Balcony Question on Gem

KevinsCruising

Looking quickly at the deck plans, it looks like the balconies have at least the triangle symbol for "holds three" (some hold more), but if there's a specific cabin that interests you, you should check the deck plan. I'm curious, why do you ask?

Edit: Never mind my original answer, I misunderstood the question. :D

No, there are no balcony cabins that hold only two, the sofa always holds a third person.

Edited by Demonyte

The reason I ask is because there is a group of us cruising. The kids may stay in another cabin kinda like a sleep over. I just wanted to make sure if only two people are in a balcony , that a possible third can be accomidated for a night.

I booked a balcony on gem and according to the room plan, the balcony can accommodate 2, 3 or 4. But people have written that the couch is pulled out for a bed which makes it difficult to get to the balcony

We are looking to book on Gem April 2017, which are the best balcony cabins I see from some youtube review that some or cut outs not true open balconies. Can anyone let me know what decks are the open balconies on.

My understanding is that any mid ship balcony, I'm on the 10th floor for our gem cruise in July

We are looking to book on Gem April 2017, which are the best balcony cabins I see from some youtube review that some or cut outs not true open balconies. Can anyone let me know what decks are the open balconies on.

My understanding is that any mid ship balcony, I'm on the 10th floor for our gem cruise in July

Not only midship balconies, enclosed balconies are only the most forward balconies on decks 9 and 10. On deck 8 there are only enclosed balconies.

One can see the enclosed balconies on this sdmike's post from three years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39331249&postcount=10

The birdge is on deck 11 (no balcony cabins there, only suites and mini-suites), four first balconies on deck 10 and six first balconies on deck 9 are enclosed.

This applies at least to all Jewel class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Gem) and most likely also to Dawn class ships (Dawn, Star).

Edited by Demonyte

This was our mid-ship balcony on the Jewel, similar/identical to the GEM, with the pull out 3 pc. extensions to convert into a bed - it can sleep 2 small kid if necessary (for short naps) ... padding is thin & solidly hard to some.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/SDC8070.JPG

As noted, when setup to sleep - made getting around to the balcony very difficult.

Perhaps this help to visualize or answer OP's question.

Edited by mking8288