Hotel help near Galveston port please!!!

Flying into Houston Lobby and would love to hear suggestions on a hotel the night before our cruise. Do any hotels provide pickup from this airport possibly?? Any help is appreciated my fellow cruisers!!!! Thank you Brian

Hobby is around 45 minutes from the cruise port, so it's unlikely to find a hotel with both airport and cruise port shuttle. There are hotels near the airport that do have airport shuttle. I would check the Gulf Coast Departures forum for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

We have sailed twice out of Galveston and flown into Hobby. Never found any hotel shuttles. We have used a car service both times and the cost is about $120. After flying all day and having somebody meet you and help with luggage and drive you is priceless.

In December we stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites and it was very nice. I would recommend it. They do offer a shuttle to the port in the AM. Not sure exactly how that works as we were with friends who had a car and we drove to the port. The other time we just had a taxi pick us up.

From what I saw in the lobby I would hire a taxi. The hotel shuttle seemed to be a zoo. I am thinking easier to just have your own ride.

Directly across the street from HI is a Wal-Mart to pick up any last minute things. Buying liquor can be a bit of a challenge due to TX laws. I don't know if Wal-Mart had liquor as we had stopped the day before at a huge liquor store on the main road coming onto the island and bought what we wanted.

We have sailed twice out of Galveston and flown into Hobby. Never found any hotel shuttles. We have used a car service both times and the cost is about $120. After flying all day and having somebody meet you and help with luggage and drive you is priceless.

In December we stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites and it was very nice. I would recommend it. They do offer a shuttle to the port in the AM. Not sure exactly how that works as we were with friends who had a car and we drove to the port. The other time we just had a taxi pick us up.

From what I saw in the lobby I would hire a taxi. The hotel shuttle seemed to be a zoo. I am thinking easier to just have your own ride.

Directly across the street from HI is a Wal-Mart to pick up any last minute things. Buying liquor can be a bit of a challenge due to TX laws. I don't know if Wal-Mart had liquor as we had stopped the day before at a huge liquor store on the main road coming onto the island and bought what we wanted.

From TX. Can confirm no spirits at Wal Mart. Most Wal Marts do not have wine but do have beer. In Houston there will be a liquor store no more than 3-4 minutes away.

Have fun on the Liberty, she's a great ship. My fiancee and I just did 7 nights on her in Mid-March!

There are many hotels around Hobby that have shuttles to and from the airport. If you stay at one of those and take hotel shuttle back to the airport in the morning, you can take the RCCL transfers to the port.

We stayed at the Hotel Gálvez, which is right across the street from the beach in Galveston. We had to take a very expensive shuttle from the airport to the hotel (somewhere around $160/person round tripI think?). The far distance and high price for getting from the airport into Galveston is one of the reasons we won't cruise from Texas again.

There were lots of shuttles from the hotel Galvez to the cruise pier though. I think we paid for that through RC, I can't remember. But there were a lot of people at that hotel going to the port and more than one shuttle.

The hotel is pricey, I think we paid $400 a night back in 2013 for it, but it's nice and historical and right by the beach and all the fun stuff at the pier (the rides and shops etc).

**edit: I just checked the prices and they've gone WAY down since we've been there. Looks like one Saturday night stay in pretty much any month is only $139-$189. Very reasonable for this hotel and location. For that price Id stay in a heartbeat. Just buy transfers to the ship from there, or take a taxi because its not far from the pier at all. Taxi would get you there faster and probably cheaper too.

Edited by ColoradoGurl