Legend of the Seas pulling out of Brisbane

Sydney is the main cruise port for Australia. Personally if I was not sailing from Sydney I would prefer Melbourne before Brisbane any day.

All past stops in Brisbane have not left me with much confidence that the city has what it takes to manage cruise ships.

Sydney is the main cruise port for Australia. Personally if I was not sailing from Sydney I would prefer Melbourne before Brisbane any day.

All past stops in Brisbane have not left me with much confidence that the city has what it takes to manage cruise ships.

So why do you call yourself Brisbane41 and not Melbourne41 :confused::confused::confused:

Not much point living in the past is there....but in the not too distant future....Brisbane gets a brand new purpose built cruise terminal capable of accommodating Ovation and Oasis sized ships and is a day or two sailing closer (= cruise line $$$$) to the popular cruise destinations than Sydney which has reached its current capacity for cruise ships and then you have Melbourne which still sits in the middle of nowhere in regard to the popular cruise destinations and Brisbane is a no brainer ..not to mention its close proximity to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts and all their tourist attributes.

I assume the reason the pulled her out of Brisbane was not because of poor sales but because she costs too much to run. Due to the remoteness of the ports out here, the ship needs to use a lot more fuel and due to the ships smaller capacity, it wasn't worth having the ship based there. Since the best capacity (income wise for cruise lines) is the 140 000 t mark (been told directly from several officers for different lines). So I guess they are moving her to get closer ports. Then when Brisbane finally builds it's new wharf it will bring a bigger ship to the city.

While RCI claim they will home port in Brisbane again in the future, there are not many Qlders holding their breath for the new port. Proposal is the word of the moment, but we've heard that word before [emoji57]

So why do you call yourself Brisbane41 and not Melbourne41 :confused::confused::confused:

Not much point living in the past is there....but in the not too distant future....Brisbane gets a brand new purpose built cruise terminal capable of accommodating Ovation and Oasis sized ships and is a day or two sailing closer (= cruise line $$$$) to the popular cruise destinations than Sydney which has reached its current capacity for cruise ships and then you have Melbourne which still sits in the middle of nowhere in regard to the popular cruise destinations and Brisbane is a no brainer ..not to mention its close proximity to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts and all their tourist attributes.

Brisbane is the ship I served on hence the name.

The distance to the islands does not bother me. Proximity to the city is important when selecting a cruise port. For me I prefer circular quay in Sydney because the ship docks almost in the centre of the city.

Brisbane is the ship I served on hence the name..

OK Fair enough :D:D:D

The distance to the islands does not bother me. Proximity to the city is important when selecting a cruise port. For me I prefer circular quay in Sydney because the ship docks almost in the centre of the city.

The distance to the islands may not bother you (or me ...more sea days) but the cruise lines don't like spending extra money on fuel unnecessarily if it can be avoided.

It always intrigues me that people (not only you) get so "antsy" about where a cruise terminal is located in a city. I don't really care about where I spend the hour or so pre-cruise but more about the week or two I spend on the cruise

OK Fair enough :D:D:D

The distance to the islands may not bother you (or me ...more sea days) but the cruise lines don't like spending extra money on fuel unnecessarily if it can be avoided.

It always intrigues me that people (not only you) get so "antsy" about where a cruise terminal is located in a city. I don't really care about where I spend the hour or so pre-cruise but more about the week or two I spend on the cruise

I think with Sydney I have it easy. I can get a hotel that literally looks at the ship as it docks and can walk to the ship to board. I am not in a hurry, do not have to use taxis or order transport and can take my time. Disembarking in Sydney all I have to do is walk to the train station and either to the airport or central station.

Just like flying I spend the night before at a hotel close to the airport for a less rushed and stressed journey.

One of the reasons I do not like White Bay in Sydney is because I cannot walk there or walk from the place.

Melbourne you can use the trams.

Brisbane you are forced to use taxis.

I think with Sydney I have it easy. I can get a hotel that literally looks at the ship as it docks and can walk to the ship to board. I am not in a hurry, do not have to use taxis or order transport and can take my time. Disembarking in Sydney all I have to do is walk to the train station and either to the airport or central station.

Just like flying I spend the night before at a hotel close to the airport for a less rushed and stressed journey.

One of the reasons I do not like White Bay in Sydney is because I cannot walk there or walk from the place.

Melbourne you can use the trams.

Brisbane you are forced to use taxis.

Like I said ..an hours "inconvenience" for a weeks of enjoyment No big deal at all......where is the problem?

Edited by gbenjo