crews outside CBP/disembarkation at street level will direct all to keep walking & cross 12th Avenue @ W. 48th Street, to the yellow taxi stand and/or to get pickup up by car service, etc.

Part of it is port security and to keep traffic moving, especially as the early/mid-morning progress, with upwards of 4,500 pax coming off a mega ship - and, if there are 2 or 3 ships docked on the same day, easily 10,000 pax arriving - staggered but, most of the other 10,000 coming off as early as 7:45 or 8 AM.

If there's one "smaller" ship docking and you get off the ship early ahead of the crowd, you might be able to go back UPSTAIRS to arrival level (2/F or the elevated roadway) and get a taxi ... something we did a few years ago, but for the past 4 or 5 years - it's almost always a walk across the avenue.

Our car service is happy in meeting us mid-block on 48th Street & the driver doesn't have to get "trapped" going upstairs - unless they are dropping off someone for embarkation - taxis & car service coming into the terminal area with an empty cab are discouraged if not simply turned away.

We have cruised out of New York 8 times in the past 6 years (last was Nov 2014) and have simply walked out of the terminal, gotten on line and waited to get a cab. We will again cruise out of NYC in July and November this year. Not sure my physical restriction will enable me to handle this change.

Correct, port security/terminal crews outside CBP/disembarkation at street level will direct all to keep walking & cross 12th Avenue @ W. 48th Street, to the yellow taxi stand and/or to get pickup up by car service, etc.

Part of it is port security and to keep traffic moving, especially as the early/mid-morning progress, with upwards of 4,500 pax coming off a mega ship - and, if there are 2 or 3 ships docked on the same day, easily 10,000 pax arriving - staggered but, most of the other 10,000 coming off as early as 7:45 or 8 AM.

If there's one "smaller" ship docking and you get off the ship early ahead of the crowd, you might be able to go back UPSTAIRS to arrival level (2/F or the elevated roadway) and get a taxi ... something we did a few years ago, but for the past 4 or 5 years - it's almost always a walk across the avenue.

Our car service is happy in meeting us mid-block on 48th Street & the driver doesn't have to get "trapped" going upstairs - unless they are dropping off someone for embarkation - taxis & car service coming into the terminal area with an empty cab are discouraged if not simply turned away.

Thank you for this information, I guess that we are on our own with 4 checked bags and 2 carry ons? Seems like this is some undertaking, crossing from the terminal?

Any other input to my assumption? :eek:

Thank you!

Thank you for this information, I guess that we are on our own with 4 checked bags and 2 carry ons? Seems like this is some undertaking, crossing from the terminal?

Any other input to my assumption? :eek: Thank you!

Not really, it sounded more complicated with what was described, you will be fine. The backup of foot traffic begins on the gangways, leading to the exterior of the terminal building - which is on level 2, thru the doors and then down the escalators on the far side into the Hudson River (elevator for accessible pax) - if the crowds get huge, they will hold up the lines & stop everyone & anyone from moving forward. Once downstairs at street level, you will either head straight for CBP (border control & custom checkpoint/booths) or to the color-coded luggage area, to re-unite with your bags, then proceed.

This is where you make use of porter services, they have carts that will haul all your bags (even if you are doing Express self walk-off, porters will be there) - and use their own shortcut/exclusive lane to fast track thru CBP - and, bring luggage & you outside to 12th Avenue & cross the street as needed, to the taxi stand or car service area to drop you off. Tipping is of course, part of the deal, so be generous as this can easily save you 10 to 20 minutes of standing in line to get thru CBP. Likewise, they can haul the bags up to rooftop parking (and, perhaps, will get you up to level 2 to haul a taxi - if security isn't an issue on that morning - just not a given :p ;) ...

Picture is taken at the yellow taxi stand - next to the traffic light @ 12th Avenue & W. 48th Street, MCT Pier #88 is directly across the roadway - arrival is upstairs on level 2, disembarking pax are funneled into street level downstairs with the luggage (coming off the NCL GEM here ) Here's a taxi-van, that's good for 5 to 6 pax plus generous amount of luggage - no surcharge for using one over regular taxi, the dispatcher on duty will help organize your trip to the airport. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/MCT%20Pier%2090%20-%20IMG0265.jpg

• 6 years later...
5 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Can I retain & take my suitcase with me through security toward my 'Check-In' at the 'Manhattan Cruise Terminal' rather than leaving it with the porters?

If it fits in the xray screening machine, which is similar to those used in airports, yes.