Lunch in Juneau?

CruisinCadie

Would people please recommend a moderately priced restaurant for lunch in Juneau. Our ship is tendered and will not dock until some of the other ships leave. I assume that will be late afternoon or evening. We don't want to tender back and forth to the ship for lunch, so I'm looking for a decent place to eat onshore. We're a pair of retirees and not extremely picky, just no Asian, please. Thanks for your input.

Kathy

Would people please recommend a moderately priced restaurant for lunch in Juneau. Our ship is tendered and will not dock until some of the other ships leave. I assume that will be late afternoon or evening. We don't want to tender back and forth to the ship for lunch, so I'm looking for a decent place to eat onshore. We're a pair of retirees and not extremely picky, just no Asian, please. Thanks for your input.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, do you like seafood? On the dock there in Juneau, is Tracy's crab shack, its nothing fancy or doesn't look like much, but...:) You can't miss it, its very good. Just ask any of the crew on board, they've eaten there I'm sure. Hope that help.

Virginia

Don’t go to Tracy’s Crab Shack!! It’s over priced frozen crab and a tourist trap. If you’re looking for a good place to go for lunch or dinner go to the “Hanger on the Wharf”. http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ you can watch the float planes take off and land out on the water.

All king crab is frozen in Alaska. If Dungies are in season, they'll be fresh at Tracy's. I do agree it's a tourist trap in that it's crowded and busy, but I don't like crowds. That's why I live in Alaska.

Bearing in mind your moderate priced need, all food is expensive in Alaska. The Hanger will cost you more than you're accustomed to, but it's fine; nothing exciting. There's a place that's a bit cheaper, but primarily deep-fried seafood at the other end of The Hanger building. Lots of people like The Twisted Fish, which is run by the same company and is a bit more adventurous. I find it loud and crowded (notice a trend) in the summer.

If you're not into seafood and just want a nice wrap and a salad, Heritage Coffee has taken over a large location. Up the street from it is The Rookery, which I prefer when I'm downtown. Order at the counter, but nice, hearty food with a range of choices. For a big, meat-filled sandwich, another off the beaten track place is Grumpy's.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We do like seafood, but also are sometimes in the mood for just a quick salad or sandwich. This at least gives me a place to start.

Kathy

My relatives last year actually really enjoyed the very good chicken-fried steak at TJ McGuires simply because they'd had so much fancy food and seafood on the ship. Something to keep in mind!

Everyone else in town loves The Taqueria. Having lived in CA for years, I'm less enthusiastic, but it's not expensive if you just get a couple tacos, and they do have seafood tacos for a twist.

There will also be lots of really good food carts around, but if it's raining, this will be difficult to find shelter.

• 2 weeks later...

Tracy's is fun but agree is touristy, that said people love it and most people don't know the Alaska King crab is frozen, actually its frozen anywhere you have it during the cruise season, but people don't care they are eating Alaska King Crab in Alaska....its all part of going to Alaska. I mean dog sledding on wheels????? :rolleyes: In any event Tracy's has a new location this year.

I fully agree with 232271 it's the Twisted Fish for us, great food and wonderful views.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

http://www.twistedfishcompany.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another vote for Hangar on the Wharf! It's right across the street from the Avis car rental location. Last year we rented a car there, but didn't leave right away. We left the car in the Avis lot while we went across the street for lunch. Very convenient! I had some great fish and chips!

Tracy's is fun but agree is touristy, that said people love it and most people don't know the Alaska King crab is frozen, actually its frozen anywhere you have it during the cruise season, but people don't care they are eating Alaska King Crab in Alaska....its all part of going to Alaska. I mean dog sledding on wheels????? :rolleyes: In any event Tracy's has a new location this year.

I fully agree with 232271 it's the Twisted Fish for us, great food and wonderful views.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

http://www.twistedfishcompany.com/

We had lunch at Tracy's in August 2014 and plan on going back for lunch this coming August. You mentioned that Tracy's has a new location. Is it near the other location? Is it as easy to find as where they were in 2014? My husband is SO looking forward to eating at Tracy's. It was the highlight of his trip last time.