Juneau Excursions -May 2016

sheweeble

Just a couple of questions. I am looking at a couple of excursions in Juneau. The Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest or just the Mendenhall Glacier Explorer.

My DH is prone to seasickness on smaller boats, how choppy is the ride? Do you see a lot of whales from the ship as you are travelling? We have done whale watches in Hawaii so have seen them close up, is this different?

Some of the reviews say with the combo you don't get enough time at the Glacier, that is why I am wondering if just doing the Glacier Explore might be better.

Thanks in advance!

When I did my whale watching tour, the water was fine. My wife is also prone to seasickness on small boats and she had no issues. It really depends on the weather though.

We did see a lot of whales (humpbacks and orcas), as well as many sea lions. We even saw a breach by an orca. However, with these being animals living in the wild, there is no guarantee of how many you will see. Odds are usually pretty good though. :)

I've got nothing to offer on Mendenhall, since I've yet to get there. (I will this year!)

Just a couple of questions. I am looking at a couple of excursions in Juneau. The Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest or just the Mendenhall Glacier Explorer.

My DH is prone to seasickness on smaller boats, how choppy is the ride? Do you see a lot of whales from the ship as you are travelling? We have done whale watches in Hawaii so have seen them close up, is this different?

Some of the reviews say with the combo you don't get enough time at the Glacier, that is why I am wondering if just doing the Glacier Explore might be better.

Thanks in advance!

You don't hear of many sea sickness complaints with Auke Bay whale watches, BUT, you are on water, and nobody can predict what someone is going to experience. 100% sightings of humpbacks.

I always see a lot of wildlife from a cruise ship- BUT- I am out most of the sailing time (which few people are willing to invest that time). I also have the advantage of knowing areas that are priorities for me. With this thinking, you must be accepting, of hours of "waiting" for a 30 second view. Wide angle binoculars are necessary, and forward viewing. (forget the "preferred" aft, you've missed 50% of the view). Yes, I am an intent, serious cruise ship viewer. :) You also will always see me on tours, cruise ship viewing, clearly does not replace any tour. It's an added highlight, in my case.

Being you are looking at a combo ship tour- I suggest you also consider an independent whale watch with a pick up/drop off at Mendenhall. Any ship tour is going to be a fixed time. Since you are interested in longer time at Mendenhall, just taking a shuttle bus in one direction- is ideal.

Edited by Budget Queen

Just a little tip, from someone that has spent lots of time on the water in small boats, in Southeast Alaska - and tend to get a little sea sick on anything- if you feel like it is coming on- get out on deck in the cool breeze- no matter how cool it is- and look at the horizon- good luck-

We have done the Big Blue Bus which I understand is now $30 picked up in town. It takes you to Mendenhall and comes back throughout the day allowing you as much time as you want. We walked the bridges over where bear are supposed to play, as well as all the way back to the waterfall. Otherwise you will not have time to do all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do wonder thought, since we are doing Harv and Marv, if the Big Blue Bus would pick us up and take us back since we wouldn't be prepaid.

We used Harv & Marv last summer. They dropped us at Mendenhall and we spent about 2 hours there then rode the blue bus back. It seems if the blue bus has room you just pay the driver half of the round trip fare and they take you downtown.

Don't cut it too close to sailing time in case your first choice of bus is full.

I do wonder thought, since we are doing Harv and Marv, if the Big Blue Bus would pick us up and take us back since we wouldn't be prepaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can use the shuttle bus one way. You will be paying the driver direct.

My DH is prone to seasickness on smaller boats, how choppy is the ride? Do you see a lot of whales from the ship as you are travelling?

The only time we’ve been out of Juneau on a whale watch and it was rough was 3 years ago. Couple people got sick and we had to transfer to a larger boat and headed back early due to the waves. We were on Harv and Marv. If seasickness is a problem, pick an operator with a larger boat.