Stateroom and food

Katesowner

It's been about a year since we cruised, and I am not up to date on any changes that may been made. At one point we heard no buffet food could be taken to the stateroom. Then that changed.

Does anyone know the current policy on the Jade? It's not a big deal, but we enjoy taking a bowl of ice cream to our balcony at the end of the day.

They did try to implement that rule, I think last summer, but it was a HUGE flop and it has since been reverted. I gather it was due to some high up person in the company being on a ship and seeing lots of trays/dishes in the hallway.

so, feel free to take your ice cream on your balcony!

They did try to implement that rule, I think last summer, but it was a HUGE flop and it has since been reverted. I gather it was due to some high up person in the company being on a ship and seeing lots of trays/dishes in the hallway.

so, feel free to take your ice cream on your balcony!

And isn't it strange, sailed Getaway, Escape and POA, all in the last 12 months or so and saw not a single tray, dish, or glass in a hall, despite the fact that the "no carryout" rule was recinded. Guess NCL just decided that since the dishes in the hall were a problem, they should just see to it that they are picked up, instead of allowing the stewards to step over them all day. Problem solved.

Could it be that the take out ban was more about encouraging the new Room Service with attached fee than it was about a clean ship? Nah.

I was on Escape two weeks ago and I frequently saw dishes in the hall. The cabin next to us was teen party central and there were usually dishes there. I'm not sure if the cabin stewards are supposed to take them somewhere, or if there is a separate crew that collects them, but they were often there. I even saw a bowl of ice cream on the stairs once and a dirty plate in an elevator, although to be fair I was in the aft section on 15 so fairly close to Entourage.

I was on Escape two weeks ago and I frequently saw dishes in the hall. The cabin next to us was teen party central and there were usually dishes there. I'm not sure if the cabin stewards are supposed to take them somewhere, or if there is a separate crew that collects them, but they were often there. I even saw a bowl of ice cream on the stairs once and a dirty plate in an elevator, although to be fair I was in the aft section on 15 so fairly close to Entourage.

Sometimes people just need to use their freaking heads. I never understood why someone would leave plates, cups etc....in the hall. Just leave them in your room, balcony. I assure you your room steward will take them

Sometimes people just need to use their freaking heads. I never understood why someone would leave plates, cups etc....in the hall. Just leave them in your room, balcony. I assure you your room steward will take them
I assume that the bowl of ice cream on the stairs was the work of some teen who thought it would be funny if some unsuspecting passenger stepped in it. It was on the second step from the top near the handrail, so I guess they were hoping someone would be descending the stairs and not notice.

Not only is it not funny, but it's dangerous. I went and found the first NCL employee I could see and told them about it, and they promised to take care of it right away.

It's been about a year since we cruised, and I am not up to date on any changes that may been made. At one point we heard no buffet food could be taken to the stateroom. Then that changed.

Does anyone know the current policy on the Jade? It's not a big deal, but we enjoy taking a bowl of ice cream to our balcony at the end of the day.

We hadn't cruised in a year and then took a cruise last October, after all the changes.

We noticed no difference in the experience at all. It was one of our best cruises ever (although we say that after every cruise), thought the GEM was great (this was before the recent dry dock) and thought the crew was fantastic.

None of the changes impacted us, but like you, taking a dessert to the cabin would have been something we missed if there was still a prohibition.

I can't imagine how they could hold to a "no buffet foods to rooms" when it is literally impossible to find seating in the buffet so often - including when they annex LaCucina for buffet seating at lunch. I've taken buffet food to my room many times - sometimes because I want to but also sometimes because it's either that or not sit.

I leave the dishes in my room, but almost always the first day I do that the room steward asks me to put them in the hall for the rest of the trip - I thought it was because they could be collected and returned to the kitchen immediately instead of sitting in a stateroom all day or all night. They never seem to stay there very long.

I'm flummoxed that they would make a no-food-to-rooms rule because of plates in the hallway, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Hmmm. We could either tell pax they can no longer take food to their rooms or tell stewards or kitchen staff to make sure they pick up dishes in the hallways. Which which which? What a dilemma that must have been.

Edited by terracool

There are 3 of us in an inside and there's no place to leave plates. And BTW, we rarely bring anything back to our cabin, but we get left lots of goodies from different people. If we were in a suite or something, we'd have room for that, but since we've never sailed in a suite, we don't. We do leave them in the cabin if we're leaving and it's time for the steward to make up or turn down the cabin. Otherwise, it ones in the hallway.

Flame away.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

I can't imagine how they could hold to a "no buffet foods to rooms" when it is literally impossible to find seating in the buffet so often..

In seven years I've never - not even once - have found it "literally impossible" to find seating in the buffet. Yes, it can take one or two rounds around the seating area at worst peak times, but never has it been "literally impossible".

While I never understood leaving dishes out in the hallway, I was forced to do so on our last NCL cruise due to the steward cleaning our room but leaving all dishes etc in the room. We had no choice. I left them in the hall about 2 cabins over so no one thought I was the slob LOL!

In seven years I've never - not even once - have found it "literally impossible" to find seating in the buffet. Yes, it can take one or two rounds around the seating area at worst peak times, but never has it been "literally impossible".

Well then I guess we've had different experiences. I'm quite aware of the meaning of the word "literally", which is why I chose to use it to describe how impossible I've found it to get seating at times. Literally impossible. Yes.

I suppose one could make laps around the area carrying a tray of food and drink and whatever, waiting to come across someone leaving a table much in the same way we drive around parking lots stalking departing shoppers so we can get a parking spot. Suit yourself. But I won't make more than one circuit of the entire area before heading to my room. I literally go through the entire area before concluding that there are literally no available tables. So ... yep. I meant exactly what I said. Literally.

I"ve been Haulin my dirty dish's back to the buffet for along time now .

Ever since we came back to the cabin after a long hot day in the sun to find the fish eggs in our complementary canapés' ready to hatch.

I can't take crap in my cabin. :eek: