Guernsey excursion

rockchk31

Hi,

Am booked on a mini cruise on Ventura in June and am now looking at possible excursions to do.

Has anyone done the German fortifications excursion in Guernsey, if so is it worth it?

Also looking at one to Bruges, but it says....due to traffic restrictions there is a walk of 20-30 mins from town to coach stop...is it worth it for a 41/2 hour trip?

Trying to get organised whilst confusing myself in the process!!

There is lots to do in Guernsey most are easy to DIY, there is a German occupation museum within walking distance of the tender drop off point (a good walk around the bay)La Vallette Underground Military Museum , we have caught the round the island service bus, route 91 or 92, I think it's a set cost for each journey (or it was)

http://buses.gg/routes_and_times/timetables/91/TRUE

http://lavalette.tk/index.html

Hi,

Am booked on a mini cruise on Ventura in June and am now looking at possible excursions to do.

Has anyone done the German fortifications excursion in Guernsey, if so is it worth it?

Also looking at one to Bruges, but it says....due to traffic restrictions there is a walk of 20-30 mins from town to coach stop...is it worth it for a 41/2 hour trip?

Bear in mind when planning, that Guernsey is one of those stops that is a tender, and quite a few times due to swell etc, they have not been able to tender, so you would not be able to go ashore.

The cheapest is the bus ride round the island, costs about £2-£3. It requires no planning. you just walk from the tender drop off point, to the bus "station" and get on the bus. A good way of seeing the whole island.

If you spend any money ashore make sure you get English money back. Guernsey currency is not legal tender in this country.

I would certainly not be trying to plan a trip to Bruges, which has the possibility of hold ups aplenty.

The walk you mention in Bruges is from where the coach parks to the town centre, as coaches are not allowed in there.

The walk into Bruges takes you through interesting areas of the city so its not time wasted. 3 hours or so is long enough in the main centre.

I can recommend any trip which visits WW1 sites such Paschendaele, Ypres, Menin Gate and a walk around Bruges.

Thanks for your replies.

Think I will look at a 'bruge at your own pace' kind of thing as it would be good to just explore the area and it sounds interesting.

So it seems that Guernsey could be hit and miss as to wether we can tender..i would assume if we cant P and O would refund me for the missed excursion?.

Not seen much of the world so very much looking forward to exploring these places!

We are going to Guernsey on Azura in August and and would like to go to the WW2 German hospital. The P and O excursion is a bit pricey but I'm thinking that if it's a Tender Port we will get priority tendering so it may be worth taking the tour.

Am I thinking along the right lines ?

We did the German Occupation trip and found it to be very poor value, the guide knew very little about the occupation and one of the museums was walkable from the ship. Of course this may not be the same for you, just our experience. We are in Guernsey Monday and will probably get the ferry to Sark as DIY or get the bus as previously mentioned. As for Bruges this is very easy DIY if you are fit, there is a free shuttle to Blackenburg (probably spelt it wrong) this is a nice town in its own right with a seafront. From there you can get the train to Bruges it's a 15 min trip and they run every hour. The train line Europe is easy to use and will give you the times, it's about €5 if you show your cruise card. If you do this my tip is get a wiggle on when you get off the train in the return trip because there will be a queue for the shuttles back to the ship. Hope this helps.

We hired a car in Guernsey and just drove round the island in an anti-clockwise direction which is easier than the other way. It was lovely just to stop when we felt like it to enjoy the various villages, beaches and places on interest. We were met as we got off the tender, got our car in the car park just there and then we were off. Brilliant!

We hired a car in Guernsey and just drove round the island in an anti-clockwise direction which is easier than the other way. It was lovely just to stop when we felt like it to enjoy the various villages, beaches and places on interest. We were met as we got off the tender, got our car in the car park just there and then we were off. Brilliant!

This is exactly what we did a few years ago too. I cant remember which car hire firm we used but the Ts &Cs said we would only be charged if we actually hired the car....so if we couldnt tender in, we wouldnt be charged. Very easy to drive around Guernsey and for 4 of us was a really cheap day out.

My husband did the German hospital excursion and said it was really good - he must have had a good guide unlike the one that a previous poster mentioned. We have managed to get into Guernsey twice, although for a time on the second occasion it looked like we weren't going to make it and the trip ashore was very bumpy. In fact on our return journey P&O had hired one of the Guernsey much larger boats to do the tendering - like a small ferry and the journey was better.

We used Value-Rent-A-Car who had a deal where for £5 (?) you could insure against not actually getting there.

The good thing was that when it was cancelled, they actually contacted me to remind me to get the refund, twice.

So it basically cost me £5.

I wouldn't rely on the buses, because you might be short of time and they didn't seem to run more than hourly.

We used Value-Rent-A-Car who had a deal where for £5 (?) you could insure against not actually getting there.

The good thing was that when it was cancelled, they actually contacted me to remind me to get the refund, twice.

So it basically cost me £5.

I wouldn't rely on the buses, because you might be short of time and they didn't seem to run more than hourly.

Thanks for the info, I booked a car today for September!!

If I can be of any help with suggestions what is worth seeing in

Guernsey, I live here however I have nothing to do tourism but my

husband and I cruise a lot and sometimes it would have been nice to have

suggestions.

No.1 - The around the Island bus gets good reports.

No.2 - Little Chapel at Les Vauxbelets very picturesque

No.3 - German Museum (not far from little chapel) all the

memorabilia from the Occupation

(This I was impressed with)

I will keep my fingers crossed for the sun to shine.

Wishing you all 'Bon Voyage'

Hi,

Guernsey - I would highly recommend the local bus it was either number 91 or 92 depending on direction I believe and you get it from just outside where the tender stops and across the road. The bus takes you around most the island and our driver stopped at some lovely spots for pictures. It cost £1 and took just short of 2 hours.

Having previously done Bruge, I didn't go into Bruge and stayed in Blankenburg which on my next cruise in June I will definitely go into Bruge as I found there's not much to do in Blankenburg (although it was winter). I believe people that did go into Bruge got the train which is a short walk from where the complimentary buses take you but I am not sure the other end from the station.

Edited by Port&starboard

Thanks for your replies.

Think I will look at a 'bruge at your own pace' kind of thing as it would be good to just explore the area and it sounds interesting.

So it seems that Guernsey could be hit and miss as to wether we can tender..i would assume if we cant P and O would refund me for the missed excursion?.

!

Just noticed that no-one has actually answered this point about refund...and the answer is yes . If you book a P &O excursion and they cancel it, you will get a refund in full.

I grew up in Guernsey and I would definitely say you could DIY. I would consider going to Castle Cornet or

The Little Chapel. St Peter Port is really pretty and there are excellent seafood restaurants. If you can manage a trip to Herm, it's well worth a visit - a 20 minute boat ride. The bus makes things really easy to get around. Some lovely beaches too - Pembroke Bay is my favourite. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app