Union Station to Carnival Long Beach

StarryBugg

Since it's just my 5 y/o son and me going on this trip, I decided that it would be 'fun' for him to experience the AMTRAK train (plus, I am pregnant and it means instead of driving from AZ, I can get up and move/use the restroom as needed).

We arrive to Union Station in LA around 830-900'ish on Monday morning, which is the day of our departure. I am planning on having minimal luggage -- hopefully, just a backpack for each of us since it's only a 4 day cruise.

I know I could Uber it to Long Beach. Are there any other "fun" options for him to experience from there to LB?

Thank you!!

One of the few places LA transportation goes to is Long Beach. Takes about 2 hours to get to port. Mom, Sis and I have done this many times.

From Union Station take the

Red or Purple lines to the

7th Street Station, transfer to the

Blue line, to the

Long Beach Transit Mall.

Connect to the free Passport bus.

Can only go in one direction at all these stations. Each line starts at an endpoint.

metro.net Cost is $1.75 + $1 for the tap card for two hours. Check if there are special rates for kids. This route does go thru some rough areas of LA. We've never had an issue, only helpfulness.

http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx (free)

Catch the free Passport bus one block over on Ocean between Long Beach Blvd & Pine (more specifically between Collins and Locust), in front of the tall, white Art Deco-ish building. Confirm on a map.

Take the Passport to the Queen Mary. Walk straight off the bus, thru the 'village' to check in.

Going back ask where to get off to catch the Blue Line. It has changed a bit bc of time of day and construction.

On the way back, if you have time at Union Station, go across the street to Olvera Street, the old firehouse, China Town and Philip's French Dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Bathrooms--- in Union Station the cleaner bathrooms are located past the higher numbered platforms, to the right. Metro kiosks are here also.

No bathrooms on the colored lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Googling it gives you this explanation:

9:54 AM

Union Station--800 North Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Walk About 4 min , 0.1 mi

9:58 AM

Union Station

SubwayMetro Red Line (802)802 - North Hollywood Station

4 min (3 stops) · Stop ID: 80214

10:02 AM

7th Street / Metro Center

Walk About 1 min

10:10 AM

Light rail Metro Blue Line (801)801 Downtown Long Beach Station

58 min (20 stops) · Stop ID: 80122

11:08 AM

Downtown Long Beach

Walk

About 8 min

11:20 AM

Shoreline & Cedar NW

Bus Passport South / to Queen Mary Via Aquar

5 min (non-stop) · Stop ID: 3072

11:25 AM

Queen Mary London Town W

Walk About 3 min , 0.2 mi

11:28 AM

Carnival Cruise Lines

231 Windsor Way, Long Beach, CA 90802

Pretty much what Sadie said...

BUT...there are a lot of pluses and minuses to consider here...

The pluses:

It IS cheap.

You will be at Union Station anyway.

It IS different.

OTOH:

It does call for you to change trains or buses twice--so you have to be aware of where to go each time and risk going the wrong way or not being able to find what you are looking for.

It is "public transportation" through some of the "lesser" parts of the city--generally safe (as long as you are not getting off the train and wandering around)...but most riding the Metro are using it as their only form of transportation to get to and from jobs and other mundane responsibilities.

You are going to need to deal with not only your luggage, but keeping tight reins on your 5-year old.

So, yes, it would be a "different experience"...but, for me, I'd be tempted to stick with Uber...With Uber, you are getting "door-to-door" service...much simpler...You'll walk out of the front door of Union Station, catch your ride and be dropped off right at the front of the Carnival Cruise Terminal (Make sure the driver knows it's Carnival/Long Beach...All of the other cruise lines dock in San Pedro--about 6-8 miles away on the other side of the harbor). Less "adventure", but fewer things to go wrong...

One of the few places LA transportation goes to is Long Beach. Takes about 2 hours to get to port. Mom, Sis and I have done this many times.

From Union Station take the

Red or Purple lines to the

7th Street Station, transfer to the

Blue line, to the

Long Beach Transit Mall.

Connect to the free Passport bus.

Can only go in one direction at all these stations. Each line starts at an endpoint.

metro.net Cost is $1.75 + $1 for the tap card for two hours. Check if there are special rates for kids. This route does go thru some rough areas of LA. We've never had an issue, only helpfulness.

http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx (free)

Catch the free Passport bus one block over on Ocean between Long Beach Blvd & Pine (more specifically between Collins and Locust), in front of the tall, white Art Deco-ish building. Confirm on a map.

Take the Passport to the Queen Mary. Walk straight off the bus, thru the 'village' to check in.

Going back ask where to get off to catch the Blue Line. It has changed a bit bc of time of day and construction.

On the way back, if you have time at Union Station, go across the street to Olvera Street, the old firehouse, China Town and Philip's French

Students K-12 are $1. We fill the card for a round trip.

Make sure to tap the card at the stantion for the red/purple line and again at the blue line. There are people there to help.

We take a suitcase no larger than 22" and a tote.

About taking the Passport bus back to the blue line, just let the bus driver where you want to get off. They will tell when to get off.

Steve---:

Shoreline & Cedar NW

Long Beach and Pine is closer than Shoreline and Cedar. Google wasn't too friendly this time. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Googling it gives you this explanation:

9:54 AM

Union Station--800 North Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Walk About 4 min , 0.1 mi

9:58 AM

Union Station

SubwayMetro Red Line (802)802 - North Hollywood Station

4 min (3 stops) · Stop ID: 80214

10:02 AM

Walk About 1 min

10:10 AM

Light rail Metro Blue Line (801)801 Downtown Long Beach Station

58 min (20 stops) · Stop ID: 80122

11:08 AM

Downtown Long Beach

Walk

About 8 min

Shoreline & Cedar NW

Bus Passport South / to Queen Mary Via Aquar

5 min (non-stop) · Stop ID: 3072

11:25 AM

Queen Mary London Town W

Walk About 3 min , 0.2 mi

11:28 AM

Carnival Cruise Lines

231 Windsor Way, Long Beach, CA 90802

Pretty much what Sadie said...

BUT...there are a lot of pluses and minuses to consider here...

The pluses:

It IS cheap.

You will be at Union Station anyway.

It IS different.

OTOH:

It does call for you to change trains or buses twice--so you have to be aware of where to go each time and risk going the wrong way or not being able to find what you are looking for.

It is "public transportation" through some of the "lesser" parts of the city--generally safe (as long as you are not getting off the train and wandering around)...but most riding the Metro are using it as their only form of transportation to get to and from jobs and other mundane responsibilities.

You are going to need to deal with not only your luggage, but keeping tight reins on your 5-year old.

So, yes, it would be a "different experience"...but, for me, I'd be tempted to stick with Uber...With Uber, you are getting "door-to-door" service...much simpler...You'll walk out of the front door of Union Station, catch your ride and be dropped off right at the front of the Carnival Cruise Terminal (Make sure the driver knows it's Carnival/Long Beach...All of the other cruise lines dock in San Pedro--about 6-8 miles away on the other side of the harbor). Less "adventure", but fewer things to go wrong...

Steve,

FYI the Passport bus stop is on Ocean, between Pine and Pacific (about a 2 minute walk). And you can take the Red/Purple line to 7th Street station.

We have taken the lines down to LB many times with no problems.

The only downside to taking the colored lines is there are no bathrooms at any station other than Union Station and at the port.

If the OP takes Uber or Lyft (taxi is too expensive), then she needs to have a car seat for her child.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

As much fun as another 1-2h on a bus sounds.... LOL I think we will Uber it! I have a travel (inflatable booster) that we take on trips like this, so I can just throw that on my backpack.

Since it's a super short trip (and we're minimalists), I will only have a carry-on size backpack for us. His clothes are small and I'm just packing dresses for me (pregnant! haha) I'm not an overpacker by any means. He'd be fine on the bus, as he's pretty experienced with traveling by various means, but... I just don't want to spend that much time on a bus after being on the train.

Edited by StarryBugg

Early Check in starts at 9:30 in front of the Dome. No need to stay in the port. From the parking lot you can take the Passport bus to the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app