What to do After Disembark in Ft Lauderdale

jgraff426

You can get a day room at a hotel near the airport. Take an excursion - if you book through the cruise line they will handle your luggage. Rent a car for the day and store luggage in trunk and do a beach or shopping trip. Check out the ports forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Princess will check your luggage from the hall outside your cabin to the luggage pickup at your home airport. This would eliminate worrying about that. Service includes checking you in for the flights and printing boarding passes.

Do most hotels offer a day pass? I think the kids may like that idea and I may like the idea of taking a quick nap before our flight.

I should have mentioned we are arriving back from a Royal Caribbean cruise. Do they offer the luggage option?? (That would be unbelievably convenient!)

Suggestions:

• Day Rooms: check out the Renaissance on 17th Street and the Rodeway Inn. You can do a search on the Florida Departures board especially for the Rodeway (the Renaissance doesn't offer it every day so their aren't as many reviews).

• Rent a car to store your luggage and visit some of the local Fort Lauderdale attractions. See www.sunny.org for suggestions.

• Send your luggage early to the airport via your cruise line's luggage direct service. Take a cab to the Hilton Marina and spend the day hopping on and off the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com).

• If you can't/won't use luggage direct or rent a car and you are disembarking on the weekend you can store your luggage at the airport (www.bagstogo.net) and take the free sun trolley airport link (www.suntrolley.com) to downtown Fort Lauderdale (www.lasolasboulevard.com). There are museums, restaurants, galleries, and shops plus a water taxi stop. You can also take the beach link sun trolley route for $1/ride or $3/day pass to the beach.

Do most hotels offer a day pass? I think the kids may like that idea and I may like the idea of taking a quick nap before our flight.

I should have mentioned we are arriving back from a Royal Caribbean cruise. Do they offer the luggage option?? (That would be unbelievably convenient!)

Yes they do, it's called luggage valet. You will see the offer on your tv starting on day 2 or go to guest relations. You leave your luggage out as usual on the last night and won't see it again until you pick it up at your home airport. The cost is about $25 Per bag. You will receive special luggage tags and your flight boarding pass on your last night, Look it up on the RCCL website as it is only offered on about 6 or so airlines and they must be domestic flights, when you get to the airport you bypass the check in lines and go direct to boarding gate security.. happy cruising

In January I took the shuttle bus to the airport and rented a car for the day. Put all of the luggage in the trunk and drove to the beach. Walked up and down, stopped for a frozen cocktail or two and drove around a bit more. Went out for dinner then returned the car at the airport and headed in for the flight.

It was a beautiful day and my fiance actually got to stick his feet in the ocean for the first time ever (Our cruise was during a storm and we were unable to get off the ship throughout the cruise).

Hollywood, FL also has a beautiful beach with a boardwalk you can walk on too. It is just south of Ft. Lauderdale beach. Also, the drive North on A1A that goes along the ocean is a beautiful one.

Edited by AuntieSasa