Easy DYI from Livorno with kids

azmaui

Hi Italy experts,

I am planning on an easy half day in Livorno. My kids are 4 and 6 and I've been in Florence and Pisa before (been a while...).

I'm thinking kids are bit small to appreciate Florence so I'm considering these options:

- Tuscany bus to Pisa

Or

- train to Pisa (kids would prefer the train but seems that Tuscany bus departs right where the port shuttle drops us off?).

Not sure how far is it from bus or train in Pisa to the tower?

Spend 2-3 hours in Pisa (take pics with tower, walk around and have some pizza).

Then

- return to Livorno (maybe take a boat tour? Any other fun activities for kids?) and get back to ship early.

OR

Continue to Lucca? Never been and not sure if it will be fun for kids to justify extra travel time.

I would appreciate your advice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was also going to recommend lucca as that is my plan for a port stop this year.

Look at going to Lucca first as it is farther and you can stop at Pisa on your return. The kids will love the ramparts either walking or biking if they are up to it. Then wander the streets and see if any of the "buildings" interest them so that you can visit. The Guinigi tower with its views and trees on top would be a thought. Take a snack break, what kid would not like Gelato.

Then time your return to Livorno via Pisa. Stop there as you will be transferring anyway and take them to see the tower. Would be a fun day, easy to diy, and not to taxing even for the littler ones.

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm following this thread, since we'll be there next month and I'm debating what to do as well!

The suggestion above is a great one! Last time we docked in Livorno, we (my husband, myself and our son who was 3 at the time), went to Lucca by train. It was gorgeous and we arrived before most people! We wandered around and ate pizza stuffed with nutella (YUM), and then took the train to Pisa and spent time climbing the tower. We had a lovely, unrushed day.

I posted the specifics in my review - it's the link in my signature for the Carnival Breeze.

Have fun!

• 4 months later...

Think I read somewhere that when doing a return train trip from Lucca to Livorno and wishing to stop off at Pisa it is best to get off at a train stop before Pisa centrale as it is closer to the Field of Miracles ? Anyone able to confirm this and tell me what the station is called?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there on a Sunday two weeks ago with our kids (ages 7 & 12). Given the Sunday bus/train schedules, we ended up hiring a taxi directly from the pier to take us to both Pisa and Lucca, for about 5 hours total. It was a last minute decision as were were originally planning to take the train to Florence, but for same reasons as you, and following a busy day in Rome the day before, we decided to take it easy. We had first decided to take a taxi just to Pisa (for 120 Euros) but the taxi dispatcher's "upsell" convinced us to add Lucca as well for a total cost of 240 Euro, and boy, were we happy we did! We spent about an hour in Pisa - which was plenty of time to walk around the tower and "Field of Miracles", and visit a few tacky souvenir stalls. And then we had about 2.5 hours in Lucca - which was absolutely lovely - very few tourists, really interesting scenery and architecture, and a very relaxed vibe. Pisa was very hot and crowded but Lucca wasn't at all so the kids could wander a bit more freely. We walked around, enjoyed a leisurely lunch in the village, and amazing gelato in the Anfiteatro. We also found the local artisans craft market (near the Napoleon square), which is held on the last Sunday of every month. The taxi was clean, comfortable, with AC and free wifi (which the 12 yo loved!). The driver gave us some suggestions and a map of what to see in Lucca, waited for us at set meeting point, and was paid at the end when we returned to the port. It turned out to be a reasonably good value compared to the cost of the ship's excursion x4 people, and actually ended up being one of the most relaxing and enjoyable ports we visited. Also note that unless you hire a taxi at the port (and most will only take you to either Florence or Pisa/Lucca and not the short distance to the train station), the only way to get into town is via the port-operated shuttle that costs 5 Euro per person, and then you still need to take a taxi or walk to the train station.

Edited by YOWmom