Chillin’ on the Conquest: April 2nd, 8 night Eastern

CruzinScotty

We are doing Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. So, completely different ports, but, I love reading reviews and hearing info about the ship. Especially the food!

I hear ya. I love reading about ships I'm going on; or even hope to go on some day.

Thanks for reading.

CruizinScotty! Loved your review as always, a great read, as well as photos.

Thanks for posting it:)

re; Saba. That island has no beaches, as it rises right up out of the sea, like a giant rock. It is inhabited and has one of the scariest landing strips in the Caribbean, maybe anywhere lol. Google it. Quite interesting place, that I doubt I will ever see in person.

Thanks again for your review!

Edited by SMSACE6

Thanks for such a great review. We've sailed Conquest twice and love her. I liked hearing about Josh's lectures and the special meets for veterans. I'm the Navy Daughter of a WWII vet (would have been 90 this year) and Navy Mom to an officer currently serving in the Middle East. Thanks so much to your dad for his service.:cool:

CruizinScotty! Loved your review as always, a great read, as well as photos.

Thanks for posting it:)

re; Saba. That island has no beaches, as it rises right up out of the sea, like a giant rock. It is inhabited and has one of the scariest landing strips in the Caribbean, maybe anywhere lol. Google it. Quite interesting place, that I doubt I will ever see in person.

Thanks again for your review!

Thanks for reading another one of my reviews. :) It's a labor of love. I love to do them, but they take some time.

Saba sounds interesting, but I don't think it's on my must-do list. ;)

thanks for the great review! Can you tell me what deck and cabin you had? The balcony looks longer than normal

Thanks

Thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed reading.

This is the first time we've had cabins next to each other where we could open the balcony divider. We really enjoyed double the space and being able to actually visit outside.

Thanks for such a great review. We've sailed Conquest twice and love her. I liked hearing about Josh's lectures and the special meets for veterans. I'm the Navy Daughter of a WWII vet (would have been 90 this year) and Navy Mom to an officer currently serving in the Middle East. Thanks so much to your dad for his service.:cool:

I appreciate your comments. I was hesitant after we booked the Conquest; I would not hesitate to go on her again.

Thanks for mentioning my Dad.

And, please thank your son for HIS service! And, to you as well. The family is also always serving and you've now had it as a daughter and a mother. Thank you!

At the Veteran's Meet was a woman with her two kids; her husband is active duty at the moment. She really appreciated the meet.

Thank you so much for your great review! We are on the same cruise on May 14th and really looking forward to it!

Thanks you; I'm glad you like it.

The timing of my trip worked well for you. I was able to get the review done before you leave on your cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

This morning, Josh’s lecture is: D-Day, The Invasion of Normandy. This was very interesting. I didn’t learn quite as much today since I do like history; but I did learn what the D in D-Day stands for.

Do you know what it is?

It’s quite silly, actually. It stands for “Day”. When planning attacks, the actual day is a Big Day, but "Day" by itself is too plain. So the attack day is D-Day, with the day before being D+1 Day, etc.

So, it really means “Day-Day”. :)

There were many D-Days during WWII, and during all wars; this is just the most famous one.

Very interesting! Thanks for this tidbit. I always thought D-Day meant "Doomsday".

By the way - thank you very much for the review.

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it. We'll be on the Conquest 5-14-to 5-28 with this itinerary 1st and then staying on for the subsequent 6 day after. I think Josh will be on vacation during that time so I think we'll miss his history lessons. You mentioned Hitler and whether or not he actually died in Berlin or not. Recently there was a series, History Channel I think, that was titled searching for Hitler or something like that. It was really interesting and thorough. You might look it up and see if you can find it. It definitely makes you wonder if what's been taken as fact for years is true or not.

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it. We'll be on the Conquest 5-14-to 5-28 with this itinerary 1st and then staying on for the subsequent 6 day after. I think Josh will be on vacation during that time so I think we'll miss his history lessons. You mentioned Hitler and whether or not he actually died in Berlin or not. Recently there was a series, History Channel I think, that was titled searching for Hitler or something like that. It was really interesting and thorough. You might look it up and see if you can find it. It definitely makes you wonder if what's been taken as fact for years is true or not.

Thanks so much for the nice comment. Someday, I hope to do a B2B. I knew Josh had some vacation time coming up soon. I'll have to check out the History Channel.

Enjoy your cruises!

Very interesting! Thanks for this tidbit. I always thought D-Day meant "Doomsday".

By the way - thank you very much for the review.

Love the Doomsday comment. :D

Thanks for the nice comment. I enjoy doing reviews. It's my way of giving back to the site for all the little tidbits of info I find here.

LOVED your review, and as I've said before, it almost makes me wish the Conquest would have won out when choosing between it and the Magic. My luck though, by January Josh would probably be moved to another ship.

I really liked your pictures of San Juan. I think that's the port I am most looking forward to on our next cruise, just because it's so different than any other port I've been to. We don't have an excursion planned there either. We plan to check out the fort and then shop our way back to the ship about like you guys did. I just love the looks of that place and can't wait to see it myself.

Your description of the veteran's meet up brought tears to my eyes, with your dad getting a standing ovation. How awesome is that? And how well deserved. We don't have a lot of those guys left. Please tell your dad thank you from me. I did 4 years in the Navy myself, during Desert Storm. I think it's great to see Carnival taking the time to honor vets. I LOVED the pictures..both the group one and the one of the Pops with the Captain. I was a little irritated to hear they couldn't produce a wheelchair for him on disembarkation. Come on. Really? We will be sailing out of Port Canaveral for our Magic cruise and glad to hear you like this port better.

And, once again, that Blue Iguana :D Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes that so much. Fish tacos rock! We did not like the breakfast burritos, but now thanks to you I know they serve stuff other than that so I will be trying it out for breakfast again.

Anyway..THANK YOU so much for the great review! I really enjoyed it.

Was your mini fridge stocked?

Our mini fridge was stocked. I saw on John Heald's page that very soon all fridges will not be stocked so you can use them as you please; including having it restocked if your one of the few that DID use those items.

It seems I saw a thread in the last week and some ships have already started unstocking them. It's something I'm glad to see.

LOVED your review, and as I've said before, it almost makes me wish the Conquest would have won out when choosing between it and the Magic. My luck though, by January Josh would probably be moved to another ship.

I really liked your pictures of San Juan. I think that's the port I am most looking forward to on our next cruise, just because it's so different than any other port I've been to. We don't have an excursion planned there either. We plan to check out the fort and then shop our way back to the ship about like you guys did. I just love the looks of that place and can't wait to see it myself.

Your description of the veteran's meet up brought tears to my eyes, with your dad getting a standing ovation. How awesome is that? And how well deserved. We don't have a lot of those guys left. Please tell your dad thank you from me. I did 4 years in the Navy myself, during Desert Storm. I think it's great to see Carnival taking the time to honor vets. I LOVED the pictures..both the group one and the one of the Pops with the Captain. I was a little irritated to hear they couldn't produce a wheelchair for him on disembarkation. Come on. Really? We will be sailing out of Port Canaveral for our Magic cruise and glad to hear you like this port better.

And, once again, that Blue Iguana :D And, the fish tacos! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes that so much. Fish tacos rock! We did not like the breakfast burritos, but now thanks to you I know they serve stuff other than that so I will be trying it out for breakfast again.

Anyway..THANK YOU so much for the great review! I really enjoyed it.

I really appreciate all of your comments and feedback.

I'm sure you'll like the Magic; I expect we'll be on it soon since we like Port Canaveral so much. Plus, we weren't thrilled with the Sunshine and the Valor is getting relegated to 4 and 5 day Bahamas cruises when the Sunshine returns this fall. I'm quite unhappy that when the Sunshine goes to New York for the summer of 2017; it will leave Port Canaveral with only 2 ships. There's an extra ship in the fleet with the Vista; but with them adding Mobile and starting to move ships to China - I hate that Port Canaveral it the port taking the hit......

I think you may be in luck if you are seeking Josh out on the Conquest next year. He lives in South Florida; he's been trying to get on a ship from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for a long time. He's getting ready to take a month off. Then, he'll have time off when his first child is born this fall. But, he said that he'll be on the Conquest after that; he expects to be there quite a while.

We LOVE San Juan. As you said, it is very different from the other ports; especially what is in walking distance. There's so much to see. I been to Castillo de Cristobal. That is the smaller fort by the square that is closest to the ship. We spent 45 minutes there, but easily could have spent twice that amount. Every picture is a wonderful photo op; either of the fort and the ocean or the fort and the city. And, of course at the top, of the fort and the ship!

Thank you so much for your comments about my Pop. We were very moved at the reaction to the crowd. When Josh called him on stage, he asked if he would mind sharing what he did in the war. He was in the Pacific and there was another round of applause when he mentioned he was a paratrooper; which was in it's infancy in this war. He didn't mention this, but I will; because he's always been quite humble about his service. He was among the first troops in Tokyo after the war. He was there about a week before the Missouri got there for the official paperwork signing.

Let me take a moment to thank YOU for your service. I agree that this new Military Appreciation is a GREAT addition by Carnival.

Yes, we have mutual love for the Blue Iguana. :D I only ate their burritos on the first two ships it was on. Now, I've moved over to the taco side for breakfast and lunch. I still like the burritos, but the tortillas are made fresh and are a lot less breading. Plus, it's hard to add all the extra topping to the burritos. ;)

Thanks again for commenting on the review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and found it helpful.

Edited by CruzinScotty

HI all!

CruzinScotty ~ thanks so much for this wonderful review.:D I'm trying to decide between

Conquest & Splendor but you have won me over to Conquest. I hope to book it tomorrow

while the small deposit sale is on. Unfortunately I won't be sailing her until Oct 2017 if all goes well & only for 6 days.

I've picked up a lot of hints from your review & sure hope I get Big Sexy as a CD.

Thanks again.

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

CruzinScotty ~ thanks so much for this wonderful review.:D I'm trying to decide between

Conquest & Splendor but you have won me over to Conquest. I hope to book it tomorrow

while the small deposit sale is on. Unfortunately I won't be sailing her until Oct 2017 if all goes well & only for 6 days.

I've picked up a lot of hints from your review & sure hope I get Big Sexy as a CD.

Thanks again.

~ Jo ~ :)

I can't comment on the Splendor, but wouldn't hesitate to go back on the Conquest. I hope things go well with your booking. "only 6 days" - is 6 days on a cruise: I'll take it. :D

I'm glad you got some useful information.

If Big Sexy has any say in the matter; unless he's on vacation and the Conquest stays in Port Everglades - he's very happy where he is.

Thanks so much for your nice comments.

I really appreciate all of your comments and feedback.

I'm sure you'll like the Magic; I expect we'll be on it soon since we like Port Canaveral so much. Plus, we weren't thrilled with the Sunshine and the Valor is getting relegated to 4 and 5 day Bahamas cruises when the Sunshine returns this fall. I'm quite unhappy that when the Sunshine goes to New York for the summer of 2017; it will leave Port Canaveral with only 2 ships. There's an extra ship in the fleet with the Vista; but with them adding Mobile and starting to move ships to China - I hate that Port Canaveral it the port taking the hit......

I think you may be in luck if you are seeking Josh out on the Conquest next year. He lives in South Florida; he's been trying to get on a ship from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for a long time. He's getting ready to take a month off. Then, he'll have time off when his first child is born this fall. But, he said that he'll be on the Conquest after that; he expects to be there quite a while.

We LOVE San Juan. As you said, it is very different from the other ports; especially what is in walking distance. There's so much to see. I been to Castillo de Cristobal. That is the smaller fort by the square that is closest to the ship. We spent 45 minutes there, but easily could have spent twice that amount. Every picture is a wonderful photo op; either of the fort and the ocean or the fort and the city. And, of course at the top, of the fort and the ship!

Thank you so much for your comments about my Pop. We were very moved at the reaction to the crowd. When Josh called him on stage, he asked if he would mind sharing what he did in the war. He was in the Pacific and there was another round of applause when he mentioned he was a paratrooper; which was in it's infancy in this war. He didn't mention this, but I will; because he's always been quite humble about his service. He was among the first troops in Tokyo after the war. He was there about a week before the Missouri got there for the official paperwork signing.

Let me take a moment to thank YOU for your service. I agree that this new Military Appreciation is a GREAT addition by Carnival.

Yes, we have mutual love for the Blue Iguana. :D I only ate their burritos on the first two ships it was on. Now, I've moved over to the taco side for breakfast and lunch. I still like the burritos, but the tortillas are made fresh and are a lot less breading. Plus, it's hard to add all the extra topping to the burritos. ;)

Thanks again for commenting on the review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and found it helpful.

The Sunshine is one Carnival ship I am very hesitant about and in my booking adventures have pretty much avoided. I know some think she's great, but I've read enough reviews that have scared me off to think of other ships instead.

I am trying to plan my future cruises around my mom's abilities. She should be getting her hip fixed at some point this year, and though she doesn't believe it, I think she's going to be suprised about how much more mobile she becomes. The Magic is booked, no going back on that now, but I think the Conquest is my next adventure after that. I've also learned they have the scenic ocean view cabins so I may be booking a very distant cruise with the hopes of snagging one of those.

Thank you for your thanks :) Mine is minuscule compared to your Pops. My grandfather was a WWII vet. He passed before I was old enough to get to know him, but I have his flag. It was passed on to me because my mother knew he'd want that and it's one of my greatest treasures. I have to tell you this as well. I am a nurse, and my very favorite patients are the grumpy old grandpas. I seem to just connect with them. It's probably because I love to hear their stories and truly have to pull myself away from listening to their history recounted first hand. We truly do not realize the treasures we have in these elder people and we need to appreciate that while we can. Please tell him a sappy lady from Wyoming thinks he's pretty awesome :)

On the Blue: YES..the tortillas made it! In my mid twenties I worked on a ranch in Texas. The Mexican guys there tried all they could to teach me to make good tortillas but I am apparently white girl challenged. I loved the bubbled up fresh ones at the taco line!

Question for you: Considering my mother's mobility..coming down from the fort, were there a lot of shops, so a lot of stops, along the way? I think she's going to be a lot better walking than she realizes, but frequent stops would be a good thing. I'm good with plenty of walking, but I worry if there are like 2 blocks in between stores or something. Also, did you make use of the town shuttle bus?

Yeesh, I'm typing your eyeballs out! Sorry! Would be fun to meet up with you on a cruise some day, I think we'd be fast friends.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thank you for an awesome review! Can't wait to sail in October!

Thanks for reading, especially an older review. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've got to check my settings; I didn't get a notice there was a new post on this thread.

I will give you one update I know of on the Conquest. Big Sexy/Josh is no longer the Cruise Director. He became a Daddy and decided to take a local job with Carnival in South Florida.